The best"cheap" 1911

Kendo

I 've never owned an automatic pistol before only wheel guns. Well now I want one, nothin fancy, just dependable and rugged. I've been looking at springfeild and a few others. Price range between $400 and $600 and preferably something I could build on later if I wanted to. Thanks Kendo

Chris_B

Here is my Auto-Ordnance M1911A1, pakerized, with wood grips. Taken the day after I got it, just back from the range

Very little trouble in the 700-800 rounds I've put through it. A couple stovepipes. Never a failure to feed with a good mag. I have two so-so mags that cause an occasional failure to feed

450 bucks. It was made in Worcester MA. Auto-Ordnance has a bad rep of sorts, from their earlier 1911A1s, from West Hurley NY. many of those were not so good, although some were fine pistols for what they are

1911A1.jpg

Here it is with a 1940's USGI trigger (I just polished the bar and dropped it in, no sweat) and rubber grips

rubber.jpg

Playing the part with plastic grips and USGI trigger

AO1911A1grip.jpg

With some of my WWII stuff (jacket's a repro). Some folks were nice enough to put this in a calendar

DSCF0118.jpg

5whiskey

Springfield GI, RIA GI. You can't go wrong with either. Honestly, I think they are both made just as well but I'd pay the extra 80 or 100 bucks for the springfield because of resale. The word is starting to get out on the RIAs though. Darn fine pistols

Spur0701

I was researching the same thing about six months ago when I ran into a deal on a Colt Commander................at the time what I came up with was a RIA Tatical, see here:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911TAC.aspx

For the price difference between the RIA GI and RIA Tatical the Tatical was the best bang for the buck.....do some searches. The only problem is everyone else knows this too (you'll notice on the above link that Centerfire isn't even taking backorders) so finding one is a little rough.

Technosavant

If you want to build it up as a project gun, Springfield GI- the forged frame and slide is a minor but worthy upgrade.

If you want a basic GI type as a shooter, Rock Island GI.

If you want something mostly featured out, requiring very little additional customization (maybe sights or little things like that), the Rock Island Tactical is my pick.

The Taurus PT1911 has a couple more features than the RI Tactical (the most beneficial extra feature IMO is the front strap checkering), but the quality control can be a little more uneven than the Rock Island models (the Taurus has a forged frame/slide as opposed to cast, but others and I have had issues with our PT1911s). I wouldn't say to stay away from the Taurus, but I'd go with a Springfield or a Rock Island over it- the RIA is likely to be a bit cheaper too.

bald1

I wholeheartedly agree with recommendations for the RIA Tactical. Also made by Armscor is the comparable but recently discontinued Charles Daly EFS (Daly is in the midst of switching from Armscor in the Philipines to Bul Transmark in Israel).

This one shows aftermarket grips and trigger:
CD_EFS_Field_400CB.jpg

Kendo

Thanks guys for your input,these all sound good to me. I had never heard of RI until now. Man this place is cool!!

riggins_83

Rock Island Armory is good, as are the Springfield GI models.. if you can find it a Springfield Milspec has much better sights for not much more $$

txstang84

scour the ads in gunbroker too...

The "new" Legacy Citadel was reviewed by Combat Handuns a couple months ago, and they liked it. $500 buys you a 1911 with a lightened 70 series trigger group, extended safeties, and nothing you don't really need. About like a RIA Tactical, for perhaps a few coins less...

Whatever you choose-enjoy! :)

Kreyzhorse

Springfield's GI model would be my first choice for a cheap 1911. They are made and assembled in Brazil but if you do have a probelm Springfield's customer service is one of the best in the industry.

txstang84

Springfield's GI model would be my first choice for a cheap 1911.

Also a good choice-Bud's is running reserve deals on Springers right now too...the parkerized GI is $511, and the SS GI is $599...

SilentHitz

Another recommendation for the RIA Tactical, I own 2 and don't hesitate to carry either for SD, got them a while back for $430 shipped.

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

ZeSpectre

Since I was planning on having it as a "range toys" only I went low-cost with my first 1911 and bought a Taurus PT-1911. After an initial break in period I never had a problem with mine, but friends were having trouble and I was having trouble with other Taurus guns so I sort of fled the brand.

Next I picked up a Charles Daly EFS. WOW what a great gun that has turned out to be. Again, I bought it as a "range only" toy but after owning it for a while I would have complete confidence in it as a carry gun as well.
2008_10D_1983.jpg

More recently I got interested in "Bullseye" shooting and someone told me that RIA (Rock Island Armory) guns were a great platform to build a "Bullseye" gun from so I started looking around just to see what was out there and then I stumbled across the "Satin Nickel" version of the RIA Tactical which LEAPT up off the counter and into my hand and wouldn't let go <grin>.
2008_10D_2011.jpg

The RIA is a little fussier on ammo but with stuff it likes it runs very well and really the only issues I've had with it are if I'm using reloads with beat up rims (then I have the occasional extraction issue).