Taurus 85 .38 snub VS S&W snubs

Grapeshot

Ok, I know I'm going to "get what I pay for" probably, but I'm looking hard at a Model 85 because the price is just sooo right.

I'm wanting something for pocket carry, and while I liked my 638, I finally gave it up since it was a little difficult for me to make follow-up shots with (too light). I know the 85 is heavier, being all steel, and I'm hoping it will still be light enough for jeans carry.

Now, if my finances were ideal, I'd be looking more at S&W or Ruger, since I believe (based on owning their snubs in the past) that they would be more accurate, and thus fun to play with outside of combat shooting.

So, does anybody own a model 85 AND a Smith snubby for a comparison?

I'm worried mainly about the 85's durability - I don't want to have to use that warranty if I can help it.

Lightsped

I have been 100% satsified with my two Taurus M85s. I have a Stainless steel model, and a Total Titanium model. People that have shot mine have remarked about how they like the Taurus grips, and the trigger feel. M85s can sell for 250.00 on up to 450.00 or higher. It just depends on your weight requirements and wallet.

pinetree

I don't meet the requirement for your question, but since no one else has replied, I'll give it a shot.

I own an M85UL, I know you want the heavy version. I have had no problems the past 3 years with this great little gun. I rides on my hip w/snakeshot at the property when I cutting timber or busing hogging. I though it in my tackle box or in my pack while hunting. In town, it goes in my waist band loaded with +P Hydrashocks. It sleeps in my wives nightstand because she thinks it is hers.

I've put close to 500 rounds through it with no problems. Mostly Georgia Arms 38spcl LSWC. Yesterday at the range I had no problem shooting steel plates at 10 yards, 5 for 5 every time at a quick pace. The double action trigger was better then my Smith 629 until I got the trigger down last week. I've heard nightmares about the new Smiths but this could be a bunch of negative hype. My next pistol though, will probably be a Taurus Tracker.

Regards,
tjg

Grapeshot

Thanks guys!

Mighty encouraging words.

I might just check out the Tauri after all then. I'm still trying to decide which one I want though, since the two on sale are the plain-jane heavy blued 85 and the 85 UL (but no porting!). There's only about $25 difference in the models, and I'd just get the UL version if I thought the gun wouldn't kick me too bad. I know I should try the heavy version for recoil control, but then it would be like carrying a brick in my pocket compared to that nifty aluminum frame. Decisions, decisions.

I had also been considering a blued .357 CIA, but it seems just a little outa my dirt-cheap price range. While I'd like to spend a lot on a snubby, I have this theory that since it's such a close-range weapon anyway, there won't be much practical difference in accuracy between the brands anyway.

I could be wrong though. But thanks for responding!

SouthpawShootr

I have a Smith 640, Taurus 650, and Taurus 85Ti. My first carry gun was a plain jane 85 blued. This gun was exceptional. It was reasonably accurate (hey, it's a snub nose). Unfortunately, I traded it for a Browning (wish I hadn't). I whole-heartedly recommend it. My experience has been that Smith and Taurus revolvers of recent manufacture are equivalent in quality. Taurus, I believe, is a better value. Look around, though. I recently got my Taurus 650 stainless for $280 at a gunshow.

J.R. Bob Dobbs

I've had several Tauri; each have been fine guns. I've had an 85, a tracker, and my newest is a stainless 650, the hammerless 357. Tons of recoil, but with a very nice trigger, and amazingly accurate for what it is. I also paid $280 at auction for mine; it's only real competition is the S&W 640, about $200 more and with a rougher trigger IMHO.

dragon1965

I have the Taurus M85 blued version...very happy with it

I used to own the M85UL...traded it for a S&W .40 which my son thought he wanted...have since traded the S&W away (for a Stoeger Uplander double barrel !!!! ) and I really wish I still had the M85UL instead of the blued version...as far as I am concerned they fired the same just the UL was sooooo much lighter

(Really happy with the Stoeger tho)

Get the UL

Snowdog

My first carry gun was a blued Taurus M85, and it was always loaded with Winchester 158gr SWCHP+Ps. It's a great combination.

I never had any problems with any of my Taurus products and the M85 holds a special place in my heart.

IMHO, you can pay more, but you won't receive any better performance than what you'd get with a steel M85.

