Teflon Bullets

saltydog452

Bad memory maybe?

The 158 JHP Federal Ctg Co labeled 'Nyclad' was intended for safer indoor shooting with a steel back stop behind the paper target.

The idea was to prevent lead 'dust' as the soft swaged boolit hit the deflective steel back stop. The nylon coating prevented splatter dust, supposedly.

The low recoil and muzzle flash was a big attraction to the Officers who had to qualify with 'belly guns' and maybe were recoil/noise sensitive.

The reduced velocity/recoil/noise, no 'lead dust, soft lead, rapid expansion caught the attention of administrators.

Then, there was this rapid acceptance of semi-auto sidearms and ammunition interest specifically created for M-10 .38s didn't go far.

I buy it when I can. Although it isn't likely to go through an automobile door panel or slanted windscreen, its current replacement is in my Bride's Cobra.

The small arm vest penetrator cop killer mentioned earlier had a hardemed steel 'ring' that cut a cookie cutter channel. I think it was marketed as 'BAT', aka 'ballistic action trauma.' It was soon removed from distribution.

For civilians, it looked lto me like it'd make for a fun way to make a small dowel.

salty

Last edited:

Skans

So, is it prohibited for an individual to make his own bullets that can defeat body armor? Or are manufactures just prohibited from making and distributing these cartridges to civilians?

"The 158 JHP Federal Ctg Co labeled 'Nyclad' was intended for safer indoor shooting with a steel back stop behind the paper target."

Trivia for you.

Smith & Wesson was the original market developer of the NyClad cartridge. When they spun off their ammunition line in the 1970s or early 1980s, Federal bought this particular product.

royal barnes

My department issued the 125 grain Nyclad for use in off duty snubbies that were not rated for +p. I carried and qualified with them for several years in a Model 36 and an early Model 60. They are still available from LEO distributors in 50 round white boxes. I bought some last month for $21.99 per box. It's a good round for up close and personal. Old school but still effective.