The best air-rifle available?

kkb

skans said:
You can always rent a 6K (aka 6,000 psi fill) air or nitrogen cylinder from Airgas, Praxair, or Air Liquide and use an appropriate fill station. No dive certification required.
Where do you find appropriate fill stations and what's the average cost of filling up one of these canisters?
I dropped by the local welding supply store. The cost of a big 6K nitrogen tank was $750, charge/recharge was $180. They didn't have a price for the fill station (to decant to a pony bottle or charge the gun's tank directly) handy.

Didn't think to ask about renting.

condition_ONE

Springers can't be cocked very long without damaging the spring. Ever ask an animal to hold still while you cock your $600 springer?

Totally not true. And particularly not true for the short time you'll have it pre-cocked while out hunting. Just don't store it for months with it cocked. Some spring piston rifles with gas springs can stay cocked indefinitely without loss of power.

Slopemeno

The hot setup for hunting with a break-barrel springer is: Bump the barrel open, but don't cock it. The rear of the barrel is now exposed. Insert a pellet and close the barrel. When you see the game, cock and shoot. I've been airgun hunting since the late 70's and it works fine.

Last edited:

GeauxTide

Thanks for the chrony data on the Gamos. Always suspected that. I have chrony'd my Sheridan Blue Streak and it gives 780. Shoots through 5/8" fencing at 50'. Have dispatched ground and tree rodents and feral cats with full penetration.

Skans

$750, charge/recharge was $180

I'm thinking hand-pump is the only way to go for now....or wait until someone makes a $300 device that can be rigged up to pump 3300psi.

waterfowler

I would go with the Gamo Big Cat 1200. I picked it up for $150. It claims that it will launch a lead .177 pellet at 1000 fps. With the raptor ammo which 50 rounds comes with it, it can shoot 1200 fps. My pellet gun is very accurate but if you are shooting long range, the cross winds are going to mess up your shot greatly. I have taken out woodchucks, opposoms, raccoons out easily with well placed shots, the animals dont run very far. The gun comes with a scope not mounted. Make sure that you do register your warranty right when you get it. Gamo sells a good product. This is the break barrel. The only thing I do not like about these guns is you have one shot and it has to be good. Check out Gamo's website.

Slopemeno

Look around online for the fill stations- Airgas et al won't have them. Try "Airguns of Arizona" for starters.

When you ask about a 6K cylinder you want to rent it, also known as "demurrage". That way you're buying the *fill*, renting the cylinder, and paying for delivery to your house, if necessary. You can do an exchange service, where they deliver a full cylinder and take away the empty one at the same time.

6K's are *heavy*. I used to be a driver in my organization, and I dreaded delivering them. Consider the delivery/exchange option.

BUTCHER45

You can get your 4500psi carbon fiber tanks filled-up at many paintball stores. The one close to me charges about $5.

The dive shop I used in the past does not require you to have a diver card, but they could only fill the tanks to about 3200psi. Some can do more.

If you get in friendly with a local firehouse, they might fill them for you as well. Bring coffee grounds (gourmet coffee grounds) to bribe them with.

There is a thread on the Yellow Forum titled something to the effect of "where to fill my CF tank" that has info on places across the country that fill to 4500psi.

I used a HillPump to fill my power-tuned bigbore SamYang 909 for two years before I finally found a smokin' deal on two CFtanks and all the fixins'. Wow is it ever nice having those tanks.

LongRifles Inc.

From an accuracy standpoint any of these are top shelf:

Feinwerkbau P70
Hammerli br50
Any Anschutz air rifle.

Bring your visa, they all start around 2K.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Totally not true. And particularly not true for the short time you'll have it pre-cocked while out hunting. Just don't store it for months with it cocked. Some spring piston rifles with gas springs can stay cocked indefinitely without loss of power.
I agree with everything except the first line. Leaving the gun cocked can weaken the spring, even very high quality springs in high quality airguns. It is true that with decent quality springs it's not an effect that's likely to cause you problems unless you really spend a LOT of time with the gun cocked or (as you mention) accidentally put it away cocked.

Suwannee Tim

Springers can't be cocked very long without damaging the spring. Ever ask an animal to hold still while you cock your $600 springer?

Funny, I've never had that problem, but maybe I haven't shot enough animals yet. I'm only up to about five thousand squirrels.