Jim March

I'm not sure I'd trust a small J-class Taurus to handle lots of .357, but then again you CAN'T shoot lots of .357 through an S&W Scandium gun...S&W has gone flat-out insane in the light weight department.

From everything I've heard, a small steel Taurus will handle all the .38/.38+P you can dish out. I'd use the "revolver checkout procedure" to make sure you've got one with a fair gap in the .004 - .005 range if possible, no more than .006, and that the cylinder bores are lining up OK, and that the lockup is reasonably tight (although the design calls for a little bit of normal rotational slop, front-back movement should be very small at worst).

The checkout procedure is now in the TFL library, link at top of page.

As long as the trigger on your specimen is fair and it otherwise checks out, the 85 will serve you just fine.

(Note: I'd perform these checks on ANY gun I buy, 'cept for maybe a Freedom Arms - I'd trust one of those sight unseen mailorder, more or less nothing else.)

C.R.Sam

Jim said "(Note: I'd perform these checks on ANY gun I buy, 'cept for maybe a Freedom Arms - I'd trust one of those sight unseen mailorder, more or less nothing else.)"

I concurr.

Nuther thought, lot of good steel guns out there for under $300 used.

Sam

Hutch

I'm with Sam on this one. For cheap, find a used Chief's Special, a model 36 or a 60. Same basic config as the 638, but with "more road-hugging weight".

asleepinTucson

My plane jane 85 blued is 1998 vintage and goes with me when the bigger weapons can't be concealed well.

It has performed well. My measure of accuracy for a snubby for personal protection is two to CM and one to the head at 30 feet. My Taurus snubby does that without a blink. I am satisfied with its trigger, lockup and overall performance. I have heard negative feedback about the Taurus polymer semiautos but the revolvers seem to be a good dependable value.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Grapeshot, My Friend,

Probably won't be of much help either; but I do own a vintage
Smith & Wesson model 60 (Chief's Special in .38 caliber). It
weigh's in at 19 ozs. unloaded; and is a perfect "fit" for me.
Our friend's Sam and Hutch are right; as this particular Smith
product should remain a "fan favorite" for a long time.

But, I did recently check out a .357 magnum Taurus 605 with
the 2.25" barrel. Please read my overall review in this thread
addressed: "Tamara: I finally did it"!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

gbelleh

Another happy Taurus 85 owner!

I just bought a Taurus 85 UL stainless/aluminum a couple weeks ago. I couldn't be more pleased with it. My friend recently bought a S&W 342 (10.8 oz IIRC) The Taurus UL is 17 oz IIRC. We shot them side by side last week and both performed equally well, but the Taurus was half the price!

Will Beararms

I started with a Taurus Model 85 Snub in the early 90's that had medocre accuracy. I have a 3" 605 that is my wife's gun. It's pretty dogone acccurate.

I recently got Smith Model 60 Snub that had timing issues from the get/go. These issues were resolved in 8 business days (There's a factory-authorized warranty center near my home). What I have now is nothing less than sublime pleasure. The thing was accurate as heck even when it was shaving lead. Now the thing is very accurate and joy to shoot with the precise timing and very smooth trigger.

Nothing is worse than a Smith that's not working. Likewise, nothing is better than one that performs. I really like the newly designed star. Mine was bumpy at first on ejection but after 150 rounds I have now have what we call positive ejection anytime, everytime.

I loooked at a Taurus 85 UL NIB before going with the S&W. There was no bluing on the front of the cylinder and the star looked like it had been sramped from a piece of sheet metal.

I am totally satisfied with the Model 60 after raising much cain on this very board and would suggest the Model 60 to any one. The new 60's with the laser etchings on the barrels are asthetically appealing imho.

tubeshooter

Yet another 85er here (blue steel), wanted to give my $0.02....

I'm very interested in what's been said so far, and what others may have to add. I've got the opposite situation; I'm kind of interested in the lighter gun for easier carry.

But I don't know; I'm worried a little about durability, and my current 85 has performed flawlessly and is already proven, whereas getting something else (new or used) is a bit of a crapshoot. Not sure I want to do it for basically the same gun I already own.

Anyway, I don't think the durability of an all-steel 85 would be an issue, especially if you use light rounds for practice.

