tell me about the Single Six in .22

diginit

Make sure it is a Super Single Six. They have a factory hammer block installed. If you get an older one you can get one installed in case you drop the hammer unexpectedly. I very seldom use the 22 cylinder. The magnums are 6.99 a box of 50 here. I have a 6 1/2" barrel and can drop cans at 100 yds with it. Although my prefered distance in 25 yrds. Loading isn't a problem once you get used to it. I think a single action is as much fun as my kimber 1911. Here's something I made on a Hot day, out of boredom. It's not particularly good. But it will give you an idea of what I mean by fun.

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/diginit/?action=view&current=PlayinRnd.flv

CraigC

Make sure it is a Super Single Six. They have a factory hammer block installed.

Actually the Super Single Six designation came about when they put the adjustable rear sight on it, before the New Models in 1973. If you have an "Old Model", you only have to keep the hammer down on an empty chamber. Load one, skip one, load four, cock the hammer and let it down. Not only do the unconverted Old Models load and unload faster they also have a much better trigger.

diginit

I stand corrected. You're absolutely right. Either way get the hammer block if you don't want to shoot your foot on a draw. They have a strong hammer spring and you don't want a slip up. I don't know about the old model triggers, But this one has a hair. Very smooth and light. It may just be that it's a commerative model.
By the way..The blued models require alittle more care than the stainless. It just depends on you're preference.

kametc

If there is one gun I will never ever sell, it is my 5 1/2 inch single six. It's a 3 screw (read old) model that I bought with paper route money when I was 12. That was 36 years ago. Carried a hillion jillion miles and fired as many times. The gun looks like hell but it shoots like the first day. It's very accurate with magnums and I have shot it alot with them. I can reload it about twice as fast as my mark 1. I sent it to Ruger in 1982 and they installed the transfer bar system for free. They sent me back all of the original parts if I ever want to put them back in. Whats not to like?:D

Ken

Stainz

They have dropped the 'super' prefix for the adjustable sight model, so beware - a Single Six nowadays can be either way. My '50th Anniversary' SS of a few years back was a beauty - but hit nearly the same spot with either cylinder - left and way low - a la a Vaquero. Get the adjustable sight version - believe me. Mine, sadly, went bye-bye all too soon. I'm holding out for a new 4" 617 - maybe a 63.

I've shot several SS's & SSS's, as well. The MKII is still Ruger's most fun .22LR handgun to me. My KMK-678GC, with the fiber-optic sights or Weaver 2x28, is fun - just big and clunky (so is a 617!). The SS is a convenient size & heft, however. Perhaps a 4" .22LR SP101, if I could find one I could afford! The Bisley SS is nice, too.

Stainz

claymore1500

I have two of them, I keep one set up for magnum and the other set up for lr.

I shoot them about equal, but I must say that I prefer my blackhawk .357mag. and my s.b.h. .44mag for fun (I like the bigger bang)

Sarvisian

The Single-Six is a favorite gun of mine and I don't tire of shooting them. I've got three of them , two .32's and .22lr/mag and one or more goes along every time I go shooting.

I shoot the .22Mags a lot and really enjoy them, they give rimfire rifle performance from a handgun and that's a big improvement when hunting. The loud crack and actual recoil impulse is kind of fun as well.

JWT

Nothing about the Single Six that's not to like. Fun to shoot, simple to clean because you can easly remove the cylinder. Loading, unloading is not a problem at all. Can't go wrong with one.

22-rimfire

I think single actions are a bit slow to load and unload in 22 LR/22 WMR. Why? Because you're likely to be plinking more with it than with another handgun. I think you're better off buying a double action like the 617 as you dump your empties in one step. Loading is easier also. The single actions are fine however with center fire calibers as you tend to shoot less and take more time to shoot.

lockedcj7

Yes it's slower, but who cares? It keeps you from blasting away and teaches you to take your time. A blued 6" was the first handgun I ever owned and it's one that I'll never sell.

I've hunted with the LR and magnum cylinder and I even used it as a self-defense gun on a cross-country trip when I was so young and poor that I had to sleep in the car at interstate rest stops. It wasn't ideal but it was better than a pointy stick.

GET IT.

brif

I can rememebr shooting pops when I was a kid. It was always one of those guns that you say you will buy someday, yet you look back and wonder why you haven't yet. Very fun gun. Buy one. Now I need to take my own advice.