The not so concealed carriers

BamaBowtie

I have seen a few:rolleyes: weapons exposed by accident, but last night my wife and I stopped at McD's for a quick bite when in walked an elderly gent with the grip of a snubbie hanging out of his pocket. He had a Barami hip grip installed and just hooked on his front pocket. Here in Fl. that is frowned upon. The guy didn't stay long and in fact didn't even order. His wife wispered something in his ear and they got back in the car and left. I noticed they wer from Al. which does not allow OC either. The day before I was at Wendy's for a burger when a Loomis guard came in sporting a Colt trooper, when he left I watched him get into his personal vehicle, not on the job= no carry down here. What have you witnessed? Did you inform the guilty party? I usually mention it to the person if it is accidental, but people who make it obvious I tend to let them find out the hard way.

bearbong

I didn't actually see the weapon, but I was walking into the grocery store here in the great state of texas during the summer. My "assumed" fellow CCL holder had his tell tale camera vest and we pulling and fidgeting so much with the right side of his vest, I would have thought he was carrying fire ants for defense!! It was the most obvious tell I've run across, but it was a pretty good lesson too.

Last edited:

zombieslayer

Well, anyone carrying a weapon should fully understand the laws of their state, and any they plan on passing through. If the guy or gal is from Fl and hasn't read and understood sec790 I really don't feel too sorry for them. I like Vermont's stance on firearms. I'd consider moving but I hate snow!

Tucker 1371

I think I may end up being one of these but not necessarily by choice. I'm getting my CWP next month and the only handgun I have is a full size 1911 which I bought because it's what I shoot the best (so far). To make it worse I'm not quite 5'7" tall and weigh 150lbs.

I plan on getting something more concealable in the future when funds allow but for now I will try to hide the 1911 as best as possible. Once it gets cold I don't think I will have any problem.

OC is allowed in GA but I don't feel comfortable doing it; I don't see many people OC-ing on a daily basis either.

HighValleyRanch

Small frame with big guns

I think I may end up being one of these but not necessarily by choice. I'm getting my CWP next month and the only handgun I have is a full size 1911 which I bought because it's what I shoot the best (so far). To make it worse I'm not quite 5'7" tall and weigh 150lbs.

I plan on getting something more concealable in the future when funds allow but for now I will try to hide the 1911 as best as possible. Once it gets cold I don't think I will have any problem.

I am about your size, maybe a hair leaner, but I can easily conceal some pretty big guns. I think because of my narrow hips, the guns sit flatter!

I have an inside the waist holster that rides low, but is a strong side reverse draw. That way, the grip goes forward. No showing if bending over, and it rides pretty comfortable around 4 O'clock.

I have concealed a glock 17, many revolvers, and even a 7.5 inch blackhawk!
Yes, at one thanksgiving party we hosted at our house, with many friends that are not so firearms friendly, i tested this carry out. For two days,I carried the 7.5 inch blackhawk with just a flannel shirt covering.
Nobody noticed, and I even sat down, played with the kids, etc.
The long barrel rides along the hip area.
I find this a good way to test carry methods. The consequences are not as great if the technique does not work!:eek:

You have to practice safely drawing from the reverse grip. Do it slowly. Pull straight up out of the holster, making sure to keep it vertical along the side of your torso, and immediately point the gun, upside down towards downrange, and then roll it over as you come to horizontal. You can do this around step three of the gunsite type presentation. Practice over and over with an empty gun, and check in the mirror to see if the "laser" points anywhere you don't want. Irregardless of what many people say, you CAN draw safely with some practice.

Make sure your 1911 is empty and safe and try positioning it inside your waistband/belt to see how this works.

I can carry strongside with the grip tipped, but it always shows some bending over, because I am lean, front to back.

Fiv3

IN allows for open carry, but i attempt to hide my carry piece just out of courtesy to people who might be put off by it...also, the obvious tactical advantage should it be needed. I don't get too upset if the barrel of my pistol peeks out or something. I'm legal:)

That said, I was in Wendy's a few months ago and a guy was carrying an XD on one hip and a Glock on the other in cheap ballistic nylon holsters. Actually, when I first saw him, I only saw one of his pistols from the side and thought he might be a cop or something. He was wearing a tight fitting t-shirt with some sort of tactical logo on it. However, once I saw it was for some sort of MMA thing I had my doubts...and of course I don't know of many serious operators that go akimbo.

Lokpyrite

Well, anyone carrying a weapon should fully understand the laws of their state, and any they plan on passing through. If the guy or gal is from Fl and hasn't read and understood sec790 I really don't feel too sorry for them. I like Vermont's stance on firearms. I'd consider moving but I hate snow!

Well Zombieslayer, Arizona has much the same laws as Vermont and Alaska on not needing a lics. Ofcourse the problem aint snow here.

Daryl

Well, lets see...

Today I went out to Whetstone, back to town to stop by Wendy's for a couple of burders, back to Whetstone to bring my wife some lunch, and then came home about 3:30.

I was gone most of the day (8:30-3:30), and open carried the whole time. I'm pretty sure several people saw I my handgun, but none gave a second glance that I saw.

Pretty typical here, and all perfectly legal. I'll conceal when it gets colder, most likely. Too hot right now, and I enjoy being comfortable.