It's not going to "pocket" nearly as well, though, at least not without a pocket holster. The extra weight causes the gun to slump & print too much. You may very well find youself wishing for the 638 back (or something else light) down the road.

Good luck...

-tubeshooter

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Current production? Six of one, half dozen of the other.

In the last year or so, Taurus has gone to a lighter mainspring on their small-frame guns and apparently juggled the lockwork somewhat. My 731UL's factory stock trigger is lighter and smoother than my Performance Center-tuned 640.

The J-frame has always been the redheaded stepchild of the *&* lineup, being a coil-sprung gun in a lineup that otherwise entirely uses leaf-type mainsprings. I truthfully think it hasn't recieved half the attention to development it should in Springfield, since they view it as a budget-priced necessity in their lineup, where Taurus sees the small frame as their bread & butter.

Now if you were going to track down an older J-frame, the fit and finish of a sweetly blued, pinned barrel 36 might make living with a slightly heavier trigger pull tolerable, and Wolff springs and a skilled gunsmith can help a lot. (This is coming from someone who has had trigger jobs done on two Performance Center guns; I'm damned finicky about the triggers on my wheelguns).

chaim

I have a Smith "snub" but it is a K-frame and not a J-frame so it isn't quite equivilent but I CAN comment on the quality of the two revolvers.

My Smith is a very sweet gun. Very accurate (it has a 3" HB), very comfortable with most .357 loadings, nice trigger (I really loved the trigger until I got the Taurus 605 which is that much better) and a very solid feeling revolver. Also, it is the S&W 65LS and I think the Ladysmith versions of Smith revolvers have slightly better triggers and actions and they are some of the nicest looking modern revolvers out there.

My Taurus 605 is a very good gun. I've only had it about a month and a half but I have put over 500 rounds through it (including almost 100, comparatively weak, .357s). The trigger is better than I've felt on any revolver. The DA trigger is better than the DA trigger on any of my autos and the SA is close to my 1911 and about the same as my CZ. Quality seems great, though it may not be quite as solid in feel as a S&W (though in practice it is probably just as or more reliable). I have found that I am not a big small snub fan and it isn't nearly as comfortable as I'd like but I have simply switched to shooting it less.

I also used to have a 10yo used Taurus 82. It wasn't perfect (the trigger could have been a little better) but it was a very good gun. I am thinking about replacing it before too long. While it too was a good gun Taurus has greatly improved to close to, if not, great.

Grapeshot

From the bottom of my heart,

Thank you, fellow TFL'ers! I VERY much appreciate your many responses.

It sounds like the M85 is a pretty darned good buy. As for a Smith, I've done some more budgeting and paying bills and realized that I really just can't afford a new Smith like I thought I could. I'd love a used one, but alas, there aren't many such critters in my locale and I've been burned by some police trade-ins that didn't work.

I was kinda bummed that I could only afford a Taurus - but then I went to the gunshop to look at one. I'd like to say I found a great one that I fell in love with, but they had nary a Tauri there.

Instead, they had one of the new Rossi (Braztech/Taurus/whatever) Stainless .357's there. I may be completely nuts for saying this, but I actually liked it much better than the last Taurus 85 I looked at.

Actually, "liked" is not accurate. It sent me swooning! Here was a gun that had everything I wanted in a snubby - sortof a Dick Special-sized SIX-SHOT with glossy-bright finish (I like pimp guns) and Smith-and-Wesson-ish looks. The specimen I looked at had a great trigger and locked up quite well, although the cylinder had a little play when the trigger wasn't being pulled.

And at a price $20 less than the blued M85 I was wanting.

So, what's the catch? This is just too good to be true! Do the R462 Rossi's (new gun complete w/ Taurus locking device) hold up well? If I thought the darned thing was as good as the 85 I'd just buy it in a heartbeat.

Sorry to muddy the waters, guys!

I'll post a new thread asking about the Rossi to eliminate confusion on this one. Thanks again!

hankrearden2000

I've been shooting my stainless all-steel model 85 alongside two J-Frames for nearly seven years now. I have no complaints. The newer model 85s that I have handled have actions everybit as good as a j-frame's. The Taurus rubber boot grip that most now come from the factory wearing is the best of the lot for these types of guns.