The best"cheap" 1911

EssArTee4

Spartan ftmfw, although i paid a tad over your price limit, think it was $670

DSC01763.jpg

Radionicist

My American Classic II Deluxe Government Model (whew, that's a mouthful!) was $389.99 plus tax out the door. Here it is with custom grips:

americaclassic.jpg

It's loaded with the fancy stuff (special trigger, sights, etc.) right out of the box. I've shot 200 or so rounds downrange so far, all without a single hiccup. I'm very pleased with my purchase, especially since I bought a bunch of ammo with the cash I saved.

Gunblast.com did a thorough review of this pistol, posted here.

Good luck with your search!

cjw3cma

American Classic II Deluxe

The American Classic II Deluxe gets my vote for the best modern day 1911 for the money available. For what it offers no other (1911) gun today can match its overall value / features.

Stevie-Ray

The American Classic II Deluxe gets my vote for the best modern day 1911 for the money available. For what it offers no other (1911) gun today can match its overall value / features.
Well, get them now before they come to their senses. In the 80s, a Springfield Armory 1911 was $250. And yes, they were about the best deal on the market then.

adjc

DSC00159.jpg

+1 on the citadel. these are actually the old Charles Daly EFS. i've had this one for about 4 mths and has never malfunctioned not one single time, close to 1500rds so far. pick up a .22 upper for it if you can and the fun gets cheaper. well worth the $$$.

obxned

I like both the Taurus and the Charles Daly. Springers and Rock Islands are nice, but do not give you as many extras for your money.

Kendo

I looked at three places today and found a Rock Island 1911 A1 in the last store. The guy wanted 698.00 bucks for it bone stock. And he pointed it at me twice and flagged me with it several times. Numbnuts.This place is known to be way over priced so I'm still lookin. I'm gonna look for some of these others mentioned on here also. Thanks for all the input also it's much appreciated.

Kendo

HellBilly, Yessir thats what I've been hearin and why I'm still lookin. I asked the guy if that was his bottom dollar, He allowed," Yeah they just aint much markup on guns, we make our money on the bullits and stuff." Guess I wont be buyin bullits there either.

twitch1706

I was looking at one of the new ParaUSA GI Experts the other day in my local store... MSRP of $599, although every place I've seen has them for +/- $530.

A bunch of reviews I've come across rant about how "GI" is in the name but it doesn't fully play the role to the T's. IMO, who cares? Looks great, and its from Para, a company with a good track record.

GeauxTide

Started with a Sprinfield Mil-Spec at $499 and had my smith customize over the years. He advised 500 rounds to break in before mods. It keeps a 200gr. SWC under 7gr of Unique in the 10 ring at 50ft., offhand.

Technosavant

kendo a ria should not be more then about 499

This. I picked up a RIA Tactical a couple weeks ago for just under $500, with the GI priced at $400. I've seen prices on the GI to a bit over $500 (at a shop that tends to be higher priced but with better service), so anywhere in that range is OK. Anything much over $500 is a pure rip off for a RIA GI. No more than about $550-575 for a RIA Tactical either.

MosinM38

I own a High Standard 1911 (Made by Armscor, identical to a Rock Island Armory one), and dad owns a Springfield Armory 1911.

Both are good choices, the RIA's are a little cheaper and as good of guns. The Springfield kicks a little harder, but that is probably either the springs (Although the backstrap is a hair curved)

Main thing: KEEP THEM LUBED WELL. A few people have complained about it, one solution...

Lube it within an inch of it's life and it'll work well, let it get dry=Jammacity.

Stevie-Ray

The Springfield kicks a little harder, but that is probably either the springs (Although the backstrap is a hair curved)
You mean an arched mainspring housing. A nice feature for guys like me that have bigger hands, but completely replaceable with a flat one.

Brian48

Another endorsement for the Kahr-built WWII repro. Very satisfied with mine. Except for the wood grips and a slightly more authentic looking short trigger (swapped out strictly for cosmetic reasons), this is pretty much stock.

autoordnance_left2.jpg

autoordnance_results.jpg

By the way, I would not touch the older, West Hurley guns. They don't compare in my opinion.

Kendo

Man I sure appreciate everybody's input on this. Some really good lookin pistols also. I'm still lookin around, I got pretty busy the last few days but as soon as I get one I'll post it with pics .[If I can figure out how to do that] Thanks again everybody.