Tell me all about Smith and Wesson's model 27

Soclosenotnear

I have the opportunity to scoop up a nice Smith and Wesson 27-2, serial number N214351. I'm looking for any information regarding this particular gun and this model in general. I picked up my first Smith recently, a beautiful smith 15-4 w/ box and papers. This revolver is just the gun itself. The price is $850 and tax for me, which I'm sure you folks will be able to tell me if that's fair or otherwise. I will say that would be more than I've ever spent on a firearm and will be strenuous even on layaway for me to manage.

Thanks,
Joseph

Attachments

• IMG_20170401_115718.jpg
    IMG_20170401_115718.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_20170401_115728.jpg
    IMG_20170401_115728.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Soclosenotnear

Photobucket seems to be giving me problems.

For some reason, copying and pasting the IMG link works on other sites but not here, although it has before.

I figured out how to post them using a direct link and uploading it through the site itself, based on someone else's problems they posted about on this site.

Last edited:

DaleA

What length barrel?

Disclaimer: I'm not a S&W expert. I'm sure several will be along shortly.

I think if it's in excellent condition $850 would not be out of line.

The S&W Model 27 is an iconic .357 magnum that with its deep blue finish is maybe the pinnacle of double action revolver production.

IMhO the S&W Model 27 is on par with the Colt Python. The Python sells for 3x the amount you mentioned because the legendary Colt 'Royal Blue' finish is generally regarded as better than the S&W finish and mostly because the Python is out of production which of course drives up the price.

If you can, make sure you get the box and papers and any tools that came with it. If you're going to use it as a shooter that you will keep these aren't so important but if you decide to sell it or keep it hoping the value will go up then the box, papers etc become more important.

Note: This thread just came up on the Model 28 and some info about the Model 27 that might interest you.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585583

Last edited:

Soclosenotnear

It does not include any of those extras with it. It is only the revolver. It has a 5" barrel. I will work on getting my pictures working later tonight, although I don't know why they aren't.

Well.........says he, warming to the subject.

In the early 1930s Smith and Wesson responded to requests from law enforcement agencies for a more powerful 38 caliber revolver than the standard K frame Military and Police revolvers they were making at the time. S&W came up with a new high velocity loading for the 38 Special cartridge, but felt the pressure it developed was too much for the cylinder of a K frame revolver. The larger N frame seemed the perfect platform for the new cartridge. N frame revolvers were usually chambered for 44 and 45 caliber cartridges, so by chambering the large cylinder for six 38 Special chambers, there was extra steel remaining between chambers for the extra strength needed for the high velocity 38 Special rounds. The new revolvers were called the 38-44 revolvers, because they were 38 caliber but built on frames usually reserved for 44 caliber revolvers. There were two versions, the 38-44 Heavy Duty, with fixed sights, and the 38-44 Outdoorsman, with adjustable sights. The special high velocity rounds were called 38-44 S&W Special and later were called 38 Special High Velocity.

This 38-44 Heavy Duty revolver shipped in 1931.

38-44%20HD%2039066%2002_zpsi2wve4o2.jpg

The problem with this arrangement was that the high velocity 38-44 round was dimensionally the same as a standard 38 Special, and could be accidentally loaded into a standard K frame revolver with potentially disastrous results.

So in 1935 S&W lengthened the case of the 38 Special High Velocity round by about 1/10" so it could not be loaded into a standard 38 Special revolver. The new round was dubbed the 357 Magnum. Legend has it that Douglas Wesson, grandson of founder D. B. Wesson was a wine aficionado, and since a big bottle of wine is called a Magnum, Douglas thought this was a good name.

In any case, a new revolver was developed for the new round. It was basically a fancy version of the 38-44 Outdoorsman, with the chambers lengthened to accommodate the 357 Magnum round.

The new revolver was named simply The 357 Magnum. S&W came up with a clever marketing marketing campaign at this time. The new revolvers were made to order, with many different barrel lengths available, different styles of front sights, blue or nickel plated finishes, and standard service grips or Magna grips. Another feature that was standard on the 357 Magnum revolvers was the top strap and barrel rib received a distinctive checkered pattern. In addition, each revolver came with a registration form for the owner to fill out. The factory kept records of who ordered each revolver, and each revolver was stamped with a registration number, in addition to the serial number.

These revolvers were known as the Registered Magnums. They were the flagship model of the S&W revolver line.

The Registered Magnum program did not last very long, the factory could not keep up with the demand for the custom revolvers. By 1939 the Registered Magnum program had ceased, and all the 357 Magnum revolvers produced after that reverted to the name 357 Magnum.

In 1957 Smith and Wesson adopted a new numbering system for cataloging their firearms. The original large frame 357 Magnum revolver became the Model 27 at that point.

This 6" Model 27 shipped in 1959.

model%2027%2007_zpszq97oozg.jpg

Barrel lengths for the Model 27 were originally 3 1/2" and 5". Later, barrel lengths of 4", 6", 6 1/2", and 8 3/8" were available. Finish was either blue or nickel plated. The distinctive checkering on the top strap and barrel rib remained a feature of the Model 27. In this photo, a Model 27 is in front, a Model 19 is at the rear.

TopStrapsModel27model1902_zps71813be8.jpg

SN N214351 shipped sometime between 1974 and 1977.

