Test the waters or jump right in?

Which one should I get?

• Total voters

IZinterrogator

I've always wanted one .357 revolver to round out my collection, since I currently have ten autoloaders of various makes and models. I had a shooting buddy a while back that moved, and he was always pushing me to get a Super Blackhawk, but I wanted a DA revolver. So I started looking at the Ruger GP100. It seemed the right way to go at the time, but my interest faded after he left. Now I have got the wheelgun bug back, and I have fallen in love with the Colt Python's lines and blued finish. So, should I get the GP-100 and save some cash, or just jump right into the Python?

BTW, it will just be used for target shooting/plinking.

Ramcharger

I say if you find a Python and have the money get it. :D
Otherwise get a GP100
As much as I luv my GP100 I wouildnt think twice about dumping her for a SNAKE in my holster!

EIGHTYDUECE

I voted Python since that is what you really want.

The GP100 is a good revolver and i like mine ;)

I also really like S&W revolvers. Keep an open mind for a nice N or L frame. I think S&W has one of the best actions and workmanship out there. I just purchased an almost new Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman 6" and used to own a very nice 6" model 29 nickle. I forsee many more S&W revolvers in my collection in within the year.

Eghad

Pezo....what ya talkin about? I know a fella that used a Python in the early days of sillohuette shooting and he didnt baby it, the handloads were hot stuff. I am sure there was a bad one in the bunch every so often...but I have never heard a complaint form the Python owners I have known....

I would find a nice used blued Python, second Choice would be a S&W 686 if you can find a used one. I have marked the 686 of my shopping list because I own one...

Python is the next on the list.

Fremmer

Buy the Python if you really want it. Otherwise, take the money you would have spent on the Python and use it to buy a Smith and a Ruger. :)

BigBoar

I agree with Fremmer. I have owned Pythons, 686's including a Mtn. Gun, 66's and Security Sixes and GP's. If target shooting in single action the Python will last a long time and if tuned by a "master" gunsmith its action is really smooth and ligh and something to behold. If used in FAST double action people say they will go out of time in about 4,000 rounds which is due to the design of how the hand works compared to others. I never shot mine in this mode much so would not know. I seem to recall that the Florida Hwy. Patrol and Colorado State Patrol at one time used Pythons so they must survice some double action shooting.

If it is really what you have your heart set on get it. If it doesn't work out sell it and buy whatever is down the list.

Webleymkv

Instead of a Python, look for a Trooper Mk III. I've tried the triggers on both and can't tell a bit of difference. The last Trooper I looked at was about $500 less than the last Python I looked at though.

Ranger325

Like so many others have said, of you 'want' a Python buy a Python -- you're not get over the bug. If not, I recommend you look at a nice older Smith. ;) I own both and love 'em all. Never had a Ruger, so I can't say anything pro or con.
Good luck and Good shooting........ oh yeah- let us know what you decide.

Pappy John

S&W 686.....it's the best .357 for the money, taking into account strength and trigger feel. I had one and it was a great revolver that served me well in the PPC leagues for a few years, but my tastes in revolvers eventually went to the bigger bores and it became trade goods long ago. :(

Never could get used to Python triggers myself, and I've tried a few. I think the spring pressure stacks up in the double action pull. :confused: Beautiful bluing though.

Eghad

I have a 686...and I love it. If I had to choose between a Nice Blued Python and a GP-100 the Python would win hands down. I have no beef with the GP-100, but a Python it is not.

HSMITH

I have owned Pythons (3) and Gp-100's (2) and currently inventory NONE of them. The Python action is absurdly over rated, it is nice but it isn't anywhere near as nice as most would have you believe.

The GP, well this is a tougher one. THE most accurate handgun I have ever owned is a GP100 with a 4" barrel. That gun with a good scope and good handloads would do 1.5" at ONE HUNDRED YARDS. I don't give a XXXX if anyone believes it or not, I know what happened. The downside of the GP is a coil spring action, even with a full action job and spring kit it still sucks in DA mode compared to a nice python or a good smith.

I own only S&W revolvers now. I have found that the action is good or better than most out of the box and with a little tuning is as good or better than a Python. A finely tuned Smith is easier and more pleasant to shoot than any Python. It is also much more durable.

Get a good Smith and end up where you should be without spending thousands like the rest of us to find out where it really is at..

cje1980

Can't go wrong with a GP100. Extremely tough and very accurate from my experience. S&W 686 also gets my vote.

2rugers

30,000 rds. and counting without a single problem is one good reason. "Accurate", very. I had the smith at Elk Castle shooting sports in Ft.Worth "tune" mine, all I can say is WOW! That range on Ft. Hood is close and all to familiar, let me know if you want to give one a good "hands on". Brian