The coolest toy on the block...10 years from now

MTMilitiaman

Some people are thinking too hard. Calm down guys. I doubt if any of us are the next John Moses Browning. Think smaller, less revolutionary, or you'll give yourself a brain aneurism.

Someone might have already tried some of these, but I thought them up by myself.

For example, I always wondered why the recoil assembly on an automatic pistol couldn't be placed above the barrel to bring the bore axis more in line with the hand, or even just wrapped around the barrel, reducing overall height.

Or why an engineer who prides himself on simplicity of design didn't think to put the recoil spring of the Kalashnikov around the gas piston instead of behind the bolt carrier. At the very least, that would make it so that the length of the receiver could be cut down.

Speaking of Russians, how is it they can design a reciprocating barrel assault rifle with a compensator that nearly eliminates muzzle climb, but forty years after its adoption, we're still stuck with the M16? It may be a decent rifle, but we got to be able to do better. They're problem is that they can't find the money to produce the AN-94 in sufficient numbers. Our problem is that we lack the ingenuity to invent anything worth spending money on. While we're on the subject, tell me a reciprocating barrel assembly and a muzzle compensator couldn't have been used to greatly reduce felt recoil in a 7.62x51mm battle rifle--think semi-auto and two round burst with a really high cyclic rate so that both bullets have exited the muzzle before the shooter can react to recoil.

Somewhere out there, someone has to have a feasible idea for caseless ammunition. I mean come on--we can design a robot with a laser that can do brain surgery, but developing caseless ammunition just boggles our minds? The HK G11 was an interesting concept, but from my understanding, complex in operation and the design of its ammunition had problems too. I think we should be able to do better now.

Or why the concept of bottom ejection isn't more popular, esp with the growing trend of bullpup style rifles. FN did it with their P90, but for whatever reason decided a forward ejection chute was more intuitive than working with gravity on their F2000 assault rifle.

I want to see Trijicon put two and two together and get four. As in they have their ACOG series, which is excellent, but not as good at CQB as their reflex sights. They now mount a reflex sight on top of an ACOG, which shows that wheels are turning, but doesn't really strike me as a usable "brilliant" solution. I want to see a tactical version of their Accupoint series. Think 1.25-4x24 with BAC and dual illumination, but with a rangefinder/BDC as found in some versions of the ACOG built into it. Fast, versatile, accurate, and useful in all lighting conditions without batteries.

I want to see a handgun with rails that slide out of dual dovetails, like interchangeable grip panels, so the operator can choose between clean lines and snag free without rails, or the utility of a rail with a weapon mounted laser or white light by himself, in seconds, without tools. There. That is my idea. It is small and simple, but practical.

CrazyIvan007

How about a .45 round that is a standard FMJ, but rather than solid lead, it has a center filled with really small BBs? The round is designed so that upon impact, the sides blow out and the BBs fly at 45-degrees to the trajectory. That would add some stopping power to the already large caliber round.

Here's a cross-section of what I'm talking about...

This could be molded by a very small plastic mold holding the Steel BBs, A magnetic field could hold it in place while the lead is cast around it.

It would essentially be a frag-round. But, rather than what a .22 does (undefined fragmentation), this would be a defined fragmentation.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 34

Adrian

cold dead hands said:
If you would please, notice that no other slide or springs need changed with my concept. I want part count kept as low was possible so there is less to lose or break. Practice with low cost 9mm at the range and carry .45 when you CCW with the same gun that requires a minimum of effort to change over. Remove slide, change barrel, switch mags, and make small tweak with inexpensive tool and viola. A pistol you can love for it's versitily and simplicity.

Sure, I can appreciate the benefits of having fewer parts, and I did note that your design is one-spring, one-slide. You just make the barrel wall thicker to fit, right? I'm not saying at all that your idea isn't cool, just that your overall concept (the ability to change calibers in seconds with minimal fuss) exists, specifics aside.

I want to see particularly how you adjust the recoil absorption so it feeds reliably at 9mm but doesn't get into frame-battering problems when you shoot something like 10mm Auto or (if you want to get really ambitious) .50 AE. It's an interesting engineering problem.

Good luck! Let me know if it ever goes to production; I love mechanical curiosities (hence, I'm trying to buy a Mateba).

