Texas to Defy the World Court of International Justice this Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasFats

If they don't like the consequences, then they should not have done the crime! Although, I would have sentenced the kid to life without parole and then put him in general population. Also, if he ended up with a 300 pound animal as a cellmate, then life would be very 'exciting' for him.

gretske

The three US Supreme Court justices, Breyer, Ginsburg and Souter, who voted to uphold the World Court decision, should be impeached for violating their oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States. Specifically, Article 3, Section I, which reads,

"The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court, and in such inferior courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish."

In other words, the World Court has no Constitutional authority in the USA.

I have not read the SCOTUS opinion. Did they vote to give the World Court authority over American justice system or did they vote to commute the death penalties of these criminals? I cannot believe it is the former as some people are portraying it.

gretske

According to the Washington Post:

Justice Stephen G. Breyer wrote in dissent that the court had misread the supremacy clause of the Constitution, which says properly ratified treaties "shall be the supreme law of the land" and that the treaties at issue did not need to be implemented by congressional legislation. "As a result, the nation may well break its word even though the president seeks to live up to that word and Congress has done nothing to suggest the contrary," Breyer wrote. He was joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and David H. Souter.

By the way, these are the same rascals that voted against Heller and in favor of Kelo.

Impeach them!

gretske

By the way, the SCOTUS does not have the power to commute sentences. All they can do is vacate judgments and order new trials.

Justice Stephen G. Breyer wrote in dissent that the court had misread the supremacy clause of the Constitution, which says properly ratified treaties "shall be the supreme law of the land" and that the treaties at issue did not need to be implemented by congressional legislation. "As a result, the nation may well break its word even though the president seeks to live up to that word and Congress has done nothing to suggest the contrary," Breyer wrote. He was joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and David H. Souter.
I will have to look it up and read it. Looks like it might be interesting. Interesting to see what treaties are involved and if we are truly violating any signed treaties.

MeekAndMild

Funny, I don't see Mexico voiding convictions for the US visitors who are regularly jailed on multi-year sentences for what would be misdemeanors or non-crimes in the US. Keeping this gun related I don't see any mad rush to release guys who are still in jail after the local cops found one bullet in their cars.

gretske

Interesting to see what treaties are involved and if we are truly violating any signed treaties.
Let us know what you find, but if the terms of a treaty, even if signed, violate the Constitution, they would be invalid. The Constitution can only be modified by the amendment process, not by laws or treaties.

shinnery jim

I am still glad to be a Texan. and it better happen if they dont want a uprising of mad Texans here. it is way past time to put down this mad dog. and yes i would gladly put the needle in his arm and push the plunger myself. we still have too many on death row here in Texas.:(

Let us know what you find, but if the terms of a treaty, even if signed, violate the Constitution, they would be invalid. The Constitution can only be modified by the amendment process, not by laws or treaties.
I can't imagine that we have ever signed any treaty that would allow foreign visitors (legal or illegal) to commit murder.

Waitone

I can't imagine that we have ever signed any treaty that would allow foreign visitors (legal or illegal) to commit murder.
Nooo, but we have signed numerous "agreements" with countries to get around our treaty ratification process. "Agreements" which are seldom read by those voting. Every economic agreement has enforcement provisions which are not generally known by Useless Eaters.

Joat

Dead Man Walking

Good riddance. If you come to Texas and violate Texas laws, Texas has the right and obligation to punish you to the fullest extent of Texas law.

What are they complaining about? Hasn't Mexico been harping about the US not treating the Mexican nationals who are undocumented guests here unequally? Same thing would have happened to a US citizen. EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL!

Joat

44capnball

If you go to any other country and break any of their laws, I don't care what, could be a law against spitting, you can disappear into a hole somewhere and never be found again. Nobody in the international community says a word. Other countries get to administer their own justice the way they see fit.

Except us.

We need a leader that can tell the rest of em where to stick all this talk of being a good 'world citizen'.

Also, if he ended up with a 300 pound animal as a cellmate, then life would be very 'exciting' for him.

No, because the 300 pound animal then gets to have his jollies. Jail should not be about giving stronger predators a good time. I say get rid of them both.

It is not like these guys committed some vague cultural crime that might not be as bad in some places as others. They didn't accidently show the soles of their feet or touch someone on the head. They committed murder.

xrocket

Rape ...

Murder and Mutilation of two children.

Governor Perry says he'll arrange the Jesus meeting as planned and without any further delays.

Good to go.

copenhagen

PBP:

It is not like these guys committed some vague cultural crime that might not be as bad in some places as others. They didn't accidently show the soles of their feet or touch someone on the head. They committed murder.

And rape and mutilation. Makes me sick. I completely see your point though, hypothetically speaking, lets say an American lady in Iran was on death row for not wearing her head scarf properly... wonder if the World Court would say anything then?

imp

If mexico really didn't want their citizens executed, they wouldn't make it so easy to cross the border illegally.

Status
Not open for further replies.