The coolest toy on the block...10 years from now

BerettaCougar

So, let's forget the big names. Let's think the average Joe

What are you..YOU (Yeah you) going to invent for he firearm world that will put a few extra 0's on your available balance.

Every time I want a new gun, I see the same thing, over and over and over again, then the companies want top dollar for the SAME thing they sold last year. I bet some of us here on TFL can think of an idea..what are missing, what can we make better, what would the crowd buy?

Let's throw some ideas out there, then someone on TFL with deep pockets can fund it, then we will have what we been looking for..I know it's wishful thinking, but hey it's something I think will be fun.

BerettaCougar

I was thinking someone along the lines of a Glock styled pistol that has a taser select fire option. It has a safety switch that goes from safety to taser then to bang bang mode.

Have the taser fire from under the barrel.

What'cha think? A bit clunky maybe...but I bet someone can make it small enough to be worth while.

RoadkingLarry

It has a safety switch that goes from safety to taser then to bang bang mode.

Great idea till the safety malfs and you shoot the guy you wanted to taze or try to taze the guy you really needed to shoot.

FirstFreedom

I started work on a "pocket bumper" for small pistols like Kel-Tec, Rohrbaugh, Seecamp, etc., but never finished that project. Still think it's a good idea.

It has a safety switch that goes from safety to taser then to bang bang mode.

That's not half bad. Up the force continuum. Setting one: OC spray. Setting two: taser. Setting three: lead flies.

38splfan

New fancy toy.

How about a melding of Glock and the 1911 design? A big plastic block but with a grip safety, slide safety, and 1911-style internals. Or a Steeel frame 1911-style pistol, but with no grip or traditional safety, but Glock's internals and trigger?

This would be a groovy idea for folks who like the 1911 operation but prefer the grip angle or feel of a Glock. Also vice-versa, for folks who like the 1911 but prefer the Glock style user interface.

It would also cut down the thread count here considerably, because folks really could have it both ways, thus having no reason to argue:D

38splfan

Never.

A light 1911!

Ain't gonna hap'n, cap'n.
A poly frame 1911 could be cool, but I think they'd add steel bar stock just to make it heavy.
Even the compact 1911's are pretty weighty, I've never figured out why there could be some weight savings there.

A Glock may be a brick in your hands, but a 1911 is a CINDERBLOCK on your belt:eek:

Malexander

How about glasses/contact lenses that display a heads-up display when you draw your weapon.

It would display point of impact, range to target, rounds remaining in magazine and would enable you to notify the police with a series of blinks or something:cool:

Doublestack

Lets see....

It would have to be a perfect fit for the human hand, grip safty being the only extrnal safety, 1911 grip angle, Glock type trigger safety, striker fired, lightweight (polymer frame), but able to hold at least 14rds. of .45 ACP!

Oh wait... I already have a Springfield XD-45!:D

I guess the next best thing would be a Star Trek type Phaser (with stun setting and vaporize setting).

DS

rugerdude

I want to make a double barrel pump-action shotgun. I wish I could somehow mate left and right hand mossberg 500's together, and make a special stock to attatch to both recievers, but taper down to normal stock width, and a special fore-end to connect the 2 slides and taper into a single pistol grip.

Keep the dual magazine tubes, and somehow rig the triggers into a single trigger that can select between barrels. BOOM! BOOM!--SHUCK SHICK--BOOM! BOOM!...Possibly even incorporate a setting where both barrels can be fire at the same time (although I think this would be Class III) and hopefully the immense weight that this theoretical gun would have to have would be enough to make the recoil bearable.

Imagine a dual-mossberg 590 setup. 18 rounds of 12 guage buckshot or slugs!!!!:eek:

38splfan

Wicked Smith.

My dream gun, and I wouldn't think it would be too hard to do.

