Teflon Bullets

ChaseReynolds

Today I bought some .40 S&W that I saw in stock at Cabela's. I saw so much that I grabbed all I could and then some, well when I got home and read the box, it said, aluminum case, Full Teflon Jacket.

I would like to know if anyone has shot this and what they think. I was just going to plink with it anyways.

Providing basic information, such as the manufacturer, would go a LONG way in helping us figure out what you have.

Pictures of the box and the rounds would also be helpful.

BigD_in_FL

I saw so much that I grabbed all I could and then some,well when I got home and read the box, it said, aluminum case, Full Teflon Jacket.

And then folks wonder why the shortages and panic buying is still around.....:rolleyes:

And not even taking the time to know what you bought?

Sorry, but I find this completely irresponsible from so many angles...

Rant over

BuckRub

Most anytime you buy aluminum or steel casings they are very low quality. Just basically for plinking but if you bought them for that I guess that's all you need. I don't buy aluminum or steel.

Glenn E. Meyer

Evil Nyclads!!

Anyway - the Aluminum rounds - like Herters or Blazers have been reported to run just fine in most guns. I've use 9mm, 40 and 45s in many matches without a hitch.

Skans

I've got a couple of old boxes of 9mm Nyclads I purchased in 1984. I'm saving them until they are worth at least $100/round.:D

Gaerek

the KTW bullets had a teflon coating to help protect the barrel from the very hard bullet core

No, no, no. The teflon made the boolit travel through armor easier...like eggs sliding off my pan. :D

The teflon made the boolit travel through armor easier...like eggs sliding off my pan.
The media claimed that quite a bit back in the day. The irony is that those bullets will expand more aggressively, making them less likely to penetrate body armor.

Gaerek

The media claimed that quite a bit back in the day. The irony is that those bullets will expand more aggressively, making them less likely to penetrate body armor.

I know. :D

I just wanted to point out the absolute absurdity of the matter...you know, like those evil cop killing Black Talons (that looks almost identical to the LE Ranger T's and self defense SXTs....).

that looks almost identical to the LE Ranger T's and self defense SXTs.
Yep, but it has a different name and comes in a different box. As such, the bullets are less likely to (I kid you not) explode in the body.

ChaseReynolds

Sorry, I meant nylon jacket. Blazer ammo. Full nylon jacket. Irresponsible maybe, but I like to shoot a lot and I will grab as many as I can before someone else so I don't have to buy it at three times the price. I was at Cabela's with tons of people late Sunday afternoon. So there was no panic and I didn't encourage hoarding.

Gaerek

Yep, but it has a different name and comes in a different box. As such, the bullets are less likely to (I kid you not) explode in the body.

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that... :D

Oh, and most importantly, the bullets aren't black. That's what makes them explode.

RickB

I like to shoot a lot and I will grab as many as I can before someone else so I don't have to buy it at three times the price. I was at Cabela's with tons of people late Sunday afternoon. So there was no panic and I didn't encourage hoarding

Buying ammo in a quantity proportional to how much shooting you do is certainly not hoarding. I know people who have shot a thousand or more rounds a week, for years. If they go to the store and buy 1000 rounds, they're not hoarding. Someone who hasn't fired a round in ten years, but has 50,000 rounds in the garage? At the end of the day (year), they have each consumed the same number of rounds.

SOMEONE is, Herter's doesn't make anything - it is a marketing name only, like Charles Daly
Right. My mistake. The current Herter's is just a name slapped on some imported swill.

There once was an actual George Herter, and he was quite the huckster. His company was responsible for some interesting wildcat loadings like .401 Herter, and some of their rifle loadings were remarkable.

It threw us all for a loop when we started seeing that steel-case stuff with the name and logo a few years back.