The 7mmRM

Saltydog235

I've had the itch to put together a heavy barreled 7mmRM for a few years now. This will be a hunting and LR rifle for playing around. Like everything I don't want to break the bank with a $3-5K base rifle plus optic.

Right now I've got three candidates for the base.

Remington 700 Sendero SFII - Comes in with a HS Precision stock, fluted, bolt somewhat polished. Would still need to mill the ugly factory bolt and install a Badger or similar knob, put a Timney in it and DBM system.

Remington 700 LR- Comes with a B&C M40 style stock (been using them for years on other guns). Bolt's are roughly finished, new knob needed, trigger, and DBM.

Sako A7 Roughtech Range - Only offering in the US is through Cabelas which isn't my first choice but not a deal breaker. Just hard to imagine bringing home a Sako with Cabelas engraved in it, even an A7. Trigger is good, good bolt, action slick, DBM (unfortunately it's a polymer mag). Don't know anyone with one or have I shot one. I own other Sakos but not an A7.

Anyone of them will be topped with a Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X50 with MOAR-T reticle.

The plus on the Remington offerings is the wealth of products available to customize the gun(s) as well as the smiths out there familiar with them. However, the Sako action feels like polished glass compared to the sandpaper on rubber of the Remington.

Opinions and experiences?

T. O'Heir

Re-think a heavy barrel for a 7mm Mag hunting rifle.
However, a Rem M700 is a Rem M700. A Remington 700 Sendero SFII is basically the same thing as an LR. Both of which have an adjustable trigger that really doesn't need replacing. Mind you, the LR is more entry level than the other. The Sendero likely needs no "work". Bit over $600 more expensive though.
22X is way too high for a 7mm Mag too. Target cartridge it ain't.

Saltydog235

Re-think a heavy barrel for a 7mm Mag hunting rifle.
However, a Rem M700 is a Rem M700. A Remington 700 Sendero SFII is basically the same thing as an LR. Both of which have an adjustable trigger that really doesn't need replacing. Mind you, the LR is more entry level than the other. The Sendero likely needs no "work". Bit over $600 more expensive though.
22X is way too high for a 7mm Mag too. Target cartridge it ain't.

I have the NF NXS already. The hunting I do isn't walking, think beanfield rifle. Remington triggers are awful, hate the 40X, I'd rather spend the $140 and drop a Timney in it so it's like my other Remingtons. The Sako seems to have a typical Sako trigger which is great.

I like the idea of the LR being cheaper for sure, I've been trying to find the $600 difference between them. I guess SS, HS Precision and fluted barrel are the difference unless the Sendero barrels are 5R.

Won't be used for "target" so to speak but ringing my plate just to play around. And I appreciate magnification as my eyes get older, they ain't what they were and never were great.

hooligan1

I think, if it were me with some heavy bread, I would call Nosler and have them build me a custom in .28 Nosler.
The NightForce scope would be a nice compliment to that cartidge, as some across the nation sing high praise what the .28 will do with heavy bullets at Long range.

But If and only If I stuck with the 7mm rm, I think a Winchester model 70 chasis, and a Manners hunting type stock, new trigger, (although my 70 trigger isn't awful) and some decent bases and rings.

Wendyj

We have a 300 ultra mag in a Sendero. It's a tack driver without doing anything. That Nightforce scope will be a great addition to either one. The Sako is an excellent rifle but I'm not sure of the model you are looking at.

Saltydog235

I think, if it were me with some heavy bread, I would call Nosler and have them build me a custom in .28 Nosler.
The NightForce scope would be a nice compliment to that cartidge, as some across the nation sing high praise what the .28 will do with heavy bullets at Long range.

While those new Nosler hot rods are nice on paper, I'm sticking with a cartridge I already load for and have data on. Not looking to add another one with the excess expenses at this time nor time to do a ton of new load development.

I have a Winchester 70 already in 7mmRM, it's just wrapped up in Supergrade furniture. I'm trying to sell it to fund the build. Beautiful rifle, I just spend more time worrying about scratching it up, dinging it on a stand or getting it caked in swamp mud than I do enjoy hunting with it.

I also have a Ruger No.1 in 7mmRM that I take out from time to time. My father acquired it right before he passed away. He had told me he had something for me since I had always said I wanted one. When he got sick we went up to while he was in the hospital, guns were something we both had a passion for. When I opened his vault, it was leaned up front and center like he'd known and wanted me to see it first off. I take it on the day he passed and then put it back up, that one has too much sentimental value to risk any damage.

