tell me about the Single Six in .22

porkskin

is this a fun gun? does reloading six rounds at a time single action style get old fast? how many use the magnum cylander often? This gun is freaking calling me and I want to know what is up with it. My other choice would be a S&W 617 but the cost is higher.

CajunBass

Yes, I think it's a fun gun.

No, loading and unloading doesn't get tiring to me. What's the rush to shoot up your ammo? Others disagree.

I've never used the magnum cylinder.

The 617 is probably a great gun too. I don't have one, but I do have a old Model 17 Smith and Wesson.

Get one of each. ;)

Kreyzhorse

is this a fun gun? does reloading six rounds at a time single action style get old fast? how many use the magnum cylander often?

This was my first handgun. Nice gun but reloading six single action style does get old quick. I'd pop the cylinder out and reload that way but that gets old too.

It was fun to shoot 22 mags out of though. No longer own the gun but I wish I still had it.

Would I suggest it? Its a good gun, but I'd go with a more functional DA revolver if I planned on shooting a lot of rounds through it.

Majic

First you must enjoy shooting single action revolvers and you will pay no mind to how long it takes to unload and load. Now if you want to empty the box of cartridges as fast as you can then stay away from single action revolvers. Some folks just don't have the patience to enjoy the finer things in life. :D
I only used the magnum cylinder for some hunting situations. I'm just too cheap to plink with ammo costing that much.

Mastrogiacomo

I don't consider loading a gun to be a race. If it's a beautiful day out and you're enjoying the company, why rush? I love my Single Six - makes me want to go out and get another single action Ruger...;)

HKFan9

It was the first gun I had ever shot back when I was around 8. They are a ton of fun. I found myself fighting over the same choice between a single six and SW 617. My local shop owner FINALLY decided to sell his S&W Model 17 k-22 .22lr so I happily took it home with me. To me its right between the single six and 617, specially price wise. I got mine with a little wear (that I think looks nice) for around 450. If you can find one I'd suggest you check those out.

If your sold on the Single Six, I hear a lot of people find great deals on them in Pawn shops usually. To me the 617 is nice, but over priced for a .22lr handgun. I'd rather have an old worn n torn model 17 with some personality.

Walther22lr

Yes, it is a very fun gun!:)
No, loading/unloading six does not get old. I have been doing that for about 20 years with this pistol.
I have used the Magnum cylinder quite often. Its fun to use on the long range steel targets at the range. Plus it cleans out the barrel nicely.:)
It is a great gun to use to teach someone new to shoot too.

CraigC

First you must enjoy shooting single action revolvers and you will pay no mind to how long it takes to unload and load. Now if you want to empty the box of cartridges as fast as you can then stay away from single action revolvers. Some folks just don't have the patience to enjoy the finer things in life.

Well put! Although I have to admit when I get going, a bulk pack of 550rds does not last long. With practice, you should be able to kick out the empties and reload it in 15 seconds. If you count the time it takes to load magazines, the single action is not as far behind as most people believe.

44 AMP

Staff
Fun to shoot and good training too!

When teaching beginners (especially the younger ones) to shoot handguns, I use the Ruger Single Six alot. Especially early on, as the (relatively) low rate of fire means they need to take their time and actually aim each shot.

Younger beginners have a strong tendancy to blaze away if you give them a semi auto, and go through a lot of ammo with little gain.

When they get good hits with the Ruger SA, on a regular basis, then they get to blaze away with a semi auto, as a "reward". The get the reward when I know they have learned how to use sight picture and trigger control.

I suppose some might think it tedious to load and unload a SA revolver, but for me it isn't. That's just how it works. I find muzzleloaders "tedious", after all, all that work for just one shot?

porkskin

thanks all, so more on the .22 mag cylander if anyone has info. Does anyone hunt small game with it? Does the 2 guns in 1 really ring true? Lastly, stainless or blue?