Parabuteo

While it is true the Theobens particularly the Crow Magnum are not entry level rifles, being hand built they are not meant to be, neither their appearance, accuracy or quality can be disputed. They are not for a kid or a woman either as they do require a substantial effort to cock.
I have to say, they are definitely not a WalMart shopper or discount gun by any means, either, every one is hand made. I was a Beeman dealer not far from you in Valdosta, Georgia beginning when their Five Star program came out, I had aways wanted a powerful, accurate air rifle that was single stroke cocking to hunt squirrels with, that's what I still use it for primarily as well as killing Crows etc. Like you, I don't know how many squirrels, rabbits and birds I have killed but I dedicate quite a bit of time hunting with one of my retired Game and Fish Fire arms Coordinator buddies who lives in Lake City, you may know him. I have owned everything coming up as a kid from Crossmans, Sheridans, Dianas, RWS, R-1, Kodiak and 124 FWB Beemans, Gamos and others. Every one of these has all had their places and still do. The Crow Magnum I can say however has been for me, an accurate and durable, trouble free, hunting rifle. He and I are always fooling with something else, at this time we are trying out the pre charged Marauders. For now I will stay with my Crow Magnum. It has been trouble free for about 20 years I guess now and I shoot it every day.

darkgael

PCPs

Most dive shops will require a scuba certification before they will fill your tank - so I've never figured out how folks are getting their tanks filled for PCP rifles. Also, once the presure in the tank falls below 3,000, as I understand it, it's fairly useless for properly presurizing the PCP tank. Scuba pumps cost thousands of dollars and take up a lot of space. So, I've concluded that the hand pump is really the only way to go.

A couple of things. It has not been my experience that dive shops require diver cert to refill a scuba tank. I have mine refilled and have never had an issue. Maybe your location is different.
Having a hand pump is a good idea, just as a back-up. They do require quite a bit of effort, though, to get the rifle up to 3K psi.
About falling below 3000 psi and it's effect. Understand that the tank/reservoir on the rifle itself is very small. As soon as you take one shot it is below 3K psi and yet it will shoot pretty darn well for at least 10 (I'm thinking of my .45 which uses a lot of air per shot). An 80 cu.ft. tank is vastly larger. You get many, many refills from one before it shows any real loss in performance. The actual fill of a rifle reservoir from a scuba tank is very quick, maybe a second or two.
Pete

BUTCHER45

Filling the air reservoir in a second or two is known as a "flash fill", and is hard on your rifle's seals due to the heat involved. You can feel this heat when touching the reservoir tubes when flash-filling (and so do your o-rings). I imagine it will also cool-off to a lesser psi fill if you don't shoot it right away.

When using a Scuba, or SCBA tank to fill your PCP reservoir, fill it as slow as you can to prevent pre-mature wear on the internals. It has also been recommended to me to store the rifle with a minimal fill to prevent wear on the valve.

dromaeosaur

Well i've got one of those powerline 1000x's at cabelas for $60. Its a large break barrel and it does hit over 1000 fps velocity. Put a scope on it, and its my go to squirrel killer. Also got a daisy 22x pump .22, they hit pretty hard, shooting 14 grain .22 pellets at 800 fps. Not as deadly as the 1000x but if its a squirrel your after it wont make much difference.

I killed a skunk with the 1000x, shot it right in the face at 80 feet, just died didnt do anything else. No running. Pretty big skunk. Great pellet rifle especially with a scope. You gotta tighten the scope ultra tight, it has a funny recoil that can set it off sight if it aint really tight. Goes back and then forward.

Killed a big fat groundhog with a neckshot 3 yrs ago with it. Didnt run more than a few feet. Hit with a loud smack, i could tell it was a good hit.

darkgael

Flash fill

Butch:
Filling the air reservoir in a second or two is known as a "flash fill", and is hard on your rifle's seals due to the heat involved. You can feel this heat when touching the reservoir tubes when flash-filling (and so do your o-rings). I imagine it will also cool-off to a lesser psi fill if you don't shoot it right away.
Thanks for that post. This is the first time that I have heard the term "flash fill". Are all pcps the same? I ask because I fill mine the way I read in the manual that came with the gun. Y'know, connect the probe, open the valve, close it when the gauge reads full. There does not seem to be any change in temperature on the rifle; I handle it immediately after; it seems the same. I do know that scuba tanks get warm when being filled.
I'm open to the idea of doing it a better way but I am hard pressed to see how it could be done more slowly. I open the valve one quarter of a turn and by the time I have done that, the manometer reads 3K psi (of course, I am filling from 1.5K psi).
Pete

NWCP

I hunt with a RWS 350 magnum break barrel in .22 cal. With Crossman Premiers it is deadly on ground squirrel and the likes. I have a fixed power scope on a single piece mount. It isn't the most expensive airgun out there, but it is definitely a good weapon for the price. It's the second RWS I've owned and both have been .22 cal. Hunting with a pellet gun is an absolute hoot. If you haven't tried it you really need to.

BUTCHER45

It is indeed really hard to fill slowly from a tank with many set-ups. Some are capable of slower filling speeds than others. My set-up releases air very fast as well, so I take special care to crack the valve as slowly as I can.

I recall my 909 airtubes getting warm to the touch when flash-filling (before I knew any better). Might have been hot weather to boot, so the air in the tank would start out warmer to begin with. I do know that the reservoir tubes weren't warm before the flash fill, so it wasn't the weather that made the reservoir warm. There was a distinct "before and after" affect.