My go to gun is my 700 7mm08 Varmint that I've modified and set up to be perfect for the normal hunting conditions I do. This new one is something of a project for me.

reynolds357

I have a Senderro in 7 Rem mag with heavy fluted barrel. It shoots decent. Definitely nothing to brag about. I also have a mod 70 that I squared the action and put on a McGowen thin contour barrel. The light weight is much more accurate the Senderro. I have hated the Senderro ever since the stupid recoil pad melted off of it sitting in my safe. As a rule, I do not sell rifles, but this one would be the first to go if I did start selling.

Saltydog235

Sounds like you got a Monday or Friday rifle. Hadn't ever heard that on the Sendero. I'm leaning more toward the Long Range just because it is cheaper and I can set it up pretty much identically to my 7mm08.

Nathan

Can you humor me and tell me why the Savage is not on anybody's list?

i find the accutrigger pretty good, i find the weight right, i find the action needs little to no truing due to the floating bolt head and my rifle shoots .6" @ 100 with only bedding in the factory stock...

i cant imagine how much better it would shoot in a chassis with a match barrel.

Saltydog235

Because the Savage doesn't have a Varmint/Heavy profile barrel option in factory trim. If I'm going to buy a rifle, pull the barrel to put a new one on, then have to swap the stock etc, then I should just build it on a custom action.

The accutrigger is a fine trigger, I pulled mine off and installed a Timney trigger on my 10 PC. I cannot stand that blade feel, drives me nuts.

upstate81

Ive had limbsaver pads melt as well. More than once actually. Never seen a melted supercell pad. Was that prior to the supercell pads remington currently uses?

Scorch

I prefer the Remington action over a Savage or Winchester for a build (I am a gunsmith and build rifles for a living). It's easier to build and true a Remington, and parts are available for whatever you decide to do. Savage rifles shoot very well out of the box, but you have to put up with the absolutely awful finish and garbage design (whenever I get challenged on this, I tell people to take their Savage out of the stock and look at all the trigger group parts made out of stamped sheet metal and the bolt held together with a screw and a pin, but that's just my bias).

7mm Rem Mag would not be my first choice of chambering for an accuracy rifle due to recoil concerns, but 7mm Rem is entirely capable of some very fine accuracy if you build it right and do your part. The Sendero is a great value for a starter rifle, it already has a great barrel and trigger, and sits in a high-quality stock. Put a good scope on it and go shooting.

Saltydog235

Nathan, Savage doesn't offer a 7mmRM in the 112. I have a Savage 10 PC, while its a good little gun, I don't really care for the Savage action. I'd rather have a 700 or Sako action any day.

This isn't a target rifle, it's a do whatever I want rifle. I'm not really bothered by the recoil of a 7mmRM either, none of mine are much more than my '06's, I couldn't imagine a 12lb rifle in shooting trim being too bad. Heck, I wish Sako chambered that 85 Long Range in 7mmRM but the A7 Roughtech is the only one they do it in.

reynolds357

Scorch, I do not build rifles for a living, but I do build my own 1k rifles. Just as an experiment, me and another builder I know decided to build a couple of rifles on Savage 12 actions. We did nothing to the actions but tune the match accutrigger, change bolt face, and used a billet recoil lug. They shoot as good as the Remington 700's after we have put hours of machine work in the Remingtons squaring them and blue printing them to perfection. Barrels on all the rifles are Lilja. I have come to the conclusion that Savage actions are every bit as capable as non sleeved Remington actions. Of course neither of them is a Bat. You are correct in saying that Savage does use some stamped parts, but if we are going to keep the factory triggers; Remington just can not seem to produce one they do not recall.:rolleyes:

Boogershooter

I replace all the new factory tunable triggers with either timney or jewel. Havnt seen any of them yet get below 2 1/2 lbs but most people that don't shoot bench rest guns think a 2 1/2 lb trigger is the shiznit. My personal experience is I'd buy a sako before any remington but I own way more Remingtons than sakos. Winchesters more than sako's even tho I'm currently having a bad experience with them. Any real gunsmith can true any action but remington is the easiest and they still charge the same price lol. If you go to any match shoots it is usually dominated by rem 700 actions as far as numbersoon go and most custom actions are based on the 700. Imy a fan of smooth bolts without feeding problems and u just can't beat winchester or sako for the silliness of the action. Truth is buy what u think you want and next year the budget will b rebuilt and u can add whatever work you want to the rifle. Never settle for what you can afford. If you do u will regret and it will cost you more in the loop got run.

Jack O'Conner

My cousin hunts mule deer, antelope, and elk in Wyoming nearly every year with his Browning auto-loader in 7mm MAG. Good performance even on very long shots. His rifle is not bad on the shoulder either, reminds me of my Savage lever gun in .308 for recoil. He hand loads 140 grain Sierra bullets.

Jack