The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Sig vs Sig

The 2022 is a solid, very durable pistol. The fit and finish is excellent, and it isn't grossly overwieght like the 250. The trigger is awesome, very crisp and light SA with a smooth DA. Night sights come standard. Make sure this is the newer version with the reduced grip size (there are several interchangible grip sizes, the newest ones are smaller). The Richmond Police issue it.

Que

and it isn't grossly overwieght like the 250.

The 2022 weighs 26.9 ounces with mag. The comparable 250 compact weighs 25 ounces with mag.

Shoot both. Just dry firing a gun in a shop will tell you something, but can also be very misleading as to how the gun will perform for you in actual firing.

As to the P250, make up your own mind about it. The 2022 is a fine gun but is very different than the 250, more traditional. It's probably the better choice for most people. I own and shoot both the P250 and the 2022.

Thanks for all the helpfull input guys. I will look a little harder at the SP 2022, but i'm still not quite sold that I will like it better than the Glock 17. Glocks seem to fit my hands well but I need a little variety, right?

WVsig

Of the 2 get the SP2022. It is a better gun overall IMHO. Both at $399 are overpriced. The SP2022 is a $379 gun and the P250 is a $350 gun. So depending on your discount you might not be getting a deal. LOL

I personally do not like the trigger on the P250. Too long and too long a reset. It is smooth enough but the reset is the killer for me. Their reliablity track record has not been good. It seems to be getting better now that the market has completed Sigs beta testing.

The SP2022 is a solid polymer which at its sub $400 price point makes it one of the best values on the market. All the R&D was paid for by the French contract which is why they can price them so aggressively. There have been some reported issues with the 40 S&W version but most have been solid.

if you want a real sig, try out one of the srt models. those things are sweet! if you really feel like having an amazing piece without the price tag of an x5, go with the uspsa model. they have the nitron stainless finish, srt trigger, competition sights, high quality mags, etc. i even saw one ending today on gunbroker with NIGHT SIGHTS installed for under $800. A STEAL!

There is nothing "real" about the SRT trigger. It is a Cohen Sig creation. A solution looking for a problem. Sig has become a bastardization of its former self. The are running the Kimber playbook of 10,000 models of the same gun trying to appeal to everyone at a premium price. :cool:

If you want a "real" Sig get a classic W German gun like a P226, P220, P228, P230 or P225.

Last edited:
Of the 2 get the SP2022. It is a better gun overall IMHO. Both at $399 are overpriced. The SP2022 is a $379 gun and the P250 is a $350 gun.
That's funny, because the 2340 ran something like $600 back in the day, and nobody thought that was a ripoff. At $400, the 2022 is a heck of a bargain.

All the R&D was paid for by the French contract which is why they can price them so aggressively.
The design predates that. The Gendarme contract simply changed the rail to a Picatinny standard and changed the shape of the trigger guard.

Sig has become a bastardization of its former self.
I really don't think this is what the OP was asking.

WVsig

That's funny, because the 2340 ran something like $600 back in the day, and nobody thought that was a ripoff. At $400, the 2022 is a heck of a bargain.

IIRC the Sig community did think it was a rippoff. They did not sell well and the orginal 2340 and 2009s were blown out at CDNN for around $400. The Sig Pro line was initally a failure. They had no economy of scale and they were way over priced. People did not see $600 worth of value in a Sig Poly when you could get a Sig P series for about the same money.

The design predates that. The Gendarme contract simply changed the rail to a Picatinny standard and changed the shape of the trigger guard.

Some of the design like the trigger box goes back before the French contract but the gun currently being sold as the Sp2022 was developed for the French and it is that large contract which allows the pistol to be sold for what it is. They paid for the equipment to produce the pistol taking that cost out of the equation and the commerical market has benefitted from it. The Sig Pro line did not start to sell well until the all German, night sights, 3 mag black box French contract overruns hit the US.

I really don't think this is what the OP was asking.

I was replying to loose_holster_dan and maybe I missed it but your profile does not say "moderator" on it sooooo maybe you should leave moderation up to those that do. This is a thread about Sigs and I made a comment about Sigs. If you don't like it don't read it.

Of the 2 get the SP2022. It is a better gun overall IMHO. Both at $399 are overpriced. The SP2022 is a $379 gun and the P250 is a $350 gun. So depending on your discount you might not be getting a deal. LOL

20% off any firearm, so it would be $319.99 for either...

WVsig

Again back to the OP. I think the SP2022 is a superior gun to the P250. It has a much better track record of reliablity and shootabilty. It has a better trigger in the DA mode and has an SA mde which makes for a better reset than the long DAO trigger of the P250.

That said if you are a long time revolver shooter the P250 might be a better gun for you. Lots of revolver guys report liking it similar to the way the DAK trigger was also popular with revolver guys.

In the end shooting them is the only real way to know which one is better for you.... ;)

Solid... Have you shot either of them? The P250 trigger really is a love hate thing IMHO.

I have not shot either of these, and come to think of it, I can't recall having ever shot a Sig of any model...

I think it might be time that I hit the range and rent a couple. I usually am fortunate enough to know someone who has one that I can shoot for just the cost of ammo, but I don't think anyone I know owns a Sig...

Will Beararms

I know I have posted this no less than 1,200 times in internet land and probaboy at least five times in this thread but I actually like and embrace the classic Sig DA/SA ignition system.

What is the deal about a smooth, crisp, single action trigger these days? It makes for some fun time on the range with family and friends and engenders confidence. Look if I have to shoot someone, God forbid, it will be prima facie that I could nothing else but shoot-----running would be out of the question. I will not carry some spongy hybrid action or a long double action handgun because I am worried about the courts. Besides this, if I have to use a firearm in public, I want to be as accurate as possible.

Last edited:

RC20

I have an SP2022 and its an outstanding gun regardless of what make or mfg you compare it to (hammer fired, and I do not care for strikers).

As stated, it handles well, shoots well, is very accurate, reliable and matches up with guns twice the price (poly or all metal in my opinion and I have shot a lot of hammer and 1911 models, inlcuding a P220 which the SP2022 has a very similar feel to.

If you do not like the hammer fired, then skip it. Keep in mind you can pull the hammer back and have a very good SA trigger.

No experice with the P250.

jerryboy

Get the 2022...mine has been flawless, qualified for my CWP w/a perfect score with mine, and the trigger is every bit as good as my SIG 226....no better deal anywhere in pistoldom for around $400

10mm4ever

No poly frame stuffed with stamped metal is a "steal" as far as I'm concerned. Take a break from the zipguns and give a Beretta or CZ75 a try if you really want some variety.

bsg1

the SP2022 is lots of gun for little money.

i've been a fan of the w german Sig Sauer since 1985... but imo the SP2022 is one worth serious consideration for ownership.