Votes: 12 20.7%
  • HK40 13+1 .40 caliber

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Sig P220 8+1 .45 caliber

Votes: 21 36.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garycw

It's getting about that time for copperheads too. I saw one near there a few weeks ago during a warm spell. I see them in spring more than any other time. A good walking stick usually works good.

Bozz10mm

For a woods gun, I would pick the .40 out of those three. But I would load it up with some extra power rounds like Underwood or Corbon.

uradaisyifudo

Have you not seen the movie Deliverance? That was bow season! I would not hike that country short an assault rifle and steel undergarments. In Idaho and Montana my camping gun is a .44 Super Blackhawk. After many years in the woods I have never needed a side arm, but just in case, for that 1 rogue bear. We have cougars and wolves now too (more of a concern for my dogs), turns out the mountain goats are the cocky sons of guns, no respect I tells ya'.

Wishoot

The worst encounter I had in the Tennessee woods was an older gentleman that wanted to sell me shine. I was carrying my lowly LCP and felt perfectly fine.

The shine was excellent btw...

Garycw

CCI makes shot shells in 40 S&W. I'd consider taking a few and load first one in chamber followed by HP's & FMJ. I've got some of the Shotshells in .45 ACP but haven't shot any yet.

sarge83

Out of the ones listed I would go with the .40 or .45 which would take care of the two legged variety of a potential problem. And do carry for the two legged kind in the SMNP, people go missing on the Appalachian Trail all the time.

As for the bears I live near the Cumberland Gap National Park and they are out and about looking for food right now. The acorn crop in this area was not good last fall so the beasts are hungry. When I am out and about my place I carry a .44 magnum for the two legged, four legged and the crawling critters with a poisonous bite.

nc-oldfart

If your so close to a snake that you have to shoot it its close enough to bite you. So walk around it or if you carry a walking stick that serves as a great snake mover or snake killer. No use waisting a shot or 4 try'n to kill a snake an disturb everything with in a 1/2mile.

Black bears are not any harder to kill than a man is. take what ever you prefer for people and you will be fine. becides , If a bear really wants you chancers are you will not even clean your holster. The rest of the worrysome game would be so rare and more scared of you than you would be from them. Hunters have kill bears with 9mm's and 38sp .

If you really have that much of a worry take some bear spray along. Its far worse than your typical "leo" spray on game and people in general. .

Dragline45

Skans said:
All of those choices are too big. I'd bring my Ruger LC9, which is what I typically carry while camping and/or hiking in the Appalachians

I hike with a pack and a shotgun, I wouldn't necessarily call any of those handgun choices too big. The biggest threat where I hike/camp are black bear and moose, and sure black bear aren't as dangerous as brown bear, but black bear on the east coast tend to be on the larger side.

Kevin_d77

I'm a Florida boy. We don't have mountains or plush woods and we certainly don't have too many bear encounters in SW FL so pardon my ignorance in these matters. Just trying to understand my surroundings better when I travel.

nc-oldfart

kevin your not looking hard enough. Get some buddies and take a walking tour of the fakahatchee stand . Or whats leave undeveloped areas back behind the old fill pit north of the swamp buggy track up to and around baba franks , old 3 to 4 mile marker over to and including the south blocks . We use to see bears daily in any of those areas. Saw my was big cat to off the old 13 mile mark in the south blocks 30 years ago.
Doing some walk and stalk south of the 4mile road I heard a thump, 5 minutes later another thump and so on. I started walking till it was close and started watching for what it was making the thump. It was a black bear climbing up a cabbage palm and using its weight to pull on the head of a cabbage palm "aka swamp cabbage" . kept pulling and falling out of a 6 foot till the beat got the heart out of it. Now you know why you see died cabbage palms with the top bend over. Even the north blocks have had bear issues for as long as theres been homes out there.

If you don't know these areas ask any hunter in the 50's maybe the kids.

Garycw

80 yo woman near Tampa was finally thrown in jail because she wouldn't stop feeding the bears recently. So there are bears in fl. More concentrated around gatlinburg & surrounding areas though.

nc-oldfart

We had here in yancey county nc and the few surrounding counties we 740 bear killed last year hunting. Just a normal bear season.

tony pasley

I ride trails on both sides of the state lines in SMNP and, I carry a 1911a1 45 acp and only time I have needed to shoot was coyotes/feral dogs. I have seen bears, snakes, fox, bobcats and those elk they released. The elk are dangerous because they don't fear people like they should. Shiners will want you to buy a quart or 2, cash croppers are dangerous at harvest time then there are the meth-heads and a very few just evil people. that are what you could face but most likely won't be shooting in the park with anything more than your camera. Carry an extra battery and SD card so you can get all the pics you want.

Brian48

Bottom line, your biggest threat are the 2 legged variety. I'd plan for that above all else.

As far as the 4 legged variety, I'd carry a can of pepper spray and opt for that first before having to shoot anything. The way I see it, I'm the one trespassing on their land. There's no malice involved when it comes to animals. They're just trying to survive.

Garycw

The Bears are on the move this time of year. You're almost guaranteed to see one or more around gatlinburg. Especially behind the eateries in town.
But there diffidently in Florida too. Here's a article were a woman was attacked in her garage. By not one but five.
Another incident around Tampa area is raccoons with rabbies. A young girl took her dog out in front yard and was attracted and it even chased her into the house still attacking her.
Woman attacked by bears?
http://wtvt.m0bl.net/r/1vex84

Last edited:

Kevin_d77

Well thanks for all of the replies. I ended up bringing my XD40 however, due to unforseen life events, we didn't do any strenuous hiking. We only went to Klingmans Dome and Cade's Cove so I just brought my Shield.

We did see bears however on 3 separate occasions which was a really cool experience for my wife and I. Each time was a mother and her cubs. Really neat.