Taurus 85 .38 snub VS S&W snubs

gogetumnow

I've owned an 85 Stainless for a couple of years now. I love the gun althought it got off to a rocky start. I had a problem with the timing being too slow. If you did a nice slow smooth double action pull it wouldn't fully lock up and the primer would be hit right on the edge and wouldn't ignite. If you did a fast DA pull the momentum of the cylinder would allow it to lock up just fine.

I ended up sending back to Taurus (Overnight =$40), And they fixed it and sent it back. Well, they fixed the slow timing problem but gave me another problem, the DA trigger had a hang up in it. Not just a small hang up but half way through the pull you'd have to give about about 3-4 pounds extra to get it off this hangup and then it would fire ok. Eventually this drove me mad and I sent it back to them again (Overnight=$40) and they fixed the problem.

Now it's a real sweet shooting snub and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I guess the lesson here is inspect your Taurus very well before buying. It was the first revolver I ever bought so I really didn't pay attention to it.

I've also handled 2 Stainless Trackers in 357 at the store that you could easily move the cylinder out of lockup by turning it by hand. It was like the bolt stops weren't cut right or the bolt was misaligned. I guess everybody makes a few lemons, just inspect everything multiple times before you plunk your money down.

22lovr

Got one of each

Grapeshot: I have a Taurus M85 Ultralite and a Smith Mod 638 Bodyguard. honestly, with my eyes closed, I can scarcely tell them apart in feel and trigger. I think Taurus has improved the quality of especially their revolvers. The M85 is a little more comfortable to shoot because it weighs a scant more and the wrap-around rubber grips are superb for a small gun. I'd buy with confidence and think Taurus is a good choice for the money. I got the Smith for carry because I like the shrouded hammer and lighter weight in the pocket. The Taurus is a home-defense piece and for just plain plinking fun.

Arub

I have both a Taurus M85UL and a Smith model 60. They are both about equal in the trigger pull and smoothness deapartment and accuracy is on a par. Had a minor problem, when new, with the Smith (spitting lead). Sent it back to Smith, turn around and quality of repairs were excellent (from drop off at FEDEX to back at my door in 7 or 8 days). The M85 is a little easier to conceal, grip is shorter, doesn't protrude as much as the Smith.

Just a note on Taurus. I picked up one of their .22s the other day. Appeared to be a M85UL frame equivalent. Wouldn't stay cocked on a consistent basis. When pulling the hammer back, it wouldn't catch each time. This would result in ADs if it were loaded.

Grapeshot

I have had problems with the last Taurus and Smith revolvers I owned.

The last Taurus was a M94 9-shot .22 which functioned pretty well but must've had a 300-pound DA pull. I didn't mind it much though, since the SA pull was an ironic 1.5 - 2 pounds, so I just used that. It was a surprisingly accurate gun though. However, one strange quality about it was that when you cocked the hammer for an SA shot, the rubber grip actually prevented it from going back as far as it needed to so as to stay back, so I was always afraid it wouldn't stick and I'd have an AD. It worked fine though, and I grew to like the little gun for the money I had in it. I had to sell it for Christmas presents though.

My 638 seemed a much higher-quality gun. However, one day the little pin just forward of the ejector rod worked out and caused a total malf. during a DA string, and right then and there I lost all confidence in the weapon. It was an easy repair, but I took it as a sign and sold it for a profit, since I found it difficult to hit fast with anyway. It made me kind of hesitant to buy another Smith snubby, since jamming is about the worst you can expect from any rev.

mini14jac

My wife has a S&W Airweight, with a very smooth trigger.
It is about 2 years old, and she loves it.

I had a Taurus 85UL, and I would recommend one highly.
I would like to get another one someday.
Accurate, good trigger, and easier to shoot than the Smith.
(The Taurus trigger is not as good, but it is a couple of ounces heavier, and the grips cover the backstrap. Big difference.)

If you find a good deal on a used one, jump on it.
Taurus told me that their lifetime warranty is on the guns, not the original owner.

SgtGunner

OK Light, you are slippin.............turned down a chance to post your pic???? well I finally got mine so I will post it ..heh

by the way..........the 85 series is excellent

Attachments

• tauri85s.jpg
    tauri85s.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 111

Greybeard

Grapeshot - In scanning your thread I noticed that current budget could be a problem and might suggest trying some slightly bigger grips on the 638. I changed out grips on 340 and it had an immediate impact on felt recoil.

I too have a (relatively new) 638 and have been seriously contemplating selling as it is too painful for 75% of female shooters. ' Will be trying some bigger grips on 638 if I still have it around in a couple of weeks.

I owned a ported Taurus 85 for several months and it did not seem to have the nicer trigger of S&W 342 of 1999 mfgr. date. The man who bought Taurus seems quite pleased with it ... My primary reason for selling the Taurus was that the extra few ounces of weight and slightly larger size than 342 was definitely noticeable to me in ankle carry or IWB on draw string shorts ...

Then, you mentioned a Rossi ! I, by the way, recently purchased an older Rossi because it was just "too purdy to pass up" for the price. (' Began a new thread regarding it a few minutes ago). It weighs apprx. 24 ounces, has bigger softer grips and should not deliver the pain that goes with the 638 discussed above ... Good luck with the choices!

Grapeshot

Thanks for the grip idea, Greybeard.

I'll check out your other thread, too.

However, I sold my 638 a while back after a catastrophic malfunction occurred (the little pin in front of the ejector rod fell out). I just wasn't confident in it anymore and couldn't appreciate the light weight as much as somebody else could.

Thanks for thinking of me though!

Oh, and Tubeshooter, I'll do just that when I get to wring out my new Rossi. One review, comin' up.