The Good Old Days are Gone

B.L.E.

In the good ol' days, people bought mil surp rifles for cheap and "sporterized" them, making them look like hunting rifles.

Now we do the opposite, doing our best to make a Ruger 10-22 cosmetically resemble a military rifle with all sorts of bolt on mall-ninja bling.

shootniron

Oh yeah, the "Good Old Days". I can tell you that the "Good Old Days" are greatly overrated, and they weren't that good to begin with.

For the most part, these are the good old days. We have so many more options for guns, commercial ammo, reloading components, reloading equipment, scopes...on and on. Yeah, I will take the way it is today...

2ndsojourn

B.L.E:
"In the good ol' days, people bought mil surp rifles for cheap and "sporterized" them, making them look like hunting rifles.

Now we do the opposite, doing our best to make a Ruger 10-22 cosmetically resemble a military rifle with all sorts of bolt on mall-ninja bling."

:D Yeah, Ain't that the truth. But to each his own.

YankeeSpirit76

"I think we need to get away from the AR and other semi-auto toys/games and get more into accuracy games that don't use either overly expensive ammo or large quantities."

Yeah, let's get rid of those "toys" that you apparently don't care about so they can place their bulls-eye over bolt action rifles and pump shotguns, and whatever else is left. Then they can start on BB and pellet guns.

tahunua001

About a year ago, I wrote a blog, stating that we were in some of the best of times regarding guns and shooting. There were wonderful new guns, great ammo, plentiful supplies and after-market parts. Laws were the least restrictive in decades.
How quickly things can change. Laws are soon to be at least somewhat more restrictive.

laws are not going to change in the least on anything but a local level. regardless of what fox/cnn/nbc want you to think, obama has acomplished nothing with his gun ban and will never get it past congress and the senate, especially with the debt ceiling debate heating up again, this will get put on the back burner where it will be forgotten and rot. the executive orders that he has laid out can only go on to INCREASE ENFORCEMENT OF ALREADY EXISTING LAWS, he can not change existing laws or add new ones through executive order so stop worrying about gun laws getting more restrictive.

Ammo has suddenly become scarce and prices are going through the roof!!!
this is private party profiteers and doomsday preppers. my LGS told me of a man that starting the day after SH, bought 10,500 rounds of 22lr ammo a day for 2 weeks until they started rationing ammo sales and then magically armslist in my area began seeing lots of advertisements for $65 bricks of 22lr ammo... coincidence? I think not...

Will our sport soon become, once again, the utopia we had come to expect? Not likely.
we've seen it all before, 2008/2009 were just as ghastly, bleak, and infuriating as it is now, AKs and ARs doubled and tripled in price. ammo was nowhere to be found. I am thinking that you are a new enthusiast otherwise you would realize that the gun market changes with the seasons, the sky may be the limit one month and then politicians will start to push gun laws and then the sky is falling the next.

I think we need to get away from the AR and other semi-auto toys/games and get more into accuracy games that don't use either overly expensive ammo or large quantities.
what you fail to realize is that the two are identical from and economical standpoint. your 30-06, 308, all the regular players in those "accuracy over volume" competitions cost close to, if not more than $1 per round and in some cases, $3 per round. an AR15 is just as capable of being accurized to be a target rifle as a bolt action and 223, is much cheaper, if you have the trigger discipline to not go off like it's Nam then the AR is more economical. you can buy a budget AR15, and throw in a RRA 2 stage trigger for the same price as a Ruger M77 and both will shoot equally well, for the price of having the stock on the M77 bedded, you can free float the handguard on the AR, at this point you have 2 rifles that are more than capable of sub MOA accuracy. the only difference is that the AR is about a foot shorter, and can be much more useful in a SD/HD situation than a bolt action with 24 inch barrel.
The CMP program is promoting sporter matches/targets that seem like fun. Metallic silhouette for ranges under 200 yards also seems like fun.
CMP is not the only game in town when it comes to friendly competition and marksmanship workshops. NRA, IDPA(yeah I know pistol only), and USPSA(same difference) all offer friendly competition and most can be done just as cheaply as any CMP match. then there are local organizations. where I'm from there is a Mosin Nagant club, I'm not a member but I've been to the range on one of their comp days and it looks like tons of fun, too bad I didn't own a MN at the time but oh well...

SPEMack618

What worries me, and this just hit me today, and in fact makes me long for the old days of last March, is that I might have to reduce the number of boys that can take the rifle merit badge this summer.

Not to mention how I'm gonna break it to the Scout Executive that a $5 fee per boy is now a thing of the past.

And this isn't really all that high volumn shooting rapid fire shooting either, each kid gets maybe a 100 rounds through the course of the week, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. And has to load it one round at a time, no mag, no tube.

the rifleer

To the people talking about the great deals of long ago, check this out.

