Taurus 85

Yung.gunr

So I am trying to sell some truck wheels and tires for my Dad and a guy offers to trade a Taurus 85 with a Fobus paddle holster. I was trying to sell the wheels and tires for $350. If the pistol is in good shape what do you think about the trade?

I know I know Taurus this and Taurus that. I have one, my uncle has one and we both love them. So from firsthand experience I like Taurus.

At Bud's it looks like they would go for like $420 and I see on GB they are going for about $280-$300.

I'm thinking with the holster it seems like a pretty good trade.

The only problem is I'm not a revolver guy so I don't know much about em. I'm reading the check out sticky and gonna take it with me to check it out.

Anything you can think of that I am missing? What are your thoughts on the trade itself?

Thanks a lot for your input because my Dad is looking to me to tell him if it's a good trade or not because he is not really into guns. He shoots the ones he has and that's the extent of his knowledge.

spaniel

I own two....I would not give them $350 credit on a trade. It's a used gun with a used holster. What you see advertised online are (usually overblown) asking prices, not what they are really worth.

9mm

Buds have new Taurus 85 for like $280(http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=31312) and other places like CDNN sports? I saw for like $265ish... IMO I take the cash and get the gun you wan

get a S&W J-Frame for about $50 more.
t.

S&W J frames here run $330~$360($400 at the gun show) + tax and Taurus 85's $320ish..

IMO I wouldn't want to buy a revolver used. I don't trust it, don't know if its out of time or what... Don't want the gun exploding in my face. I only trust autoloaders.

Yung.gunr

Wow thanks for your quick responses

I must have looked up the wrong gun on Buds. Thanks for posting the link and for everyone's input. The problem I'm running into is no one has cash that they are wanting/able to use so they are wanting to trade. I'm gonna see if he can put in $75-$100 cash and leave the ball in his court.

Kreyzhorse

Even with the extra cash I'm not sure it's worth it. If you must however, check out that gun very well before you do any thing.

As a former M85 owner, they seem to have a lot of problems with the cylinder binding up. Mine did and it seems like a fairly common problem. When the gun worked though, it did shoot well. Good luck.

Budda

I have a taurus 85, and I LOVE it....gun snobs turn up their noses all the time at them but they are a great gun. they are better made than a charter arms IMHO.

as far as a trade? I would do it plus a little cash.

Pahoo

Depends on who is hungrier

Going to sound a little strange but if you really want the 85, then it's a fair "trade". If not, then it's not a good trade and hold out for the money. If he would kick in some cash, then that is better. The 85's are good guns and Taurus has a bunch of them out there. Not too long ago, I considered selling mine for $225.00 and for legal reasons, the deal fell through.. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

JerryM

[I have a taurus 85, and I LOVE it....gun snobs turn up their noses all the time at them but they are a great gun. they are better made than a charter arms IMHO.]

Faint praise at best. I have owned two M 85s. One was a blue gun and had an external hammer. The other was SS with concealed hammer.
Since I wanted to use the guns iwb I did not want an external hammer so I sold that gun. It shot well, had a good trigger, and I liked it.

The SS CH got where it would not reliable fire the round. I used several factory rounds with the same results. To make it short I sent it back to the factory either two or three times with no correction. I then sent it to Actions by T. He worked on it, and did not repair it. In fairness to him he offered to do it over, but I was sick of the gun and wanted a replacement or my money refunded. It took over a year of communication including telephone calls to the US CEO. Everyone was nice but I had a lot of trouble getting it replaced.

Finally the they gave me a new gun which I promptly sold without using it. Taurus CS folks were nice and never gave me a problem except they could not fix the gun. I believe I was a victim of tolerances.
However, guess who would not own a Taurus again? ME!

