The M1 Carbine

Chris_B

I have no issues finding USGI 15 rounders, and I live in Massachusetts, the antechamber to hell as far as guns go. I think that a few commercial firms could claim to make 'mil spec' M1 carbine mags but my suggestion would be to stick with original USGI magazines; they are very high quality in my opinion

I think the CMP has them. Try gunbroker as well. They also come up from time to time for sale to members at usmilitariaforum

I'm astonished at the things you can still find; all these M1 carbine mags are original USGI, even the one at far left which looks like it was made yesterday. The more beat-up looking ones function perfectly though
closer.jpg

Last edited:

RGPM1A

I always wanted and M1 carbine. The CMP doesn't have anymore except for really expensive ones on auction now so I went to some gun stores looking for them. A good USGI carbine around where I live (if you can find one) costs at least $700 to $900. So I started looking at the Auto Ordnance (Kahr) and Plainfield guns. Almost bought a new AO/Kahr for $700 but found a lot of negative reviews on various forums regarding reliability and/or poor workmanship. Also found a Plainfield for $400 but didn't buy it because it had some problems - bolt catch pin hole was worn out and the barrel was not indexed right. Still looking for a good USGI. Should have bought one years ago when the CMP was still the DCM.

NWPilgrim

Even though I was building up a few AR15 rifles a couple of years ago, I couldn't resist picking up a couple of M1 Carbines when the opportunity presented itself. I already had a couple of Garands, but had heard so much about the carbines. And with grandkids coming along I got to thinking a Carbine might be a nice step up from a .22LR for them someday. And if I can ever get my wife to shoot she might like a Carbine better than an AR.

Both of my Carbines are Inland 1942. Both have shot flawlessly with Federal AE and reloads (15.0 gr W296) with FMJ and SP. They are always a favorite at the range. Never met anyone who doesn't get a kick out of shooting them.

BTW, a Carbine deserves a stock mounted double mag pouch! :D

I think a SP load would be very effective for self defense or small game to 100 yds.

RGPM1A:
I'm glad that you researched the issues and probably made the right decision.
You might have read the description of how (don't know why) the bolt got somehow jammed/stuck in my brand-new AO Carbine back in October '07.
$750 at "Guns And Ammo", Summer Ave, Memphis TN, and it was my first gun purchase, then age 52. "Prior planning (reading) prevents ****-poor purchase".

The gun was treated/handled very gently. The factory repair staff never explained what happened. And guys often call the SKS Commie junk;
very ironic-I have a Norinco. If the SKS is "Commie junk", then the junk works remarkably well after 2,000 rds. or more, unlike the brand-new US product I tried out on impulse, which jammed after about 300 rds.of new Rem. ammo from Bass Pro, on Sycamore View. :eek:.

Last edited:

Terry A

Thanks everybody for the great responses. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences with the M1. I'm going to keep my eye out for one to purchase.

kraigwy

I just came in from a shooting session with my CMP Underwood Carbine. I figure I'll only shoot it in GSM Carbine matches so pretty much all I shoot it at is the SR1 (NRA 200 yard target reduced to 100 yards).

This gun was made in Jan '44. Pretty good shape. I fired 40 rounds and never had a problem keeping them in the black (9-10-X ring). A couple sneaked out but that was me getting sloppy, not the gun.

I still cringe when I think I almost missed out on the CMP Carbine sales. I was gonna pick one up at the North Store in Sept when I went to the GSM Master Instructor's Course. I got yancy and ordered it the last of June. By Sept they were gone.

Those little suckers shoot, you got to give them that.

Brit

A little twist on UN fired Guns, a Remington 1100 Shot Gun, went to a impromptu 3 gun match, my buddy had a new, in Box 1100.

I said "You are nuts, you have not fired it?"

"This is Remington!" pull trigger at the start, no bang! It never did, off to Gun Shop, he said a drill was broken in the bolt!

I know, you don't believe it, I didn't either at the time.

