Tell me all about Smith and Wesson's model 27

SaxonPig

Also note that the 27 originally had Magna stocks and narrow hammer/trigger as standard equipment. In 1974 or 75 S&W ordered all 27s to be configured with full target options as standard. Even the 3.5" guns came with Target stocks which I think is a mistake on the short barrel. Stocks look way too big.

rock185

Soclose, Were I in the market, I would pay that price. I've owned my 5" 27-2 since purchased new in 1977. It's been trouble free and I can't think of anything negative to report about this model.

Attachments

• 27-2 (640x480).jpg
    27-2 (640x480).jpg
    121 KB · Views: 68

Soclosenotnear

saxonpig said:
Also note that the 27 originally had Magna stocks and narrow hammer/trigger as standard equipment. In 1974 or 75 S&W ordered all 27s to be configured with full target options as standard. Even the 3.5" guns came with Target stocks which I think is a mistake on the short barrel. Stocks look way too big.

If my thought process is right, the one I am looking at has just the magna grips and standard hammer/trigger. Does this mean this particular one was '74ish since it does not have the target accessories?

SansSouci

Many hold the opinion that the Model 27 is the best .357 Revolver ever produced. Of course, Python aficionados will disagree. And I'm sure that Korth would give the Model 27 a viable challenge for top spot.

44 AMP

Staff
Personally, I have not run into any bad Bangor Punta era S&W revolvers. The Bangor Punta era was from 1965 until 1987.

Friend got an 8 3/8" 629 in late 80. It was a very nice gun, until the barrel started to unscrew. He sent it back to S&W and it came back with the barrel on straight, and the explanation "no problem found". He then sold it.

Since then, I have had no interest in any non-pinned barrel S&W. There's more than enough of the older, pinned & recessed guns to satisfy my needs.

Ok, maybe Bangor Punta era Smiths get more of a bad rap than they really deserve, but it is a fact that some of the guns put out during those years were not as good as previous years. From what I've seen the "bad" ones are mostly from the "transition" period when they stopped pinning the barrels and dropped the recessed chambers, which varies from model to model.

Since then, I have had no interest in any non-pinned barrel S&W. There's more than enough of the older, pinned & recessed guns to satisfy my needs.

All my Bangor Punta era Smiths are from the mid 1970s. They all have pinned barrels.

Hunter Customs

mvc-001f-1.jpg

I love my model 27, one of the most accurate handguns I own.
In my opinion the model 27 is the nicest 357 revolver ever built.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

salvadore

I owned 3 5" M-27s, because Skeeter is the gun scribe I grew up with. At least one of them had to have the target trigger and hammer traded off for service types. Wish I still had one of them.

Dave T

Despite liking big bores (44 -45) I have a soft spot in my heart for the N-framed 357 Magnums. And yes, my preference is for the older guns - pinned and recessed at a minimum and the more screws the better. (smile)

Later today I'm picking up a 1953-54 vintage 3.5" S&W 357 Magnum. I've owned a couple "357 Magnums" before and for various stupid reasons sold or traded them. In my declining years I think I'll keep this one.

Dave

Soclosenotnear

I had all but talked myself out of this as like I said, it would be difficult to afford. I have been making a real effort to only add to my gun collection without selling/trading, but you guys are convincing me otherwise. Also, it is at the pawnshop I manage and we have to remove the pistols every night and lock them in our gun room. It pains me to see it thrown in a cart butted up against others.

44 AMP

Staff
its not going to get any cheaper, as time goes by, either.

It may be difficult, but one thing I've learned over the years, is that somehow, I always get more money. I don't get more time, and I don't get to go back and make deals I missed.

If your bills get paid, your family has food, shelter, and clothing, isn't the rest up to your discretion? :rolleyes:

Your call, but look how many are saying "I'm kicking myself now...." for missing the chance, or selling because they felt like it at the time....

Wife chewed me out one time, because she found out I had put a rifle on lay-away, while we were "saving up" to go on vacation. She found out after the vacation, and it wasn't the actual money that upset her, only that I didn't put EVERY penny I got into the vacation fund.

A small matter, in the long run. I still have that rifle, more than 30 years later, and I still have the same wife. Single income (mine) family. She got over it. :D

Soclosenotnear

Would you worry about finish blemishes on the grip? Or that it appears the side plate has been off at some point? I'll upload some pictures of it this evening.

Overall, it is in great condition, and I realize I'm nitpicking, but just curious what you folks thought;.