Life is too short to fool with substandard guns.
I will only buy Ruger or S&W revolvers. If that is Taurus bashing or snobbery then count me one.
Jerry

excelerater

Taurus 85 was my first wheel gun,,,,,,,,,it ran well,I got it cheap shot the **** out of it and sold it off for what I paid......its not a bad piece .

dahermit

The Taurus 85 is an ok gun. The newer ones have stiff triggers, thin finishes, & sharp edges. They work, though. Seriously...and this is coming from someone with half a dozen Taurus revolvers...get a S&W J-Frame for about $50 more.
I have both. Prefer the Taurus. It came with a better trigger, wider sights (front and groove rear), and very good rubber grips. I did not have to do anything to it. The S&W 36, had a very heavy trigger pull, too narrow, had to do extensive work on the rough insides to get it anywhere near as smooth as the Taurus. Despite the work I did on it (I have some of the best S&W triggers you can imagine...on other models.), it still is not as good as the trigger that came on the Taurus. Of the two, the Taurus is better in every way...except in people's perception.

Budda

Well said. The blue job on my taurus 85 is as good as any S&W I have seen. trigger is as Smooth as any S&W i have seen....It goes bang like any other. And it cost half as much.....

So Do you know the difference between My 85 and a S&W snub?

I still have $300 in my pocket......

Onward Allusion

And it cost half as much.....

Jetguns.com - inclds shipping
SS S&W 637 $343
SS Taurus 85 $318

Budsgunshop.com - inclds shipping
SS S&W 637 $361
SS Taurus 85 $286

Gunbroker - tack on shipping
SS S&W 637 ~ $350 to $370 all day long
SS Taurus 85 ~ $280 to $300 all day long

bikerbill

I've had an 85 for years, and it has been stone reliable since day 1.

That said, I wouldn't pay anywhere near $300 for it, holster or not. Maybe $150 if it's in excellent condition. And ... I'd rather have a used Smith than a used Taurus, any day of the week.

I did have binding problems with a Taurus 617, but I loved the size and capacity -- 7 rds of .357 -- so I spent $85 with a good 'smith who cleaned up the trigger and opened the cylinder-barrel gap. Great gun now, love shooting it.

dahermit

... I'd rather have a used Smith than a used Taurus, any day of the week.
You going to leave it with a throw-away statement of opinion, or are you going to give a rationale why? Some of us are waiting with baited breath. Explain please, why the Smith is "better".

bikerbill

Sure, Mr. Hermit, tho not sure why I have to justify an opinion to you or anybody else is not clear. I own two Taurus revolvers and two Smiths. My Taurus 85, as mentioned, has been pretty much golden since new, but my Smith 637 is more accurate, has a far smoother stock trigger and in general, for me, is a lot more fun to shoot. I also have a 686+ and a Taurus 617, both 7-shot .357 magnums. The Smith has been perfect since day one, probably the one gun in my collection I would never sell, accurate as I am, wonderful trigger, everything feels like it's on ball bearings. The 617 cost $85 to cure a barrel-cylinder gap issue and take the sand out of the trigger action. It's a fun gun to shoot now, but I'd pay the extra money for the Smith every time.

My opinion, based on MY experience.

OK?

Eagleks

your problem may be.... not everyone is going to like or want those rims and tires. Not everyone needs rims or may like the one's you are selling with the tires. So, that may require 2 sales.

I'ld trade if he would put the $75-$100 with it.

If you decide you want the S&W, see a dealer (shop) or a dealer at a gun show and tell him ... you'll trade him the 85 and give him $100, and you'll have one.

The Taurus 85 & 605 have been reliable and good guns.

thebaldguy

I picked up a barely used Model 85 for just under $200 a few years ago. It is a great snubbie and actually has a very nice fit and finish. Maybe the Taurus and some cash for the wheels/tires?

mrray13

As others have said, trade value isn't retail/personal sale value. It's generally in the 50-65% range of the gun's actual value. Every now and again, one gets lucky though.

IMHO, I agree with those who say take the 85 and about $75-100. Of course, a gun is better then wheels and tires not being used, lol.

Just recently I traded a 16gig 1st generation iPad for a Taurus 66, in 6" and 7 shot, with ammo and a holster. The iPad, like mine was, are going for around $370ish new in box, that same model Taurus around the same for new/used. I got $350 trade in on the Taurus, which "bought" me the LNIB 642, and got me $25 cash. My feelings weren't hurt because I got what I wanted.

If you can't honestly say you got, in YOUR opinion, fair market value, then no trade is worth it.