These days, I would say $850 is a fair price for a Model 27 in really good shape.

Last edited:

DaleA

Thank you Driftwood.
(See Soclosenotnear, I TOLD you someone would be along shortly.)

I'm very interested in the information you provided as I've never quit kicking myself for passing up a pristine Model 27 (box and everything) back in the late 1970's. A friend offered it to me one night for $300. I said no thanks. I thought about it over night and came back the next day to say I'd take it but he was out of town. The next day I was out of town, I was moving. We didn't match up again. Sigh. You snooze you loose.

Soclosenotnear

Driftwood, I know you're told this all the time, but thanks for the very informative post. You've got to have the 'best' 1300 posts on the forums history.

Was 74-77 a good era for Smith and Wesson? Is that a Bangor punta gun? Does that matter? If I do acquire this gun, it will spend most of it's time in the safe with the occasional range visit.

mikejonestkd

Bangor guns were good, but there were a few lemons that got out of the factory during that time period. Generally, earlier Smiths ( pre 1965 or so) are more highly regarded, but many, many Bangor era guns were outstanding too.

I have several bangor era smiths, and they have all been fine. Please visit the sticky link at the top of this subforum, and check it out before you buy.

old bear

The .357 Magnum, which became the model 27 in 1957 or 1958, was Smith and Wesson's Flagship product, and one of the best if not the best production revolver ever produced.

$900.00 for the 5" model you are looking at is well with in the going price range. See if you can't remove the stocks to determine if they have the same serial number as the revolver. If so that adds to the collectors value.

If you can afford to do get that guy NOW, before someone else does.

SaxonPig

S&W developed the 357 cartridge in 1935 and until 1939 built ultra deluxe N frame revolvers that were a custom order situation. Buyers specified barrel length, type of sights, etc. Original buyers got a registration certificate and these guns are called "Registered Magnums" as a result. S&W always called the revolver simply "The 357 Magnum."

In 1939-40 the custom order process was dropped and the guns became more assembly line with limited options. Called "Pre-War Magnums."

Production resumed in late 1940s and in 1950 action was redesigned to a shorter hammer throw. S&W still called the revolver "The 357 Magnum." No longer a custom order item the 357 remained the top of the S&W line and the most deluxe revolver they made.

Designated the Model 27 in 1957. Changes made it the 27-1 in 1961 and 27-2 in 1962. The deluxe nature of the 27 started to fade in 1982 with the introduction of the 27-3. Honestly, I started to lose interest at that point and can't tell you much about the guns made 1982 to date. All of mine are -2 and earlier.

A 1938 Registered Magnum. One of 50 inscribed for the Utah Highway Patrol. The RMs were marketed as powerful sidearms for law enforcement and many were sold to police.

standard.jpg

Another police revolver, a 27-2 in nickel with a 5" barrel stamped for the Florida Highway Ptrol.

standard.jpg

A 5" M27 in nickel.

standard.jpg

A 27-2 with the popular 3.5" barrel.

standard.jpg

A "357" with the rare 6.5" barrel. The red ramp and white outline sights are original.

standard.jpg

Marketing the 357 in the 1930s.

standard.jpg

rodfac

A quick check on Gunbroker this AM shows you are well within the asking price for that model. Rare and Anniversary models go for a good deal more than what you paid. Rod

Was 74-77 a good era for Smith and Wesson? Is that a Bangor punta gun? Does that matter? If I do acquire this gun, it will spend most of it's time in the safe with the occasional range visit.

Howdy Again

The Bangor Punta era seems to get a bad rap these days. All I can tell you is at this point I have probably 7 S&W revolvers made during the Bangor Punta era and they are all excellent. I have been inside several of them and the machining is second to none, a good example of early CNC machining.

Personally, I have not run into any bad Bangor Punta era S&W revolvers. The Bangor Punta era was from 1965 until 1987. Most of mine were made in the mid to late 1970s.

Jim Watson

I never had but one duff S&W and I don't know if it was from BP or Lear.

I am amused at the present enthusiasm for -2 Smiths.
Back when I cared about such things, they were completely ignored.
You were not with it if you did not have at least a "four screw" and preferably a "five screw" gun.

I am amused at the present enthusiasm for -2 Smiths.
Back when I cared about such things, they were completely ignored.
You were not with it if you did not have at least a "four screw" and preferably a "five screw" gun.

I guess I wasn't 'with it' back in 1975 when I bought my first two Smiths, a brand-spanky new Model 17-3 and a brand-spanky new Model 19-3. Both of them were three screws.

bamaranger

kick here

I traded a pinned and recessed M27, 6", with box and tools, ordered and received new by me.......and am sick about it to this day. Ya see, I just had to have a M29, which I also eventually traded.

Apply boot here......repeatedly.

SIGSHR

_2s, Pinned and recessed-and pre-locks-are now "vintage" and hence more desireable.
I have one, 4" nickel. Paid $250 in 1986, and it had an action job.

Wheel-Gunner

Very informative thread guys!! Thank you!! After reading I just had to get my 27 (8 3/8" barrel) out of the safe. My wife found me staring at it with a pleasant smile on my face. This baby isn't going anywhere.

walks with gun

The model 27, along with the Colt Peacemaker and the 1911 are Gods gift to the American public. The 3.5 inch model 27 is one of the finest looking handguns ever made, the others are nice but.