Votes: 12 20.7%
  • HK40 13+1 .40 caliber

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Sig P220 8+1 .45 caliber

Votes: 21 36.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kevin_d77

Headed out to Gatlinburg in April and will be bringing several pistols to go shoot with my Dad in SC later on. What would be a good round to carry for protection while trekking around the national parks up there? I typically carry a 9 but have 2 choices in 40 and a single stack 45 that are options. Which would you choose?

BarryLee

In that area your biggest threat will probably be two legged. Any of the guns you list should work fine, so I personally would go with the gun that was easiest to carry and worry less about the actual caliber.

Kevin_d77

That's is EXACTLY the type of info I was looking for! My Dad live outside of Greenville where he recommends watching out for bears so I just wanted to double check. Looks like the 228 will stay in rotation.

mk70ss

Any of the listed choices will work just fine. Pick the one you shoot the best with and go, you are well armed. When we ride mules here in Tennessee, I carry a Ruger Vaquero in .45 LC. Mostly for protection from two leggedeedators, but we have jumped an occasional wild hog in East Tennessee.

Skans

All of those choices are too big. I'd bring my Ruger LC9, which is what I typically carry while camping and/or hiking in the Appalachians. FWIW, you need to know the laws/rules while hiking in a national forest. I have seen notices that prohibit firearms in some areas.

I never understood why folks think they need to carry something bigger than they normally carry in regions not known for large animal (i.e. bear) attacks.

Last edited:

Kevin_d77

My Shield goes everywhere with me, those were just larger capacity options. I will make sure to check all applicable laws (as usual) before I go anywhere.

Kevin_d77

They're all about the same with the exception of the Shield. I was more wondering about what type of wildlife I could expect to encounter first. Knowing that the 2 legged kind was most likely, that frees up the options greatky.

Kreyzhorse

Whatever you shoot best and carries well... Any of those will take care of any two legged predator you might encounter.

Wreck-n-Crew

You know this poll is unfair to city folk?! :D;)
.40 S&W has a good reputation to punch through hard objects and still get good penetration. More versatile for the needs you may encounter. Unless you want to go with a 45 Super setup? :eek:.....

Dave T

Kind of raining on your parade but the last I heard you can't carry in a National Park so it doesn't matter what gun you have…the Feds don't/won't trust you with it.

Dave

jmr40

As of 2010 carry is legal in NP's as long as you have a valid permit in that state. SMNP is in TN and NC. Make sure your permit is good in both states, or stay only in the state where you're legal

Carry is legal in the woods, not inside a building owned by the Fed's though. Make sure before you go inside.

SMNP is probably the most populated area for black bear in the USA. You likely will see bear at that time of year. A lady was killed by a bear there in 2000 and a small child just outside the park in 2006 I think it was. There have been several incidents in recent years where hiker/bear incidents have happened. A hiker was bitten on the foot and the bear killed 2-3 years ago.

I think a $30-$40 can of bear spray is a better defense. Of your choices I'd take a .40 loaded with heavy bullets. I hike there often and carry my G-20. Seen lots of bear, never felt threatened. But I do believe in being prepared.

The parks in SC,.. you might get lucky enough to see a coyote, but your biggest threat would be one our our random meth heads begging for cash. Keep it easy breezy. Carry the 45 in SC. Slimmer profile makes for easy totin'.

For TN,.. I don't know. Judging from my Kentucky experience I'd suggest carrying 2 guns. I got attacked in Louisville. Hopefully neighbors are no reflection on each other. LOL

Last edited: