The most accurate rifle for the lowest price

2ndtimer

If you have a Cabela's nearby, check out their Savage 10T. In 308 Win, it is very accurate and frequently on sale or offered with mail in rebate available.
I got mine for $429 after rebate and it has proven to be very accurate with 168 gr Federal Gold Medal Match or equivalent handloads. Unfortunately my photos of groups were too large a file to attach.

BigAl73

Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor

Picked mine up for $350.00 out the door a few months ago. Decided to make a decent long range project out of it.
Got a great deal on a Timney trigger and good glass and rings.
Shoots great and tends to like the 120 grain Hornady match (not finished testing shelf ammo and grains yet).
Not a big fan of the factory stock and had to trim a bit from the fore end to get the free float.
Ordered the new Boyd's At One stock, that should be in about a week from now. It's made for the Ruger American short action and is cool looking as heck. Picked the two interchangeable fore ends and grips (target and hunting). First got a look at this new stock at Wannamakers in Tulsa and fell in love with the design. It's suppose to be a complete drop in and I may make a change such as bedding but don't know yet.
The gun is a great shooter. Being new to the 6.5 I was floored at the quality of this factory barrel and action at this price. The factory stock is free floated but crap because that's how then kept the price down.
The boyd's ran about $185.00.
I also added a Odin Atlas 6.5 comp.
Here's a picture of my gun as it is now and a pic (from the Boyd site) of the At One I ordered to replace the stock.
FYI: I have pics of the Odin comp install as well as the Timeny trigger install is there is any interest in me posting them.
I will also post either a vid or pics of the stock install if there is any interest here.

Attachments

• Atlas 8 at range ready to test.JPG
    Atlas 8 at range ready to test.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Boyds At one.jpg
    Boyds At one.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 36

Don Fischer

Dear Don,
I'll be sure to mention that the NEXT time a pack of 11 coyotes comes in on me again.

11? No problem. Shoot'em one at a time! :)

Don Fischer

This Mossberg Patriot I recently got is surprising me. Bought one box on inexpensive Federal ammo and first three group out of the box were 1 1/8", 1" and 7/8". Had a hard time with the weather and a couple brain fart's but once it got a bit warmer, the wind and rain quit, it's doing great with handloads. 70gr SMK's are shooting 1/2" and under. If some one told me a factory rifle out of the box would do that, I wouldn't have believed it. Haven't done one thing to the rifle other than work up handloads with the 70gr SMK's. I'm in shock. Makes me want another just to see if it would work again! Might add, I've had a bunch of different rifle's brand new and most I was about to get down to just under a inch and that was fine with me. With a lot of tinkering all have become very accurate. The only factory rifle's I haven't had to re-bed Was this Mossberg and my mod 70 in 6.5x55. To get the most from all the other's it required bedding.

I paid $299 brand new with a plastic stock and soon as I got home called Mossberg and ordered the wood stock. Those first group's with Fed factory ammo were fired with the plastic stock on it. All the SMK loads came from the wood stock. Might add that I found no bedding problem's with the plastic stock so I suspect it would shoot like the wooden stock also. When I got the wood stock it was a drop in, didn't do anything but bolt it in. Right now if I was going to get another new rifle it would be another Patriot, no doubt in my mind. It also has the best out of the box trigger I have ever found. 2 3/4# right out of the box. It's adjustable but I'm not messing with it. Some time making it better is the thing you shouldn't do. My next best was my mod 70. 5# out of the box and broke like glass, it now breaks at three pounds. That one I adjusted down to 3#. I have three mod 700's and new they were all very heavy but fairly crisp. I've reduce every one to 3# and they are very very nice. But, I had to re-adjust them. They all needed bedding. My 700ADL in 243 in a plastic stock taking a lot of work. I had to slam the barrel on the back of the couch just to get the action out of the stock! Worst bedding I've ever seen in any rifle. I love the 700's and it appear's that the mod 70 is special too, but none came to me out of the box as well as the Mossberg Patriot did.

Last edited:

tobnpr

Guess I'm a bit surprised about most of the above responses...
As though TRUE half-minute accuracy is easily achieved with a Ruger American and FACTORY ammo.

Even FGMM and Black Hills are unlikely to deliver that level of consistency from a custom rifle...

1/2 minute accuracy consistently with factory ammunition is a pipe dream...

lewwetzel

I picked up one of those heavy-barreled Savage 12 FV Cabelas's specials last week, as I was wanting a .22-250 with a 1:12-twist barrel to stabilize the 53 and/or 60 gr. V-Max bullet (the $369 sale price didn't hurt, either!) I handload but happen to have some (discontinued) 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip Federal Premium ammo from a spell 8 or so years ago when I didn't have time to. Looks like that combo could easily do a 5-shot 1/2 inch group, even in a breeze and including post-cleaning fouling shots; tried another lot number and it took off where the last one left off. I'll try to post some pics, but having too much fun right now. This is the first ammo I tried, btw.
I also have a C-Z 527 Varmint Kevlar in .204R that'll easily do honest 9/16" groups with FP 39 Sierra BK of the same vintage (3 round groups because box ammo - even that long ago - isn't cheap.)
200 yard groups may be another thing altogether, but haven't shot a group there yet; no accuracy problem so far at longer ranges when groundhog hunting with the .204, however.