• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

TFL dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

It’s a pretty simple equation. Forums are on a slight decline overall. Then this one seems to have struggled with:

Heavy handed moderation….can be a good or bad thing. It is a balance
Lack of sales feedback system
Lack of sales activity
Lack of focused conversation areas like Glock only, single shot pistol
Lack of industry engagement
Rude members…seems like many “first posts” go south or off on a tangent

Probably other things. This is a short list.

Nathan

Aguila Blanca said:
Yes, you can do it -- as I just did here. I do it regularly. The point is that the software we use, vBulletin, has that function built into it but the function is disabled on The Firing Line. To quote on TFL requires a couple of manual steps that aren't needed on most forums that run vBulletin.

Why is that shut off…just wondering…

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

The primary reason given a long time ago was 'abuse of quotes'.
Broken into three main factors:
A) Quoting when quoting was unnecessary.
B) Nested quotes getting out of control and overwhelming a thread with excessive, repetitive text.
C) People replying with new posts for each reply they wanted to quote, instead of making one reply with several quotes and responses in it.

tl;dr:
They wanted people to work for it, instead of crapping all over everyone's screens with excessive quotes.

Hawg said:
shafter said:
I think TheHighRoad has more activity over there.
They do and most of the mods aren't so heavy handed. A little thread drift doesn't hurt anything.
Fascinating. [/Mr. Spock voice]

I came over here because I found the moderating on The High Road to be excessively heavy-handed.

FrankenMauser

Same.
I could not even remotely express myself on THR without being reprimanded for saying something, "inappropriate in church and, therefore, inappropriate on a family friendly forum."
After 3-4 incidents of clean, helpful posts getting smacked for "crude" language, I saw myself to the door.

Mal H

Staff
I think the original question has been adequately answered. No need to get into any forum bashing or comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.