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

If you play with it you will see that gun prices have actually stayed pretty much the same with inflation. Sure, guns cost less back in the day, but people made less too.

When calculating gun prices, also factor in the advances in technology and manufacturing processes. Today you can buy a rifle that costs less, is more accurate and weighs almost half as much as a 75 year old rifle.

PawPaw

I remember, in the early '60s (I was a pre-teen) sitting on big cardboard drums of powder in the reloading room of the local Rod and Gun club. Mostly IMR 4895 and IMR 4831, plus Bullseye and Unique. Members could buy it by the pound, but you had to bring your own container and it cost 20 cents per pound. .22LR ammo was almost free, as it was govt surplus ammo, and brass in common military calibers was free for the asking. that is what I consider the good old days, as I was an impressionable 10-year old and thought that the reloading room at that club was as close to heaven as I'd ever get.

Nowadays we actually pay less for ammo than we did in those days, taking inflation into account. However, those guys in those days strived hard for 1" groups with the rifles of the day and a rifle that would shoot consistently into that magic inch was treated like gold and spoken about in hushed tones. Nowadays nearly every rifle we get out of the box is capable of that or better with very little tweaking. This insanity will pass and we'll get back to the point where we were six months ago. Heck, I'm already seeing primers and powder locally.

Picher

The improvements to bullets, factory ammo, and rifles in the past 10 years is incredible! We have plastic-tipped solid copper or gilding metal bullets, plastic-tipped lever-action rounds, a plethora of new powders, great scopes, etc.

Rifles that are guaranteed to shoot MOA out of the box, for less than $500, are a joy. I remember guys spending a month's pay on custom-built hunting rifles that wouldn't shoot better than 1 1/2 MOA.

Accurizing technology and new rounds have resulted in rifles that can lethally hit a target over a mile away. Ballistics computers allow military snipers to make first-shot kills at incredible distances.

I'm in pretty good shape, ammo-wise, but haven't horded ammo, just try to keep enough powder and rimfire ammo to do as much shooting as I normally do. Prior to retirement, I stocked up a bit, just because I wouldn't have as much money to spend. Having handloaded for over 50 years, I have all the tools needed, including casting equipment, so that's a big help. It's nice to also have the time to handload and test ammo.

Although it's discouraging to see nearly empty ammo shelves in sporting good stores. Stuff will sort itself out in time, probably at least a year to do so, depending on what Congress does.

Meanwhile, I noticed plenty of .22-250 ammo in a couple of stores, so if you need a new varmint rifle, it might be a good chambering.

stubbicatt

Picher can defend his statements himself if he wishes, but *perhaps* he meant we should slow down and shoot less ammo per setting, something a bolt actioned rifle or similar is good at. The AR is a great rifle in its own right, even though I don't like them much. But even I can see that the right to own and shoot said poodle shooter is paramount.

Anymore, I don't shoot my handloads much, and have resorted to x54r ammo, as that I can still get.

Once supplies appear on the shelves again, we will enjoy what we have.

As far as proposed legislation goes, I'm not seeing a steamroller like the last time we faced the AWB. There is much opposition, and these bills don't seem to be gaining the traction the anti's desire.

But I agree with Picher that the last few years has seen some of the best times to be a firearms owner. Plentiful ammo, components, and a wide variety of firearms. I also agree with another contributor that the quality of many firearms I have purchased since the late 1990's has not been very good. In fact, I used to joke, that whenever I bought an American made firearm in that period, there is no reason to take it out of the box and inspect it, I KNOW that something is wrong, just send it back and save the feeling of betrayal and anger.

Keg

2ndsojourn, I used to buy mauser's and arisaka's out of 55 gallon drums for 15.00 at Gibson's.

I remember seeing barrels full of mil surplus rifles at Gibsons....

Picher

Thanks for commenting on this post. I expected it to provoke strong feelings. It was an expression of what is happening in the market today and what may happen to our gun rights.

We're at a watershed in our favorite pastime. I hope everything comes out well, but regardless, we need to stick together to defend and promote responsible gun ownership and use. Contact your Representatives and Senators today, but be civil about it. Remember that it's okay to object, as long as we're not objectionable.

John

Meeteetse

It is interesting to read what others think of the "good ole days" and what they mean to each of us. For me growing up in the 50's and 60's the "good ole days" means having the time and a place to shoot. Growing up in Wyoming you didn't have to go far out of any town to find open space to target shoot or hunt small game. I don't know how to make the inflationary comparison between then and now, but even at $1.25/hr wages, we bought .22 for 50 cents for 50 shorts, 60 cents for longs and 70 cents for LR. A brick of 500 was $5, so was a pair of blue jeans and a case of beer. We sold the rabbits we shot to a mink farmer for 50 or 60 cents each and had a great time. We bought gas for $0.29/gal. and got the oil checked and the windshield washed while someone else pumped the gas. Gun shops were well stocked with things I couldn't afford, but Dad had a 30/30 and a Remington 12ga pump and I had Mossberg .22 rifle and a Ruger MK I .22 pistol. What more did you need?

