The best air-rifle available?

ClayInTx

I want an air rifle for plinking and target shooting, also powerful enough for small game. I’m unfamiliar with air-rifles except for a low-cost Benjamin bought years ago, which I no longer have.

I want a hand-operated pump-up, or, perhaps, a spring driven.

Price is not all that much a factor. Well, there is a limit, but it’s fairly high.

How about some input and recommendations by you who have one, or have had one?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I like the Spanish made Gamo line... 1,000fps will hunt tree rats and rabbits out to 40+ yards easy and I am quite adequate at those ranges...

Also, if you are unfamiliar with the springer rifles, they do take the getting used to! totally different than a powder fired rifle as for recoil and the affect on the projectile. I await further Q's to provide additional info...:)
Brent

hoytinak

The only air rifle I've ever owned was a cheap Crossman that my father gave me about 20yrs ago so I'm new to them myself but I've been interested in getting one lately. I was actually looking at a couple of Gamo air rifles myself yesterday. Are the Whisper Series rifles really that much quieter? I really like the looks of the Whisper Royal but would like to know more about them before spending $350 on a air rifle.

Evan Thomas

For plinking/target shooting, some of us think our Beeman R7's are hard to beat. It's a relatively low-powered springer at around 700 fps, and I wouldn't use it on small game beyond 30 yards or so, but the advantages of the low power are that it's very easy to cock, and the weird-springer-recoil thing is much less noticeable than with higher-powered models. It comes with an excellent adjustable trigger, and it's wickedly accurate. :D

ClayInTx

Thanks

hogdogs,
Yes, 1100 fps is definitely awesome for something that just needs a bit of muscle for power. From what I can find out it seems the springers are better than the pump-ups. Is this correct?

hoytinak,
I’m the same as you. I want to know quite a bit more about these before buying. It seems the top of the line begin around $300 and then go up. The Gamo and The RWS get quite a ways up there but I’ll spend that if they are really that much better.

Vanya,
The Beeman R7 sounds pretty good. However, I do want the most powerful one I can get. Is the R7 top of the line for Beeman?

As for CO2, that’s out of the picture for me. I don’t want to have to depend on getting cartridges of CO2.

BB singles and BB repeaters are also out. I want pellets. 22 or 177, but which of these is best?

I want new, not used or refurbished.

I’m a complete noob at this, so I’ll appreciate any input.

kkb

Another option to consider is a PCP airgun. I've been eyeing the Benjamin Marauder but haven't played with one. Made in the USA to boot.

You'll want to pick up a pump to charge it up, of course.

Evan Thomas

Clay, if you want more power, look at the R9 (around 900 fps) or the R1 (1000 fps). They're bigger, heavier, and require about twice the cocking effort as the R7 (around 34 pounds for the R1, as compared to 18 for the R7)... and cost a couple of hundred more, I think, but I guess both the effort and the cost would be worth it if small game hunting is high on your list.

All have the nice Rekord trigger, and generally excellent fit and finish. You know when you handle these that they are not toys -- they're well made and good looking. Just... satisfying to use. :)

I'd consider .22 only if you mostly want to hunt -- otherwise there's no reason not to go with .177. You'll find a much larger variety of pellets in .177, for one thing.

Tex S

Just a bit of input for yall...

I bought a chronograph a few days ago. I havent been able to go out and use it with real guns and ammo yet, but I have given it some action in my backyard with my Gamo Hunter.

The Gamo Hunter is supposed to launch .177 cal pellets at 1000 fps.

Well, it doesn't. Below are two 10-shot strings. String 1 is data for pointed hunting pellets (819.6 fps), and in string 2 wadcutters were used (830 fps). Both types were almost 20% under advertised velocity.

CED Data Collector - 1/26/10
(f = flyers, (ED) = edited shots)
Total Strings = 2
Feet Per Second

String 1
1) 825.5 5.9
2) 828.1 8.5
3) 818.4 -1.2
4) 817.2 -2.4
5) 814.5 -5.1
6) 823.6 4
7) 817.2 -2.4
8) 812.2 -7.4
9) 824.4 4.8
10) 814.9 -4.7

High: 828.1
Low: 812.2
E.S.: 15.9
Ave.: 819.6
S.D.: 5.4
95%: 4.1

String 2
1) 832.8 2.8
2) 836.5 6.5
3) 818.5 -11.5
4) 827.2 -2.8
5) 834.2 4.2
6) 819.9 -10.1
7) 831.2 1.2
8) 830.3 0.3
9) 838.6 8.6
10) 831 1

High: 838.6
Low: 818.5
E.S.: 20.1
Ave.: 830
S.D.: 6.6
95%: 5

(End Of Data)

Elvishead

Just a bit of input for yall...

I bought a chronograph a few days ago. I havent been able to go out and use it with real guns and ammo yet, but I have given it some action in my backyard with my Gamo Hunter.

The Gamo Hunter is supposed to launch .177 cal pellets at 1000 fps.

Well, it doesn't. Below are two 10-shot strings. String 1 is data for pointed hunting pellets (819.6 fps), and in string 2 wadcutters were used (830 fps). Both types were almost 20% under advertised velocity.

Maybe the cool weather had something to do with it, or a dirty barrel? Or dry unoiled barrel?

What was the weight of the pellets?

Just a thought.:D

Slopemeno

R-1, r-9, fwb-124.

