taurus poll

What do you think of Taurus revolvers?

• They are quality, dependable revolvers

Votes: 174 75.7%
  • They are junk, get something else

Votes: 56 24.3%

• Total voters

meat

what is your averall opinion of taurus revolvers? i would like to know because i am intersted in getting a model 85 .38 special. any comments why you like or dislike would be appreciated. thanks.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Ya'll know how I voted, don't you?

I voted that the infamous Tauri's are junk; for all
consumer's to buy something else.:cool: :) :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

C.R.Sam

From what I have observed, Taurus quality.....fit, finish and function......has risen while S&W quality has fallen. Passing each other and now see Taurus as the better product.

Plus Taurus has resisted the government blackmail and refused to sign the agreement thereby helping to insure that Smith alone has sold out.

Taurus fights for our rights.....worth supporting.

Sam

Kentucky Rifle

Friends, this is an explosive question.

It's also a question with no definitive answer. Myself and two other e-friends on The Firing Line purchased the exact same models of Taurus snubs.
Theirs worked like "champs". Perfectly too, from the posts they've left. Mine was a different experience all together. (I won't go into the defects or the efforts of trying to get Taurus to live up to the "lifetime warrenty".) Just let it be said that MY pistol was a lemon. A "lemon" can be obtained occasionally from ANY manufacturer. After all, these things are "man-made" devices. (Ever buy a car, then have to take it back to the dealer over and over and...well, you get my point.) My own wife totes a Taurus Total Ti snub in .38 special +P. It is a wonderful pistol that has never had a malfunction during the more than two years which she has owned it. It's on her right now in a "concealment purse", and I feel grateful that it's there. We also have a 8 shot, .22 magnum Taurus revolver with a barrel about four inches long in stainless steel that has never had a problem. Just a wonderful and accurate shooter. (Adjustable sights, too!) However, my father in law purcased a Taurus PT-111 auto. Lemon again.
We can exchange information here, but flaming someone else's choice of firearms is a waste of time. Different people like different things. That is just the way it is. People see things differently!

Happy Holidays Everyone from Kentucky Rifle!

bkan

I have a model 85 38spl that I got used last year. It is ss. I have fired about 100 rounds at the range and find that it is a very good gun. I have no regrets about buy it.

Happy Holidays

Ben:)

Calamity Jane

I have a Taurus Tracker in .357 Magnum (stainless, not titanium), and I'm crazy about that little gun. Sturdy, great trigger, nice grips. It always goes "bang" when I want it to. :D

As Kentucky Rifle said, though, everyone likes different things, but I thought I'd fling in my .02!

Happy Holidays!

Arub

I have a M85UL and it functions well. On that basis I give Taurus a passing grade. No other experience with the Taurus line.

I also have a couple of Smiths, a model 60 and a model 686. I would have to be on drugs to equate Taurus quality of fit, finish, trigger pull and overall quality to that of Smith and Wesson. Politics aside, they still make a terrific traditioal wheel gun. Have no personal experience with their alloy revolvers and therefore will not comment or speculate on their quality.

Prodigalshooter

Calamity Jane, you eased my mind a bit with your comment, as I'm due to pick up a Tracker from my local purveyor a week from today. Some of the comments I've read about Taurus are SO strident, it was making me second guess my decision. But, I held that Tracker and dry fired it. It fit my hand perfectly, had a nice trigger, both single & DA. I also opted for stainless, gotta love having factory porting and not having to add it later!

treadhead

Have had the model 85, 445, and M44. Traded the 85 & 445....wish I hadn't. Still have the M44.
All of mine are/were great handguns.
Nice factory trigger, good workmanship, sturdy.

Would I buy another? You bet. ;)

carlosg

Got a 605 SS recently, quality could be better (action rattles like a baby rattle, parts not fitted properly), it works and shoots fine. Hope Taurus work the bugs out and achieves past S&W quality (at least it already surpassed the *&* current quality). Not sure I’ll get another Taurus.

Hand_Rifle_Guy

I voted in favor. I have a brand-new stainless .41 Tracker. Works good, accurate, relatively inexspensive for a new gun. I also have an archaic (for a Taurus) Model 82 .38 spl. 4". I call it my "sleeper" gun. I paid all of $99 for it, and it has the best D.A. trigger pull of all of my revolvers. It also is a tackdriver, easily able to munch soda cans at 40 yds. with cheap lead-bullet reloads. And it still does that after my brand-new kitten pee'd directly into the lockwork one night! A few new rust spots and an interesting smell did not even slow it down.

Hey, if it's cat-proof and accurate, what more do you need?;)

neal bloom

At first I really like the 605 my wife bought. Lately it has become troublesome. Seem to have a lot of problems witht the cyclinder binding. The other day at the range the screw which holds the cylinder in place fell out. Luckily it landed where she could see it. With all the problems with it I am starting to distrust it. I'll probably trade it for an SP101. Big difference in quality.

Friends of mine who own other models of Taurus have also experienced problems. Would I buy another Taurus? No.

Stephen Ewing

Got a '92 with about 30,000 rounds through it. No problems, unless you count the Millett sight that shot itself loose, or the barrel that must have been pushing .375 before I replaced it. Both problems came within the last 10,000, so I stand impressed.

Know many people with equally supported negative stories.

The only conclusion I can reach which meets all the facts I know is that Taurus QC is erratic. I can't vote for either choice given, as I feel that both/neither are equally accurate, and that Taurus is something of a crapshoot.

Steve

faraway

Taurus seems to make a good firearm. Quite happy with mine (7rd .357 heavy barrel) quite accurate to around 75yds or so with .357 not quite as good in .38, trigger pulls ok, finish not as pretty as a S+W, but oh well a few years of walkabout/holster wear, who cares. Like the frame size on the med frames, remarkable space engineering there. The hammer locks not a bad thing..don't use it though..might under some conditions. Only gripes..the grips need to be slightly narrower on the L side to clear a speedloader and a lanyard loop on the butt would be nice (really have no need for that...but grew up firing old S+W Victory models...so for old times nostalgia...

Derringer

I have the Total Titanium Spectrum Blue model 85 .38 Special. The gun shoots great no problems yet. Just bought some +P ammo to test out. My friend just bought the model 627 .357 total tracker stainless. The porting and grip take the bite out of .357 ammo however; use good muffs as the bang is a bit loud !!!!!!