Taurus PT-22 Poly Quality control failed with pictures

Jagrbomb

E1trScb.jpg

9mm

@aarondhgraham, yes I have heard and I saw your review on it and it helped me to decide and buy it.

@Onward Allusion, the rifling has a tool mark in the barrel..

I got the email today saying it has arrived and should take up to 12 weeks..

sigxder

I stopped buying Taurus handguns long ago. The revolvers and Beretta clones were o.k.. The rest were auto's that worked out of the box half the time. And not the other half. Bought a PT22. Last Taurus I bought. Wouldn't work from the box. Sent it in for repair. I got it back weeks later. Took it out to shoot it. Would not fire. Dropped the mag and a metal part fell out with it. To hell with Taurus!

Cheapshooter

It was New in box, and you inspected it before purchasing?
It was an online purchase, and you didn't inspect it when you picked it up?
You are a FFL dealer, bought it online, or from a supplier shipped directly to you, and you did not clean and inspect it before you shot it?

Mike38

My Taurus PT22PLY must be in the good half of the 50/50. With CCI 40gr Mini Mags, it works flawlessly. I pocket carry mine daily. One thing I did find out, it likes a clean chamber. 30-40 rounds and failure to extract start popping up. But a quick brush with a 6mm bronze brush and it runs fine. This doesn't bother me too much, I have a $1200 .22cal. target pistol that does the same thing.

Cheapshooter

Both of my Taurus handguns have been accurate, and reliable. A Public Defender Poly, and relative to this thread, a reliable and extremely fun to shoot Poly22. My short list is finally dwindling down to two. One of which is a Taurus 992 22 lr/22 Magnum revolver.

jonfon10

I have dealt with Taurus costumer service twice. Once when I bought a heritage revolver(owned by Taurus) and they finish was coming right off as well as a tool mark in the cylinder. I did not see the tool mark until I got him because I did not pull the cylinder our of the gun in the store. That was my first mistake but the store sent it back for me and everything was perfect. The next time the costumer service was less then desirable. I had an 845 the went off when I hit the decocker at the range. They said nothing was wrong but on the work order showed that a piece of material or brass got in the mechanism and was cleaned out and fixed. Why lie and say nothing was wrong when their was a problem. I traded that gun for a pt92 which it a fun range gun. All in all they are hit or miss on service. I do like my PT22 but after about 300 rounds it starts having problem, which can be expected from a small 22 with no extractor. I do like my 65 revolver from them and I did like the pt111 g2 but have since traded it. They think outside of the box but can be hit or miss on quality and costumer service. I hope they end up treating you well.

Cheapshooter

They said nothing was wrong but on the work order showed that a piece of material or brass got in the mechanism and was cleaned out and fixed. Why lie and say nothing was wrong when their was a problem.
I seriously doubt that it was an intended lie. Just a difference in wording. To the person that wrote it nothing wrong meant nothing mechanically broaken. But the work order they found it needed to be detail cleaned. Was it the first time you had it to the range? Did you clean the gun before you tried it? Or had it been fired previously and not cleaned?
Maybe they should have said we found nothing wrong that a good cleaning didn't fix.

dwhite

I think Taurus is like Pro-Mag, if they were really as bad as people say they would have been out of business long ago.

I've got three and they are shot little. Good guns for the most part but I don't see them going 10,000 rounds without work.

My PT-22 has been great. Fun little shooter but, it needs to have the bore wire brushed after 50 rounds or it starts mis-feeding.

My 24/7 is an incredibly accurate gun. Nice trigger. Great ergonomics. Needed a firing pin spring and had to send it to Taurus. Shipped through a dealer it cost $12. They fixed it free and ended up covering the shipping both ways. Actually got this back in ten days too.

I've got a 709 Slim too. It's got 200 rounds through it without a problem. It's a carry gun so I'm in no hurry to wear it out. I take it to the range every now and then and put 25 or so rounds through it to stay proficient with it.

Their customer service has to be some of the worst in the industry. Aside from the one repair I had done. Calling them is usually a matter of an hour plus on hold. Their "restricted parts" policy is insane. That firing pin spring I had replaced. I took the old one out. Since it was a critical part in operation they would not send me one.

All the Best,
D. White

jonfon10

Cheapshooter, This was the forth or fifth trip to the range with about 600 round through the gun. I had cleaned it many time but all were field strip cleans and not detailed take down of the pistol. I think you are right not they were not trying to hide something just differing of wording. I know decockers are safetys and they can fail that is why I had the gun pointed down range. When I called from my understanding a small piece of brass case some how got into the mech causing it to malfunction and let the hammer fall and hit the firing pin. That is the explanation I received from them.

Cheapshooter

So they were technical correct in saying nothing was wrong. Meaning nothing in the gun broke. But I would be checking cases, and the extractor to see if it is still shredding brass. Or if it was just some sort of fluke.

hdwhit

9mm asked:
How did this leave the factory....

...the parts came from Brazil?

If you log on to the Taurus Owners Website (taurusarmed.net) you will get a pretty unvarnished look that what is going wrong withe Taurus pistols, how long it it taking to get the problems resolved and how successful are the resolutions.

After being an active member there for more than three years, I can report that 1) I have never had a problem with my Taurus pistol, 2) those that have, report generally responsive customer service (albeit with long hold times) and a return time of about five to six weeks, 3) if your pistol is affected by the drop-safe recall (yours is not), then your pistol will not be returned and you will be offered a modest discount on a replacement.

9mm

Great turn around time from Taurus, I'm excited and ready to shoot it again. They are sending me a second package, from Pa. I'm wondering if it's a free magazine? I heard Taurus is known for that.

PHOto too big..

Attachments

• taurusrepair.png
    taurusrepair.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Good to hear that they took care of you, hopefully they actually resolved the issue.

I have an older TP-22... I love the thing. I've been carrying it as one of my primary carry guns for years.

It's 100% reliable with Winchester Wildcat ammo.