BerettaCougar

This is what I was talking about, an add on that can shoot tazer prongs, it can be easily reloaded and if it has no effect or if the issue escalates the operator can easily switch to the firearm.

glocktaze.jpg

IZinterrogator

Why I will never post a good idea on TFL again

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1454197&highlight=towel#post1454197

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=23087

Lightweight, magazine well plug keeps your lower receiver free of contaminants that could compromise reliable function of the weapon. Developed by a soldier to protect the M16 rifle in dusty and other harsh-weather environments.
I know who that soldier was. Me. But I'm not seeing a dime of that $10.95 per item sold.

IZinterrogator

Ideas are not patent-able.
Exactly my point. Anyone on here who posts their idea before building a model or drawing up plans and heading to the patent office is liable to have their idea ripped off and patented before they can do it. Especially the basement inventors who are the intended audience for this thread who don't have the resources of a large company which may be scanning the forums to see what gun owners want.

Right now I am most concerned about BerettaCougar's idea. It's genius and a large company (like, oh, say Taser, Inc.) could make a working prototype faster than BerettaCougar can make a drawing with all of the detail required to register it. They may be able to get the plans drawn up in less time than it took him to photoshop that picture.
How about a .45 round that is a standard FMJ, but rather than solid lead, it has a center filled with really small BBs? The round is designed so that upon impact, the sides blow out and the BBs fly at 45-degrees to the trajectory. That would add some stopping power to the already large caliber round.
And your idea was done years before I even started shooting.

063.gif

homefires

1911 A1 with Modulated Laser to confuse the target (Green). Beam divergance of 5 ft at 20 ft distance . Red Spot Laser for Actual targeting.

bushidomosquito

I think about stuff like this all the time

but will probably never run with any ideas. Let's see, I've got;

1. The multi-tool with everything required for a 1911 that folds up into the shape of a standard 1911 magazine, brightly colored of course, to avoid confusing it with the real thing. You could keep it anywhere you would a real mag, in the gun, in a mag pouch, in a mag slot in any case or range bag.

2. Same idea as above but with a cleaning kit. Wouldn't be to hard to fit a brush, bottle of juice and breakdown rod into the same space. I actually can't believe someone dosen't make one for every popular type of gun. How hard can it be to empty out a mag and fit all that stuff in there?

3. Imagine reaching up under your rifle's fore end and grabbing something like a pump shotgun's fore grip. You squeeze and slide it back to drop and lock the bipod legs and forward to fold them back up. I can't think of a faster way to drop down to prone and back up again. A simple rack an pinion would make it work.

4. For archers, I used to have an LCD clock that displayed on a clear background. If that clear display had a vertical row of sight pins and was coupled to a short range rangefinder it could automaticly read the range and display only that dot. After calibrating it to your bow, you just line up the peep with that dot and release. It may work for firearms too, and I know there are rangefinding scopes but don't think they change the recticle elevation for you. These devices would require you to program for your gun and load, but how cool would it be to know you were going to hit where the hairs cross at any range?

5. A variation on that idea; There are tiny little cameras that read range to move a focusing motor. A smarter man than I could adapt that mechinism to move a sight pin up and down.

6. I think the griplasers for Glocks are a joke for the way they enhance the number one complaint that folks have for that gun. A better idea would be to design a laser that replaces the back slide cover and wraps the laser around the right of the slide and the switch around the left so it could be activated like a slide mounted saftey. If you could build it to withstand the shock it would be subjected to up there, (and if doctor sights can handle it I think you could) it would be every bit as accurate as the barrel/slide lockup. It would also be in an area that never enters most holsters.

chris in va

Doing away with the traditional trigger. Somehow lower the bore axis to nearly zero, go from there.

Muzzle flip really cuts down on follow up accuracy.

bushidomosquito

B.C., That rail mounted tazer is f*%#ing genius!:eek: You better get to making it work because someone will, or possibly already is. I can see that being as common as handcuffs on every LEO's belt.

rugerdude

In response to those wanting a low bore-axis and the recoil assembly being above the barrel: The idea has been done, and this is an interesting pistol to look at and fire. It ejects the shells just above your trigger finger.

Mag release is on the front of the grip and is engaged by your middle finger. Mags are very small, about hald the size of standard .22 pistol mags, but they were staggered and in 10 and 12 round capacities.

The low bore-axis does make it an incredibly good pointer though. I was very confused when I picked up the pistol for the first time, pulled the slide back, and saw where the barrel is supposed to be is a gap between the slide and the front sight mount.