Taurus (was: Guns kicked out)

shootniron

I was at one of my local gun shops this morning just looking around and sharing with them how pleased my son was with the AR that I had purchased from them for his Christmas. The shop was really busy so I looked around while waiting for it clear out. After all of the customers were out of the store, the owner told me he was kicking Taurus out of his shop effective immediately. As he was telling me this, he pointed to 3 Taurus autos on the bottom shelf of one of the pistol cases that were there awaiting RA numbers from Taurus. He said that it had gotten to the point that he kept about that many all of the time waiting to be returned and that Taurus would delay sending the numbers as long as they could. As a matter of fact, he said that he has not even be able to get them answer the phone this week. He has owned this shop for 25yrs and has sold many Taurus guns over the years but he said that the return rate on them had gotten to the point that he was afraid that it might start to affect his reputation and that he would not take anymore chances with that as he has worked too hard building that reputation to allow a gun company to tarnish it. He went on to say that Diamondback was on probation effective immediately because of the same type situation.

I know that I will be labeled a hater and basher for this post because Taurus builds great guns and they all run like clockwork.

LockedBreech

Hearing Taurus and Diamondback on blacklisted guns lists does not surprise me in the slightest. I've been to several shops that don't carry Taurus. I personally agree with that decision.

johnbt

"he has not even be able to get them answer the phone this week"

It's the week between Christmas and New Year's day. He'd only be talking to someone with so little seniority they couldn't get the day off to be home with the kids.

C0untZer0

The gun shops around here are chock full of Taurus.

The gun shops also accept Taurus as trade-ins.

I don't think any of the local gun shops have trouble moving Taurus products, if Taurus inventory piled up they wouldn't accept trade-ins.

I also saw a brand new DB9 on the shelf yesterday.

Evil Monkey

no surprise..........

of course there will be taurus pistols returned.

Their whole 45acp 24/7 series were defective from first generation to last. They blamed it on mags but after 3 generations of magazines, they were still having many failure to feeds. The feed ramps were too steep and the barrel centerline was to high. Taurus never fixed the real problem. Instead, they make them obsolete and went on to create the G2 with it's new set of problems.

It's ridiculous. They make more pistols than they can handle.

As of now they make......
berreta m92/96 copies
bobcat copies
millenium pro series
24/7 G2 series + compacts
pt900 series
pt800 series + compacts
tcp738
pt700 slim series
pt638
1911 series
the new pt2011 DTA series

and that's just the semi autos.....

Last edited:

Shadi Khalil

The gun shops around here are chock full of Taurus.

The gun shops also accept Taurus as trade-ins.

I don't think any of the local gun shops have trouble moving Taurus products, if Taurus inventory piled up they wouldn't accept trade-ins.

I also saw a brand new DB9 on the shelf yesterday.

It's not the first time I've heard of this happening. I can understand the choice not to sell them even if they did move off the shelves. Someone who doesn't know any better gets a bad pistol and says "so and so sold me a broken gun" not "Taurus sold my dealer a defective product".

mkk41

I know of a few shops that do not/will not stock Taurus , will not take them in trade , and will only order them if you pay in advance and agree if it's screwed up , YOU deal with it.

These shops will also NOT deal with Raven, Jennings , Davis , Hi-Point , or other cheap Straw Purchase Specials.

excelerater

Memphis's big local gun shop is LOADED and I mean LOADED with
Taurus - If there is a buck to be made the brand stays and Taurus is a
big seller everywhere..I suspect your local shop that Kicked out Taurus is
not telling you all there is to know..Dont let that gun snobbery and holyier
than thou attitude fool ya...He prolly just ran out of credit LOL

Prof Young

Inconsistent quality.

