Tell me about your favorite .35 cal cartridges!

Daekar

So, in the course of reading I've come across several glowing evaluations of cartridges like the 35 Rem, 35 Whelen, the 35/30-30, and 357 Maximum. From everything I can tell, the 357 Max is almost the perfect cartridge for inside 200 yards... easy to headspace, easy to reload, powder-efficient, hard-hitting... just no longer available to non-handloaders, which irks me because it would work great in an Encore. I'm just nervous about the prospect of purchasing a gun where brass is in limited supply and impossible to form from other cases. I have a buddy at work who usually likes little fast (6mm and smaller) cartridges and he's decide to build a 358 Winchester, I think it is. I get the impression that people either love or hate 35 cal stuff...so, tell me how YOU feel about 35 cal!

Smokey Joe

How I feel about .35's...

Daekar--Well, I was hot to get a .35 Whelen AI, or a .35 Sambar, until I happened onto an 8mm Mauser M-48. (8mm = .32 cal) I like the M-48 platform VERY much, and have been working with that now for a couple of years, so my enthusiasm for a different caliber so close has waned considerably.

Not, you understand, that if a .35 of some description were to follow me home I'd be so heartless as to tell it to leave. :)

Well, you asked.

PawPaw

The .35 caliber kills really well. Diameter, mass, and momentum have their own sterling qualities in gauging a hunting bullet and the .35 calibers seem to enjoy a reputation for killing-power all out of proportion to their case size.

For years my only centerfire rifle was a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. It threw a 200 grain bullet at something like 2000 fps, which isn't much on paper, but when that bullet whacked into something meaty, that something usually fell over right there. Not a long range cartridge by any means, but it had a heck of a thump.

If you're a handloader, the .35 Remington really shines. You can load any bullet in that case that you'd normally load for a revolver. It shoots cast bullets with aplomb and because the initial velocities are so slow, you don't really need to load down for cast.

There are other good cartridges in .35 caliber that I have no experience with, but the .35 Whelen and the .350 Remington magnum both have their adherents. If you're looking for a bore size out of the mainstream, the .35 caliber might be the one you're looking for.

Japle

I love my custom .358 Norma Mag. I can load it with 250 gr bullets at 2760 fps for the big stuff, 310 gr solids at 2475 fps for the really big stuff or 200 gr SPs at 2050 fps for the small stuff.

358NormaMag.jpg

old roper

Right now I'm shooting a 35 WhelenAI used it last year on elk didn't use it this year other project rifle I wanted to hunt but if I draw a bear tag next year I use.

silvrjeepr

Since Mississippi now allows certain 35 caliber and above rifles to count as primative weapons, my interest in the 35 cal has been peaked. I'll probably own a 35 whelen soon due to this silly law.

ammo.crafter

I'm with you. I absolutely love the 357 max. I shoot mine out of a 14-inch Contender with 190gr LSWC bullets. Strong medicine for boar!

Would love to see a semi-auto in this round.

Scorch

My #1 favorite 35 cal is 9X57mm, it is just a stone cold killer.

My #2 favorite is the 357/44 Bains-Davis. It is a simple to make wildcat that really turns up the heat on single shot pistols and lever action rifles. Makes the 357 Max look like an old lady's purse gun.

One problem with the 35 caliber is that there are not a lot of bullet choices available. Another is that since you are shooting heavy bullets, they kick hard. Nothing super bad, but those are issues.

black mamba

I love my custom Mauser in 35 Ackley Whelen. 24" cut-rifled 14" twist stainless match barrel.

MediumBores-1.jpg

I shoot 225 Nosler Partitions at a chronographed 2720 fps, and 250 Hornady Spitzers at 2560 fps.

I don't think there is another cartridge on the earth that has this kind of power with so little recoil, and both my loads shoot under .75" for 100 yd 3-shot groups, consistently.

Deja vu

I like my 38/357 magnum Marlins (I have two). I have taken many deer over the years with them. Most of the kills have been less than 100 yards but some of the kills (from wen I was younger and more wreak less) have been as far at 180 yards.

I have never lost a shot deer with the 357 magnum but you have to be willing to not take the shot. I frequently pass up shots that I think I would have taken had I been using a 30-06 or even a 45/70.

I see hunting with a small carbine such as the 357 similar to people who hunt with hand guns or black powder (I do both as well). They do it for the extra challenge and excitement of the hunt.

Now if you are looking for a big boomer to take elk and other large game I would recommend staying away from the 357 magnum rifle but if you are looking for a fun, cheep to shoot plinking gun that will do for game up to deer if you do your part, then the 357 magnum rifle may be just the thing.

243fanatic

WOW! I love 'em. My arsenal of 35's. (356 win=marlin lever, 358 win=rebarreled 760 rem, 35 whelen=rem classic, 35-284 wildcat built on a rem 600)probably the finest cartridge i've used,9 elk-2 moose-1 brownie:eek:) sold my 358 norma mag. (they cancelled mastadon season here in florida..lol)

Jim243

sold my 358 norma mag. (they cancelled mastadon season here in florida..lol)

Me I am just waiting for a T-Rex to show it's ugly head around here (LOL). And they said fishermen tell tall tails, Yah right. Hunter's rule.

Jim

Marlin 336C 35 Remington.

SAM_0319.jpg

Doyle

The .350 Rem Mag was an excellent caliber. Reasonably hard hitting without being too punishing to the shooter. Too bad it didn't catch on.

Quincunx

I've always been partial to my 94AE in .356 Winchester, topped with am old Weaver 1.5-4.5x. Whether with 200 or 250 grain factory loads (the latter no longer available, AFAIK, but I buy some from Gunbroker whenever I see a box or two of old stock on sale) or handloads with the Speer 220 grain flatnose, it's always worked well on deer for me. Recoil? A tad stiff compared to my .257 Roberts Model 70, but it's nowhere near the fear-inspiring shoulder-whacker that everyone who has never shot one tells me it is.

Crankylove

I like my .358 Winchester...........partly because its not so common as some of the other .35's.

Bought it for elk here in Utah, but have not had a chance to use it for that yet. But, I do know for a fact, that a 250 grain SP at 2,250 fps will do just fine on antelope.

oneoldsap

.35s Forever

I have two 35 Rems. , both are 141 Rems and a .358 Win. (760 Rem) . What I like about them is the accuracy , and ease of handloading , and their knock down power . I have built a couple of Whelens , and sold them both . The Whelen is a little more than I need , It kicks way harder than the .358 and only betters it by 100 FPS , at the expence of an additional 5+ grains of powder . The .35s just aren't fussy about what you feed them , they seem to digest any load I come up with well and accuratly . I like em alot !

dgludwig

200 grain Silvertips from my .358 Win. chambered Savage Model 99 work very well on Pa and Mi whitetails. They don't travel far when shot placement is in the ballpark.