Tell me about your favorite .35 cal cartridges!

bamaranger

family favorite

The .35 Rem, in a Remington pump, 14 or 141 was a family favorite back in the day, launchng 200 gr W-W Silvertips. Oddly, I have never owned one, my Rem pump is in the dimimutive .30 Rem and I was teased plenty as a kid.

Were I to go out and buy/build a .35 cal, it would be a .358 Win, a short stubby bolt rifle..call it...........a "Hog Scout".

The .35 I shoot the most, is my Marlin .357. I've been all over the chart with bullet styles and weights, but 158 JHP is currently standard.

FrankenMauser

I've been trying to build a .35 Whelen for several years. There have been two (3?) donor actions. One was damaged, and unusable. Another was just an absolute shooter, and stayed the way it was (.30-06).

It seems like a great cartridge. I just need to find the next donor.

I even have my own hand loads sitting on the shelves in my reloading room, waiting for that .35 Whelen to be built...

sundog

35 Whelen with a 358009 Improved cast bullet (mould by David Mos) running about 2K fps. I shoot it from a rebarreled (14 twist Shilen) Rem 700 which is affectionately known as, "Thumper".

Biggs300

Recently found a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye in a 358 Win and out of the box it was MOA @ 100 yrds with 200gr factory loads once I got my Luepold VXII 2-7X33 dialed in. I have finished breaking in the barrel and will soon start working up loads for 225 Partitions and/or Accubonds. It is easy on the shoulder and based on it's accuracy, it will definitely be my deer rifle and either my primary or backup for elk. My current elk gun is a Browning X-Bolt 300wm. I'm really liking this little 35 and couldn't be happier with its performance.

oneoldsap

When working up loads for your .358 Win. you might give W-748 a try with those .225s . Mine cloverleafs them at 2450 FPS . out of my 20" barreled 760 .

LSnSC

I finished up the season with my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. On paper it doesnt look too impressive, but in the field its a hammer. As good within its limits as anything Ive used. Everything Ive ever shot with it has been a bang flop. Factory loads dont do the cartridge justice, due to them being downloaded for the older semi autos.
My 357 Max is my favorite Contender barrel. its about perfect for the 10" tube.

Biggs300

oneoldsap, thanks for the tip on the W-748. I'm also considering H4895 and TAC, the latter of which I understand works well with 225gr Partitions, Accubonds out of a 22 in. barrel. I think my brother has a small supply of W-784 so I may give it a try first.

44 AMP

Staff
The .350 Rem Mag was an excellent caliber. Reasonably hard hitting without being too punishing to the shooter.

have you ever shot one? in the original 600/660 carbine?

I have one, and when you load it up, it hits hard, on both ends.

In a bigger, heavier gun, its not as bad. Short action compact, .35 Whelen power.

And yes, it hits like the Hammer of Thor....

Jack O'Conner

I feel that 35 Remington is a better cartridge than 30-30 for game larger than deer. By better I mean to say that 200 grain bullet hits harder. Anyone is allowed to disagree.

Jack

Marlin35.jpg