The effect of heavy charges on a brass frame

Sarge

Summer of '70, I beat a poor old Griswold & Gunnison 44 replica near to death with heavy loads of DuPont. (I was 14) The arbor got loose but the old gun tightened up when the wedge was installed and it remained shootable until I sold it to a friend--who had helped shoot it loose--2 years later.

TemboTusk

There really is no reason for a brass frame except to look like a "Confederate" revolver. If that is the goal, fine, polish it up and hang it on the wall with a tag saying it was carried by Robert E. Lee.* If you want to shoot the gun, buy a steel frame** and shoot the heck out of it.

Mr K, after 18,000 plus posts you should know by now that no self respecting Gentleman of the Brass is going to hang his gun on the wall just because the overly cautious say only a steel frame revolvers is worthy of shooting. Please put your wet blanket in the dryer and let us continue our delusion that nothing can harm our beloved brass pistols. ;) :)

For those of of us who don't dress up when we shoot; we don't care if it is a "Confederate" revolver or the figment of some far away company's imagination. A brass Colt revolver is a fire breathing, living work of art and beauty!

Now the Remington brass model ... well that's another thing ... I'm sure they would look just fine on the wall. Better yet, just keep those in the drawer and don't tell anybody. :eek: :eek: ;)

(Tongue firmly in cheek and no disrespect intended to Mr K.)

Hellgate

My first "love at first sight" was begun by staring at a shiny, brand new brass framed Colt style cap & ball with the Dragoon barrel. I daydreamed about that gun and lusted for it's blonde frame. Well, I was only 16 or 17 and my puppy love wasn't consummated til I was 18 and got a Replica Arms Uberti '61 Navy in 1968. Still have it and it is still tight (steel frame). In retrospect, I wonder if I had gotten the blonde if I would have had a torrid affair and shot it loose with heavy loads (I was young) and maybe decided C&Bs weren't for me. Since then I have owned 38 different perCUSSIN' revolvers so maybe it was good that I didn't fall for the purdy looks of the blonde. I have 2 brassers now and I treat them with kind respect for their limitations.

brazosdave

Oh yeah, I loves me some brassers, can't help it! My first gun was a steel frame 1860, but the one i really started my enjoyment with was one of the little short barreled "confederate navy" .44's I bought down at Cabelas. Since then, learning from those with more experience and wisdom than I, I have kept my charges reasonable in the brass frame guns, so as I can keep on enjoying them. Actually, I ain't been stuffin my steel frames to the gills either. Love that steel washer fix though. I honestly had never even thought about that.:)

Captainkirk

Dave, I know you have an eye for the shiny ones!
If properly cared for, they can be a great addition to any collection. Cheap, too!