Test the waters or jump right in?

Which one should I get?

• Total voters

gb_in_ga

I voted for the Smiths, if it were me I'd go for a used one in good condition. For that matter, that's exactly what I did. You won't go wrong with a GP-100, either.

zappadragon

the GP-100 is by far the best gun I own and so far the best one I have ever shot. Also its the most acurate too.

I say get the GP -100

2rugers

tuning

Iz,
The action job he performed was $75.00. It made a huge difference in DA, much lighter break and smooth through the entire squeeze. In SA you definitely do not want to even look at the trigger until you are "lined up". Just guessing, but The break must be around 1 or 2 #'s in SA.
The springs he put in the gun were from Brownells, not wolff, which I had been familiar with and he sent the remainder of the springs in the kit home with the revolver.
On initial range testing everything was fine using rem. and fed. factory ammo in .38 and .357, but primer strikes were to light to set off magtechs I believe, but do not hold me to it. I reload now and use cci primers, never a failure to fire with them.
The wife has an sp-101 she sent off to magnaport for porting, an action job, and a few other upgrades costing around $600.00, it's action pales in comparison. Get the gp, you may find yourself a happy convert as I did.
Brian.

rnovi

It all depends.

Do you want to:
1. Throw as big a chunk of lead as you can find downrange at high relative velocities? Are you a recoil freak who gets his jollies off massive booms? Do you love the thought of fireballs at the local range?

if so, GP100.

2. Are you a bit more of a "finese" shooter? Do you love accuracy and double action shooting? Does the word SMOOOOTH carry more impact with you?

if so, Smith.

Accuracy wise - flip a coin really. Both the Smith and the Ruger are dead accurate.

Having shot both I can honestly say that I prefer the Smith today (even though I own the GP100).

BigBoar

For the price of the Python buy BOTH the GP-100 and 686. That way you can have one for the absurd heavy loads and one with "finesse" as one put it. The Python is nice but for the price of the other two well. Other than that the Python can stand up but may need parts occasionally if shot fast in double action. Also, if you shoot double action the Python stacks in trigger pull vs. the Ruger or Smith. All three can be tuned extremely light if desired but the feel of the actions will be different in terms of when they lock up and quickness of lock time. Only you can decide which one you prefer, sort of like the Ford vs. Chevy thing. If money is no object buy the German Korth.

Regarding quality of tune GP vs SP I agree. My GP seems a lot smoother and being a medium frame has more leverage - sort of like a K frame vs. J frame feel. Even so prefer the SP to a Magnum Carry I had for a small gun.

IM_Lugger

What about Taurus if you want a full size.357, 608 model looks nice :)
H_608SS6.jpg

it's an 8 shot, and will cost you less then a Ruger or a Smith

Btw I love my Raging Bull :)