Shooters:

I have two Taurus revolvers and have had minimal trouble with one and no trouble with the other. BUT there is far too much anecdotal evidence in this forum and elsewhere to think that any anti-Taurs shooter is just being prejudiced. Clearly Taurus has serious quality control problems and serious customer service problems. Some Taurus owners "get lucky" and others "get trouble." Buying a Taurus is a gamble much more than buying some of the more expensive brands. Would I buy another? Maybe. Depends on the gun and the price. Which is true for any gun purchase I make.

Just saying'.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Evil Monkey

BUT there is far too much anecdotal evidence in this forum

Go to taurusarmed.net and see how many threads there are where people are sending in pistols for having problems in less than 1,000rds. Some as early as 200rds......

Jbar4Ranch

shootniron said:
... awaiting RA numbers from Taurus.

I send back a LOT of Taurus revolvers for warranty service, but in five years have only sent back one single autoloader, and that was for a slight problem with the front sight - nothing at all to do with function of the gun.

But the point of my post is, Taurus doesn't require a Return Authorization number, so, yes, your dealer could be waiting on one for a LONG, LONG time!

Sarge

I wouldn't mess with them if I ran a shop. I've reached a point where I hate to see them show up at qualifications. Had one on the range yesterday, a really slick little hammerless airweight .38, that glitched so bad the lad barely qualified with it. The fact that it shot about a foot high at 25 yards with 158's didn't help him any, either.

dajowi

The shops around here sell Taurus. But they won't take one in on trade. In fact when you buy it they'll tell you how great it is, if you try to sell it they'll tell you it's a piece of crap.

nate45

I'm going to add another 'its their poor quality control' vote.

In the last 5-6 years I owned five different ones. They all looked good and two of them actually were decent. So I believe the people who say they have a good one, but I also believe the people who have bad ones. I don't own any Taurus pistols now and don't plan on acquiring another one, the QC is just to hit and miss.

Jim March

I have had one bad go-around and will not ever trust my life to a Taurus.

I trust Ruger. S&W too of course but I think Ruger is often a better deal and easier for me to homebrew gunsmith, which I'm known to do :). Put another way: I'm willing to put some sweat equity into a Ruger trigger and do the final polish they sometimes skip to meet a price point. Ruger's fundamental designs, metallurgy and machining accuracy are all "good to great" and their customer service is well above average.

DMMikey

Taurus just seems to keep producing a ton of new models each year. That makes me wonder if they are bothering to do serious engineering and testing to find and fix any faults. Sounds like they should be spending more of the engineering budget on what they have instead of producing new stuff.

VINCENT1

i would send back every single taurus i own if i needed to, and never pay a penny. but ruger wants to charge me to repair my cylinder even though my gp100 is less then a year old,but i'm admitadly the second owner. the cylinder keeps locking up and has had issues since i bought it. propably why the origional owner sold it. i'll continue to own all the differing brands that i currently have, and i'm sure i will buy others, but i will ALWAYS contunue to buy taurus. most of the ones i own have never had an issue, and i dont trust any gun for CC until i have hundreds of rounds through it.

jeepster11

i have owned many

many taurus pistols and have never had an issue with any of them. i just recently bought a tcp 380 and i love it shoots great just like all the other pistols i have owned made by taurus, kimber, springfield and smith am i saying their perfect no but every manufacturer has issues sometimes. just my .02 but so far i havent had a taurus yet i wouldnt use for a carry gun if my life was on the line.

LockedBreech

Sounds like they should be spending more of the engineering budget on what they have instead of producing new stuff.

Why would they? They have a built-in market of people who will take the risk to save 50-150 bucks, and a community of diehard Taurus loyalists who deny there are any problems at all.

This year I helped two buddies get into shooting. They each had in the neighborhood of 350-400 to spend. At my urging, one got a Stoeger Cougar 8000 F and has had a great, quality, trouble-free gun. The other got a Taurus 24/7 against my urging and it's spent more time at Taurus than on his nightstand.

I'm happy for those with no-problem Tauri. I think the fundamentals of their designs are (usually) okay. It's the absurdly high level of glaring problems that slip through quality control that scares me away from the brand.