S&W N Frame revolver.
8-shot capacity.
Moon clip compatible.
45 ACP/45 Auto Rim interchangeable.
2 inch fully shrouded barrel.
Round butt frame with Pachmayr Compac style grips.
Fiber optic insert guttersnipe-style sight system.

Would likey cost many pennies, but well worth. For revolver fans, it would be a great package of firepower, concealability, and reliability.

And the cool factor would be pretty high too:cool:

I won't go into the particulars except to say that my pistol would be be able to fire rimless cartridges of any size (my prototype will be limited to 9mm, .40 S&W and .45ACP, gonna start simple) without changing more than a magazine and barrel. Of course a simple tool (translates as easy to buy a replacement if you lose it at your local store with a basic tool selection) will required to minor adjustments as calibers are changed, but there is no way around that.

As soon as I finish metal working and machining classes I will build my prototype. If no one wants to pay me for my hard work then it gets used by me only and I make one more so I can use both equally and my kids each get one when I die.

But I have a feeling that someone is going to make this gun because it can be polimer, but I will nogotiate for steel and alloy frames as well because I do not really care for plastic guns. I own one and ''might'' get an XD someday, but I digress.

I am not promising the cheapest gun in the world but it should be about $1200 as a three caliber complete setup. It will obviously cost way more for a .25ACP through .50AE gun, but that would be a special item any way.

As firm believer in the post 80's style 1911 this gun will have a grip safety, firing pin block and a hammer. I do not like having to retract the slide to hit the primer again. A Glock style dingus will be an option for those that feel they need it to feel safer. Beyond that it is all in my head as far as how this thing will work.

Adrian

cold dead hands said:
I won't go into the particulars except to say that my pistol would be be able to fire rimless cartridges of any size (my prototype will be limited to 9mm, .40 S&W and .45ACP, gonna start simple) without changing more than a magazine and barrel. Of course a simple tool (translates as easy to buy a replacement if you lose it at your local store with a basic tool selection) will required to minor adjustments as calibers are changed, but there is no way around that.

As soon as I finish metal working and machining classes I will build my prototype. If no one wants to pay me for my hard work then it gets used by me only and I make one more so I can use both equally and my kids each get one when I die.

But I have a feeling that someone is going to make this gun because it can be polimer, but I will nogotiate for steel and alloy frames as well because I do not really care for plastic guns. I own one and ''might'' get an XD someday, but I digress.

I think you just pretty much described the Tanfoglio Force / EAA Witness. It runs $500 or less on GunBroker. It needs to change slides (to fit the barrel) and springs (for recoil), too, but for the $700+ price difference you can buy not only two but three extra calibers. I think it's a pretty spiffy gun if you have the hands for it (the grip is a bit wide).

It is short the grip safety though.

Last edited:
If you would please, notice that no other slide or springs need changed with my concept. I want part count kept as low was possible so there is less to lose or break. Practice with low cost 9mm at the range and carry .45 when you CCW with the same gun that requires a minimum of effort to change over. Remove slide, change barrel, switch mags, and make small tweak with inexpensive tool and viola. A pistol you can love for it's versitily and simplicity.
Besides, $1200 was just a guess for all steel. Poly would probably be half that considering injection molding is dirt cheap.

Seriously, go check out metal frames you can buy for glocks. You will have to google it because I cannot remember who makes them. Titanium frame for your glock is not cheap, but weighs the same as poly and is way stronger.
If I was ever going to buy a glock I would get one of the steel frames and a carbine unit for a truly versital combo. Especially considering those lovely 25 round .45 mags or the 33 round 9mm mags. That is a glock even I could love, and for me that is really saying something.

How about a handheld chemical-powered laser?

You just can't get a higher-velocity. Physics and stuff, you know. Sear their hide at the speed o' light with the new Glock 999...

You can't use pure lead reactant, though. The kabooms will take out the whole room, so you may want to listen to the Austrians this time.

carguychris

An inexpensive revolver with one or both of the following features:

1) A polymer frame in the grip area.

2) A Picatinny rail.