MrAcheson

The "Tanker Garand" was never a military issue rifle.

After the paratrooper generals asked for a carbine M1 Rifle, Springfield Arsenal built a couple of experimental models.
They concluded the muzzle blast and recoil was too excessive and when the war ended before they could do much more with the idea, they dropped the project.
There were only a couple of these made and only 2 or 3 survive in museums.
One is in the Springfield Armory museum in Springfield Mass.
This. Another is at the US Army Ordnance Museum. Currently that's at Aberdeen Proving Ground in MD but it is in the process of moving to Fort Lee outside Richmond, Va.

Hawg

I know this is an old post but my Universal only needed the feed ramp polished to reliably feed soft points. It's been banging away since it was new in 1969. Pic isn't very good but you can tell it's never been a safe queen.

M-1.jpg

velocette

The little carbine can also be customised into an attractive and handy rifle with Mannlicher style stock & a Browning 2x scope.
I traded a revolver for this Inland rifle already customised. With the change of a few springs and a good cleaning, it is reliable and moderately accurate. It shoots anything I can stuff into the magazines, my reloads too (15.0 W296 / H110 & 110gr SP bullets) The Korean mags are excellent both the 15 rd and the 30 rd. By the way, the 30 rd Korean mags have a follower that will hold open the bolt after the last round is fired.

Roger
carbinear12-11004.jpg

carbinear12-11001.jpg

Sun Tzu

Best Carbine ever imho...

Armed Citizens,

The venerable 30cal. carbine w/a "16" barrel is a perfect HD weapon for myriad reasons...:)

It works!

It is lightweight even when fully loaded w/a 30 rnd mag...

It is easy to convert it to a cool looking polymer paratrooper style w/a black Choate Stock from Arkansas... :rolleyes:

It is easy to mount optics w/an after market weaver style rail system...

A real USGI mil spec carbine will always work!;)

An Auto Ordinance GI mil spec carbine will too!:cool:

I own both a 1944 dated, matching serial, Underwood that served in Normandy and a GI mil spec Auto Ord too!:D

Seriously, both weapons are fun to own an look at w/all their original stock furniture and accessories...:eek:

So if ya dig military weapons that are cool then get a REAL 30CAL CARBINE!!!

"I'd rather have a gun and not need it; then need a gun and not have it"...
Christian Slater "True Romance" 1992

pooka

Carbines

I think they are great little weapons:D I own 3, a '44 inland M1A1, an early '44 IBM, correct featured, (orig fipper, type 1A band) and an IBM receivered Underwood bbl'd build up. I bought it as a mint stripped rec, then found a likenew Underwood bbl, and I had the rest of the parts. The M1A1 is fun to shoot, but my IBM mixmaster is my go to. All funtion w/o a bobble with ball ammo, never tried sp or hp ammo, but I just may get some and funtion fire it.

jimmythegeek

My AOM160 sprays vertically - any suggestions?

I was shooting off a bench rest this weekend and at 50 yards I was hitting from about 2"-8" above POA. For comparison, I shot a .22 and had a 2" group without even trying.

Any suggestions? Anybody seen anything similar?

Airborne Falcon

Could be anything if you are hitting that high.

Could be bent barrel, bad crown, bad sights or bad sight picture or it could simply be shooter error.

Take a straight edge of some sort, preferably a metal straight edge like a metal yardstick or something, and check the barrel.

Get out a magnifying glass and check the crown.

Examine the front sight post to see if it appears to have any filing marks or to see if the bead, or top of the post, had been broken-off.

There is a reason, you just have to find it.

jimmythegeek

My problem is spraying in that range

If I was getting a group like I did with the .22, I'd understand.

I'll have a look at the barrel and barrel band, maybe it's loose.

dalegribble

i have always loved the m1 carbine. i finally had a chance to buy one from big 5 quite a while back. it is a commerative from iai that is a very good shooter with what i believe is a target grade barrel. i like it alot and it is pretty darn accurate.