Taurus 85

dahermit

Sure, Mr. Hermit, tho not sure why I have to justify an opinion to you or anybody else is not clear.
Because Mr. BikerBill, opinions are worth what they cost, whereas actual concrete examples are almost as good as experiencing it one's self. I should not expect people to care if I do not like rhubarb pie, should I?

In my experience, the stainless steel Taurus 85 that I bought new, is a better gun (needed no work on the very good trigger), than the S&W M36, that needed extensive smoothing, polishing, new springs, new wider no-striations (smooth), trigger, and still did not get the good trigger pull of the Taurus.

bikerbill

Well, there you go ... your experience, my experience ... we both put them out there, folks can read 'em, ignore 'em, etc.

have a nice day in the cave ...

Eagleks

When I was in China for work.... often there is not a price on something. I asked about it, and was told "whatever you pay" . Well, I quickly learned "bargaining " was not only typical, but people pride themselves in it.

Their philosophy is simple, if the two of you agree and both walk away happy, then it was a good deal.

mega twin

one thing to consider is that in a year,the tires will probably be worn out and worthless.
The gun,on the other hand due to inflation and such will be worth the same,or more.

graysmoke

The Taurus 85 is a good revolver....Although I prefer a Charter Arms Revolver. The older models are awesome little guns. Simply a better mechanics and metel. And there Made in USA.

1911Tuner

Taurus/Smith

I've had occasion to get into the lockwork of a few Taurus revolvers. I was...underwhelmed. They're adequate for their intended purpose, but they don't stack up to the older Smiths.

dahermit

I've had occasion to get into the lockwork of a few Taurus revolvers. I was...underwhelmed. They're adequate for their intended purpose, but they don't stack up to the older Smiths.
"underwhelmed"? Does that mean that the lock-work of Tauruses has rough machining marks, parting lines, pins bent, springs too heavy, etc.? Or, was different than a S&W? "underwhelmed", does not seem to pass on much useful information. Also, the post was about a Taurus 85, not "Taurus revolvers", in general. What exactly is wrong with a Taurus 85 revolver lock-work?
If they are, "... adequate for their intended purpose...", can not S&W 36's also be considered, adequate for their intended purpose? All I get from your post is that you do not like a Taurus 85, which is subjective, and we are left wondering if you expect us to take your word for it without presenting any factual details. If you prefer Huckleberry to Blueberry pie means nothing to anyone save yourself. The devil is in the details. What terrible truth did you find behind the side-plate of a Taurus 85?

Last edited:

lee n. field

one thing to consider is that in a year,the tires will probably be worn out and worthless.
The gun,on the other hand due to inflation and such will be worth the same,or more.

There is that. Assuming the gun is functional, it's going to last a long, long time. You'll pass it on to your presumably grateful heirs.

Tires are (expensive) consumable items.

Poodleshooter

Assuming the gun is functional, it's going to last a long, long time.
That would have been a bad assumption for my wife's Taurus 85. It worked ok...for a few years. I traded it away to a gunsmith after it developed intermittent timing problems that I couldn't troubleshoot. Got a nice S&W J frame for only a little more cash beyond the trade-in.

1911Tuner

re:

Underwhelmed...meaning that I wasn't at all impressed. It started when the sideplates fell off when I removed the screws and it went downhill from there.
Don't care much for that little rack and pinion thingie that times the hammer block, either. Looks like it was stamped out of pot metal. I could go on, but you seem to be a Taurus revolver fan...so I'll stop here.

The Taurus is an adequate lookalike Smith & Wesson. It'll serve its purpose. Once you get past the skin, that's pretty much where the resemblance ends.

fdreano

My Taurus 851 (the SA/DA version of the 85) was reasonably priced (bought used), handles well, shoots straight and has been phenomenally reliable.

Not sure what more you can ask for...

dahermit

If you are satisfied with your Taurus, as some of the recent posts imply, your are but a "Taurus lover", and your actual experiences with it are invalid. If you prefer a S&W however, you are a sophisticated connoisseur of fine guns who can voice subjective platitudes without detailed examples or particulars. :D My S.S. Taurus 85 came with a wide, smooth trigger that was light enough (not very heavy from the factory), and the rubber stocks that came with it fit my hand making it very shootable. On the other hand, a S&W 36 (serial number indicates 1982 mfg.-"new, kept in a sock.) came with a narrow grooved trigger, that was way too heavy to use as was, had rough hammer pin boss that was cutting into the steel of the hammer, had to polish, change springs (hammer and rebound), swapped out the trigger for wider, ground and polished the grooves off, removed burrs that rubbed on the trigger, although greatly improved, still ended up with a trigger that was not nearly as nice as the Taurus came with from the factory and needed no alteration or improvements.
As to the Taurus lock-work, if they wanted to copy S&W's, the patent has long ago run out...nothing would stop them. However, the lock-work has been redesigned and modernized (less friction points...no rebound slide, no side-plate slot-hammer block friction), resulting in a superb trigger pull compared to the early 1900's design of the S&W that must be polished, deburred, and tuned before it is useful, and then, it still is not as good.

Please do not call me a Taurus lover...I own but one taurus compared to three S&W's (currently). That makes me a S&W lover.

Last edited:

B.N.Real

"I am trying to sell some truck wheels and tires for my dad."

No,you cannot accept the Taurus in trade.

You will then owe your Dad $350 for the tires and wheels essentially paying $350 for a used Taurus Model 85 from a guy that will laugh at you when you say you need the wheels and tires back.

I own a Model 85 that I bought used in practically brand new shape from a gun shop for around $300 and I think it's a great handgun.

But this is about a duty to your Dad and Dad does'nt want you coming back with a used gun when he expects to see cash.

No-no gun-sell the wheels and tires for cash only-as much as you can get.

Thats what your Dad would expect you to do.

You can always buy a handgun later with your own money.