Most of the low-cost airguns hype their velocity claims. And, for the most part, it's a meaningless number. Heavier domes will usually shoot better, have smoother firing behavior, and carry more energy at 50 yards.

Attachments

• R-1 Santa Rosa.jpg
    R-1 Santa Rosa.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 180
  • FWB-124.jpg
    FWB-124.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

highvel

I have an RWS Diana and it's probably 15 years old .177 cal and was to shoot at 1150fps when new, well I checked it last summer with my chrony and it still shoot consistent 1125-1150 with target flat nose quality pellets.
It is very accurate with a 4x32 Deerfield scope.

Loads of fun shooting match heads in the kitchen while sitting on the living room couch!!!:D First time I did that my wife thought I had gone over the edge:eek:

jlbpa

The beeman r1 in .22 is what I chose after wanting something a tad better for "marksmanship" than my benjamin mac1 silver streak. The silver streak still has it's mission but the r1 with it's leupold close focus 3x9 is the starlings' nightmare.

alfack

How high is your limit and what type of small game are you talking about.

The PCPs are going to be more powerful and easier to shoot than the springers.

If you want top of the line, look at an FX Royale or Theoben Rapid. Middle of the road you have the Air Arms S400 or Air Force Condor. Lower end there are the Crosman Marauder and Discovery.

ClayInTx

alfack,

The small game I’m after are squirrels. I cannot have a garden because of them. They’re cute, they’re funny, and they are destructive. They’re also smart. They see a gun and they scoot until they’re about 40 or 50 yards away, then turn around and chatter (I just know it’s laughing in squirrel talk) at me. They seem to know I won’t take a 22 to them when they’re high up.

Also, some birds which will gang up in a tree, fight over a good spot to roost, poop over everything, and come back the next night and do it again. They perch high and my trees are running a 100 to 130 feet plus; that’s why I need a good rifle. Big birds. I don’t believe they are a protected specie, however...

In the meanwhile I enjoy plinking.

From what I’ve found on the internet my limit covers almost anything I’ve found so far in springers. I’m sure there are some “exotics” which are over my limit. I will go several hundred dollars but whatever it is I want it to be worth several hundred. I want something to use for a long time and be able to pass it on down as still worth having.

Now about those PCPs, don’t these require an ancillary pump? If so, I’m not keen on that. Also, I saw some fuel/air jobs; don’t want that. I want completely self-contained.

I know I’m probably asking newbie questions, and have no choice because I am a newbie in regards to air guns.

I sure appreciate the help y’all have posted and your patience.

Edit: A shotgun would solve the squirrel/bird problem, I know, but I want an air gun, too.

alfack

Yeah, that's the downside with the PCPs. You either need a high pressure pump (around $300) or a SCUBA tank to fill them. The upside is that they are very quiet if you get one with a built in shroud/silencer and they don't recoil, making it possible to stack pellet on pellet at 50 yards.

There are a lot of good quality springers, too. As others have suggested, a Beeman R9, R1 or Kodiak would be good. RWS and Air Arms have some decent ones, too. Sometimes the HW (Wiehrauch) rifles, who make most of the good Beeman line, can be found for a little better price.

Good luck choosing. Can be a good way to work on your technique for little $, around the house.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Most airguns are rated at higher velocities than are obtained with typical weight pellets. That's because velocity is a selling point so manufacturers tend to test using the lightest, fastest pellets they can find.
Price is not all that much a factor. Well, there is a limit, but it’s fairly high.
Air Arms makes some very nice spring-piston air rifles. The Pro Sport and the TX200 series have a pretty good following. The Pro Sport is especially nice if you're concerned about noise issues.

The Weihrauch made Beeman airguns are also nice though perhaps not quite as refined as the Air Arms. I own a couple of the Weihrauch Beemans so I'm not badmouthing them by any means. Be careful with Beeman though, since Dr. Beeman sold the company they've added to the line and some of their low-end offerings aren't all that impressive.

If you want a really nice pump rifle you could look into a Sheridan or Benjamin that's been reworked by Mac1.

benroe

Gamo is known for making high claims on their velocities. They also have crappy triggers. I ended up getting a Beeman R2 breakbarrell. The trigger is great for the price, but I was out shooting zombies with it today and was a little disappointed with how it was firing. It was about 1/8-1/4" off at 15yds with the occasional flyer. If I want to shoot the zombies pupil out then damn it I should be able to!! I have made shots out to 90yds with it, but it gets real inconsistent at that range. The max consistent/repeatable range with it is about 65yds. Just remember you are going to have to put alot of rounds down range before the groups settle down with whatever you get. I have also found that my rifle likes crosman premier hollow points over everything else out there, including RWS ammo. You should also get a one piece scope mount, a strong sturdy scope rated for airguns, and blue locktite the hell out of everything.

Suwannee Tim

When you say price is no object, you can spend $1200 on a spring piston gun and $3000 or more on a pre-charged pneumatic, less optics. The high end Beeman guns are good but Beeman is not the company it was under Dr. Robert Beeman. The Weihrauch guns are good, all of them. I am fond of the Beeman R1, the HW97 and the Beeman RX-2 which is an HW 90. It is a waste to put a cheap scope on a great airgun so get a good scope. I am fond of the Leupold 6.5-20 EFR. I am not so fond of the RWS, the fit and finish are not that good though they seem to shoot well enough.