Soclosenotnear

I am not able to embed the pictures any more.

Attachments

• IMG_20170408_163721.jpg
    IMG_20170408_163721.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20170408_163741.jpg
    IMG_20170408_163741.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 54
Howdy

That gun is somewhere around 40 years old. I can barely see any marks on the grips at all. From what you posted, it does not look like the grips were pried off, those are just light handling marks.

I sure as heck would not be concerned about that.

Regarding the side plate, it appears to me that somebody has messed with the rear screw near the trigger guard, using a poorly fitted screw driver to scar up the finish a bit around the screw. The screw slot looks slightly buggered up, but I have certainly seen worse. I do not see any evidence in your photo that the side plate has been pried off, which is a huge no no.

If it was me, these minor defects would not bother me at all. More importantly would be making sure the action functions properly. Did somebody remove the grips and the side plate in the last 40 years? Probably. If somebody messed something up inside while they had the side plate off, that should show up when you function test the gun.

Use the Revolver Check Out thread pinned at the top of this page to make sure it functions properly.

Soclosenotnear

I should not have said grips, but the top portion of metal between the grips just has spots of surface rust. It is easy to zoom in on my telephone, but probably not on a pc.

BigJimP

I love the model 27's ....especially a 4" 27-2 Nickel that I have had for a long time...

But the condition of that screw near trigger guard and the surface rust worry me a lot in your latest photos....and without further inspection i would be cautious on this gun. But since you manage the shop ...do the revolver check referenced for timing, etc....and ask shop owner if you can take grips and sideplate off to inspect internals...look for rust, abuse, etc...

If its truly surface rust get it cleaned up & check it..../ but rust or any pitting let alone any mechanical or timing issues would not make this gun a good investment in my view....grips can be replaced for about $ 150 ....and the 5" is desirable...but condition is really important.

Not trying to be an irritant...but make sure you are measuring that barrel length correctly ...you measure from the forcing cone, just in front of cylinder, to end of barrel...( it kind of looks like a 6" gun in the photos...but I can't tell for sure )....and a 6" is not as popular in the model 27 as a 5" or 4" ...or 3 1/2"...

Last edited:

Soclosenotnear

Just sold it to a good customer of mine. So, although I'm not getting it, at least I know it's going to a good home(better than it getting banged up in my shop). It just wasn't in the cards for me this time. There will be others. Thanks for all the information, nonetheless.

kraigwy

Was 74-77 a good era for Smith and Wesson?

The '70s were excellent years for Smith Revolvers.

I have a 1973 Mode 28 that I was issued in 1974 by my department, I shot the crap out of it with good solid 357 loads. I was gifted the gun when I retired and I still shoot it a lot and its as solid as the day it was issued.

I also have the 6.5 inch Model 27 I got in the later part of the 70s. I've shot it a lot but maybe not as much as my service revolver. But again its as solid as the day I got it new.

Only thing I didn't like about the '27 was its not a service revolver. That extra barrel length sucks when your setting is a patrol car all day. The extra 2.5 inches does make a difference.

My 27 had target sights and will the longer barrel (sight radius) I can shoot it a bit better then my 28.

If I was ever to go back into law enforcement (at near 70 that aint happening) my Model 28 would be my number one choice.

I shoot both the 28 & 27 in bowling pin matches, again the 27 is a bit more accurate for the reasons stated above. I had to load down my ammo for the pins, I've did have an occasion where my full load SWCs ripped through a pin without knocking it down, or off the table.

The N frame Smiths are without a doubt my favorite revolvers. A real hand gun.

In O.W. Wilson's Text Book, POLICE ADMINISTRATION, he says "the service revolver should be heavy, so it can be used as a club if necessary" . I doubt I pistol whip anyone soon, but those old N frames would fit the bill.

They would have done Matt Dillon proud for thumping bandits.

Anyway, congrats on your find. Judging by the price I paid for my '27, inflation and all, that looks to be to be a fair price.

Unlike the K frames, you don't have to ration your 357s, I've shoot loose a Model 19 and Model 13, K Frames just don't hold up to steady 357 uses.

Real Cops Carry Revolvers

Model%2028.JPG

SIGSHR

I have a 4" nickel M-27-2 and a 6" M-28.The M-27 is sort of THE 357 Magnum, first revolver chambered for it, perhaps a tad large for CCW, but for an all around revolver hard to beat.