People were nicer to each other and no one I knew locked their house or their car or truck. Most pickup trucks had a 30/30 in the window and everyone stopped to help if someone had trouble on the road. People opened doors for each other and said please and thank you. We liked to talk with people face to face or on the phone. We didn't text or email cause it didn't exist. Things were more personal. We worked Monday thru Friday and sometimes Saturday, but we played Friday and Sat. night. Most went to church on Sunday and almost all stores were closed. Small corner grocery stores rotated so that someone was open on Sunday, but that was about it. We did things as a family or a group of friends, hunting, fishing, BBQ, picnics or playing baseball in the summer. Many of you will say it sounds boring or "corny", but people liked each other. We didn't hide behind high fences or double locked doors. We didn't have the choices available now and we didn't know we missed anything. After all these years I've found that accumulating stuff isn't as much fun as appreciating what little we may have. For me the good ole days are more about the life style we had without interference from Big Brother. I used to know my neighbors, but they don't want to talk these days, especially when they find out I hunt and fish. They are vegans you know. Ba hum bug. Keep your new world, it ain't worth a da**.

JWT

To me the good old days definitely were the 50's. Went down to the local hardware store, looked in a catalog and told the owner to order a .22 semi auto for me. He called me when it came in and I paid him with money from my paper route and walked home carrying it. I was 12 at the time. Times have changed.

xtphreak

Just got me thinking about .22's
Back in 1990-91, Roses in Martinez was selling Winchester Super-X $1.09 / box or Wildcat $0.99 / box. Every Friday I stopped and grabbed a brick or 2, tossed it in a .50cal ammo can (6 bricks + 10 boxes / can).
I'm still shooting it, even though this past summer I was stocking up on CCI MiniMags $5.99/100.
Back in the 80's a bunch of us bought MiniMags in 50 ct paper boxes w/ plastic trays, a case of 5000 was $105.
I think this will pass again, prices will be a bit higher, but will settle down some soon.
I've always kept a good supply of ammo, not hoarding or prepping, for convenience.
If I wanted to go plink, I'd grab a brick or so and go.

SIGSHR

The "Good Old Days" of milsurps probably are gone since semiautomatic/selective fire rifles have replaced bolt actions as military standard and there will have to be major legislative changes to make them readily available.

xtphreak

I have a 7X57 Mauser in the safe that I bought my Dad some 40+ years ago for his birthday. Well I had my Mom buy it, I wasn't quite old enough.
Woolco across from the high school had the K-31's in a cardboard barrel for $19.99 with a box of 7.5mm, but I asked the guy if you could get ammo easily and opted instead for the 7X57 "sporterized" for $27 since he had Remington and Winchester ammo on the shelf for it.

Mausermolt

I would just like to say that the good ol' days are not gone. when i was in high school my principal told me "ya know ya cant have a gun in your truck on school grounds right? so if i cant see it, say maybe you put it behind the seat in a scabbard so it doesn't get scratched, i wouldnt know its there." My woodshop teacher helped me build my first gun rack for my bedroom. i would step onto my back porch and shoot sage Canadian geese as they fly in and out of our alfalfa field. when i was 14 i started buying 12ga, gunpowder, primers, and 22 shells from the local gunstore. the owner would call up may Dad and ask if i was ok to buy them. it just seems to me that yall are staying in the wrong places! the town i grew up in has 3000 people in it....and i graduated high school in 2008. there is a country song out by Justin Moore that reminds me alot of home. "I wouldn't trade one single day, Here in small town USA"

eastbank

the good old days only look good because you are looking thru eyes at todays pay check. making 1.25 a hour and a brick of .22,s at 5.00 is not good,you have to work 4 hours for them. yeasterday i bought a 500 round bulk pack of winchester,s for 24.00 at wally world, making 12.00 a hour means working only two hours for them today. and around here not many make less than 12.00 a hour. in 1962 you could buy a new win. pre-64 model 70 for 110-120 dollars and at that time i made 2.19 dollars a hour so i had to work 52.5 hours to buy a 115.00 dollar model 70, when i retired in 2005 from heavy highway construction i was making 27.50 a hour and a new model 70 with CRF like the pre-64,s was 700.00,meaning i had to work about 25.5 hours to buy it. it may have been a slower and better time to raise a familey, but you were no better off then than now. eastbank.