I think some people worry too much about how other people carry.

DAryl

BamaBowtie

For the folk that OC, I fully support your action and would on occasion OC myself if allowed. I am talking about witnessing people in concealed only states (Fl, Al, Tx, etc...) who are obviously breaking the law whether out of ignorance or ????. Matter of fact my own Mother-in-law is guilty of it. Years ago she and a friend stopped in Birmingham late one night in a shady part of town, there were a couple of guys hanging around the store. Two females in the ghetto late at night stuck out so she clipped her Taurus M605 on her pants and walked in for a cup of coffee. The thugs cleared out and they left without incident.

WC145

I'd pay them some more attention just because I know they're packing, but unless I'm on duty my only concern is whether or not that gun gets pointed my way. As long as it stays where it's at, their ability to conceal, or lack there of, has nothing to do with me.

Dress like a plumber. When they bend over no one notices the gun.
I didn't need that visual :eek:

My state doesn't require absolute concealment, so I'm a bit indifferent about it. I keep the weapon relatively concealed, but someone who knows guns might spot a bulge or the bottom of a holster poking out. The average person is unlikely to.

Most people have truly dismal awareness of their surroundings.

Now, if I'm in Florida or Texas, I'm a wee bit more careful, but I can't remember the last time I was spotted.

Wait, no, I can. A few of us were sitting at a restaurant, and it was getting late. People at other tables were imbibing adult beverages. Two of us had our faux camera vests on, and one guy took particular interest.

He stared at us for awhile, so I asked him if anything was wrong. He smiled and said, "I know what you guys are." Great; here it comes...

"You're....you're...photographers!"

Yes sir, we certainly are. Enjoy your dinner.

ClydeFrog

Bloopers, blunders, misconduct..

I've seen a few blips & bloops over the years but if I'm on my own time, I just ignore it. I'd make a formal complaint or say something if it was really serious or unsafe but in general, I just let it go, ;).
I've worn firearms concealed & on armed posts(in the US military/LE and licensed security). I've had yahoos & "self-appointed" lawdogs bug me about laws/weapons/use of force issues etc but I've just explained myself or told the person in a polite, tactful way to go #%+$ themselves, ;).
I'd suggest that before making any remarks or starting any dispute with an armed citizen or professional, I'd know & understand the laws or SOPs and be ready to fully support your statements or actions in a criminal/civil court.
I can't speak for others who work in non-sworn, armed professions but I would set a land speed record for filing a defamation or slander civil suit for anyone who lodged a formal complaint with my state's Div of Licensing. I and/or my lawyer(s) would rip any bogus claim apart, then demand full legal recourse for the lost wages, mental anguish, making a false report, fraud, etc.
Some gun owners & cops/veterans/service members etc think they can "mouth off" at anyone they want about firearms/gear/uniforms/etc. In 2010, that could get you sucked into a huge mess that could have been avoided by acting like a mature adult.

EdInk

I think most (of us) "gun guys" are more prone to "just look" at other's guns because it is something of interest to us. I almost ways look to see what kind of gun a cop, armed guard, OC'ing person is carrying on them. It doesn't really make much difference or anything, we just like to look at guns.

It's like "car guys" will look at other people's car and make comparisions to their own car in their head. Another example is when "any guy" glances at a pretty girl. You're just admiring a thing of beauty on a basic level.

In regards to concealment, being "gun people" we make it a bigger deal
because it is something of interest to us. I don't the the majority of
people "even think about" non-uniformed people carrying guns on them. The exception being when they see someone that looks like a "street gang" member. I say "street gang" because even when people see 1% bikers and mob-style gang members, they don't "worry" about them. I guess because they have less of reputation (true or not) for attacking random innocent people.

When (and if) ordinary people notice a person's ccw weapon, I think most just assume they have a carry permit and that's the end of the issue.

ET.

ClayIn Tx said:
Dress like a plumber. When they bend over no one notices the gun.

OMG! This just happened in my local gun store 2 days ago:

My next door neighbor & I went shooting there. While we were checking in @ the store/range we noticed a rather large man bending over to look at a gun in the case.

I nudged my neighbor and said "Look at that".
(I was refering to his 1911 hanging out of his shirt.)
My next door neighbor said "That should be outlawed"
I said "Hell no, I like seeing it"
(He looked at me like he didn't even know me anymore.)
I said "What".
He said "You like looking at that guys crack?"
I said "NO! I was looking at his handgun. You're the one looking at his butt".:eek:

Funny story - a buddy of mine lives in an adjoining state. He was out on his gun range doing drills when one of his targets broke. It needed a new bolt. He didn't have any so he thought he would pop into town and get some. So he is in the hardware store and a clerk comes over and asks if he needed help. He said he thought he had what he needed and so the clerk then asked if he liked guns. He replied that the bolts were for his targets, why? The clerk pointed to his waist.

In his haste to get the parts, he had forgotten to conceal. He was able to untuck his shirt to cover things, but as he noted, the though never entered his mind about being concealed that day.

Since then, he and the clerk have actually gotten to know one another and occasionally have shot together. Sometimes, maybe not often, but sometimes something good comes from dunderheaded mistakes.