HKFan9

Personally I liked the Blued one's with a little wear. As for the .22 mag cylinder it works great. Used to hunt with my uncle when I was younger and he'd let me shoot squirrels (in small game season) with it. It was very fun. Honestly I think everyone should own a Ruger Single Six Convertible. The are just as useful as they are a ton of fun. Perfect for any inexperienced shooters who may want to accompany you to the range/woods to learn a thing or too. Its a great plinker, small game hunter, and learning tool.

stevieboy

I had a Single Six and I liked it a lot. It's a rugged gun and accurate, too. I sold it recently because my interests had changed (I'm very much into double action revolver shooting) and I needed the money to help finance my purchase of a 617.

If you want to shoot double action, the 617 is definitely the way to fly. It's a wonderful gun, incredibly accurate and built like a tank. The Single Six, obviously, being a single action revolver, isn't comparable. But, it has an advantage over the 617 in that it is convertible from .22 lr to .22 mag. I'd say that it's really a question of taste. Either way, you'll have lots of fun!!

joegator

I have a single -six and it is a fun gun. Mine has the polished stainless finish with fixed sights. I just put cocoplum grips on and it is a great looking gun. It is fun to shoot and always goes to the range with me. Having a single six extends your range time at almost no additional cost. I use the mag cylinder on occasion but for plinking its considerably more expensive so I use the long rifle cylinder most of the time. Considering the ballistcs of a .22 mag from a 6 inch barrel it really is two guns in one.

If you have the chance to own one go for it and you won't regret it. It will be a fun gun that you will shoot and enjoy on a regular basis, and no the single action doesn't get old at least for me.

My wife and I recently got "His-And-Hers" Single-Six's, she prefers longer barrels and I prefer shorter. We can shoot them for hours, its just so much fun and unloading and loading is relaxing...no racing here.

Also, we really like to fire 22Short CB's...sounds about like a pellet rifle. We have not used the Magnum cylinders in either one.
ruger-pair1.jpg

jamaica

Yes, the single six is a fun gun to shoot. IMO

I don't mind loading one at a time either. After a while you get real good at doing that and it doesn't take long.

Like others have said, I seldom shoot the 22 mags because of cost, but the gun is my truck gun and it is loaded with mags. When I go to shoot it I use 22 LR.

Now here is a true story: Four years ago my wife and I took a class to get our carry permits. We had to do some time at the range and shoot 25 rounds into a target at 7 yards. The instructor was grumbling when I told him I was going to shoot my single six. "You'll be holding up the group", he said. Ha, I was the first one done. You know what? You still have to load a clip one round at a time too.

My single six is getting some age on it. Purchased new in 1962 for $69.50. Of all the guns I own this one has fired more rounds than all the others put together. What a great gun. Your grandkids will get to shoot it. Mine have.

I enjoy the heck out of mine.
I have fired MANY thousands of rounds out of it.
I have owned several other Single Sixes before this one and shot the crap out of the other ones also.

FWIW: I also own two Model 17s as well as a 617 and would take the Single Six over them. I own a lot of .22s including a lot of .22 pistols. The cream of the crop is the Single Six BISLEY.

deputy tom

I bought mine used from a trusted dealer and it shoots LR and Mags equally well.I've heard that this is the exception to the rule.My S/S is the most enjoyable pistol to shoot that I have owned,and believe me I've had a few.YMMV.tom.:cool:

Last edited:

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
No, the Ruger Single-Six is not a pain in the a$$ too reload; especially if
one likes single-action style revolvers. I have a 6.5" barrel Single-Six,
and find it too be a very good training weapon for a newby~! I have
never even had the .22 magnum cylinder in the firearm; as shoot'in
.22LR is el'cheapo and fun too boot. :D

PS: I must add that I picked it up with the magnum cylinder ever so
slightly used (without box and docs) for only $200; and its the SS
model~!

sandbag

I have a long barrelled stainless version-I only use the magnum cylinder.I am not a huge fan of single action unloading-the loading part isn't too bad.It's a nice revolver,but I haven't shot much rimfire of late.

model18

ruger single six

They're a very good gun! It never gets old firing it. Loves mags, too!

RugerBisley.jpg

RUGERbisley22.jpg

My Single Six Bisley with the mag cyl. installed