Tattoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavid2002

I'm pretty sure I want to get a tattoo on my arm. I want it to be something gun related. But I cant think of anything I really want....

*Will a tattoo interfere with me going into OCS after college? I know tattoos disqualified a lot of people who applied for the service academies.

*What do you think I should get?

Ive considered the boltface logo....

-Dave

KevinBeyerJr

I have 3 tattoos, all not visible when wearing a shirt, yet like guns once you get the first it most likely won't be your last. I know that in the service as well as most jobs as long as you don't have a tattoo showing when you put on a collared short sleeve shirt, it won't affect your chances of getting the job. I knew someone in the Navy who got a full "sleeve" (a tattoo all the way down to his wrist) while at his present command and when it came time to pick orders for his next command, his choices were very limited. I don't see anything wrong with tattoos, each has an interesting story or two related to it, but though they are more popular in this day and age, people are still very quick to judge and disqualify you from certain jobs.

When it comes to what you want to get, I would rather not help you there. All I will say is that once you think that you have decided what to get, brew on it for a week or two (two preferably). Because once you get it done, it is permanent or very expensive. If you are iffy about getting a tattoo, there are other options like Freedom-2 Ink, which is easier to remove than traditional ink.
http://www.squidoo.com/freedom2tattooink

Lavid2002

Sick....Yeah I know I want a tatoo now. But I also know im going to not want it when im like 40....

Ill keep thinking ...

Mira

I agree, I had an ugly band done back in the 80's and I regreted it ever since. I had it covered and really wished I had put more thought into it before hand. Keeping it above bicep is a good idea.

mira

scorpion_tyr

Will a tattoo interfere with me going into OCS after college? I know tattoos disqualified a lot of people who applied for the service academies.

That depends on what you get, how big it is and where you get it. Anything gang related or anything that has any sort of graphic nudity, racist, or other discriminating stuff in it will either have to be removed or covered up. Be careful what kind of tatoo you get, especially if it has a firearm in it, they could very well believe it's gang related and not let you in.

Talk to an officer recruiter for the branch you are considering as each has different regulations on inkwork, and also understand that those regs may change before you finish all the paperwork, so something that may be good today may not be good a few months from now.

Lavid2002

Yeah ill keep thinkin about it. Maybe the boltface symbol right on the shoulder?

Ill get a friend so sketch somethin up

Uncle Buck

Lavid, Please wait on the tattoo until you finish OCS.

After a night of drunken boyhood fun, I woke up with a tattoo. It is able to be covered by a t-shirt and the only way you know it is there is if I am shirtless or tell you. That one night of indiscretion closed a few doors on me that I had worked towards. What do you want to do after the military?

I do know a few officers with tattoos and they have had no problems. We have a few retired military officers here on the board and maybe they will be able to chime in.

blume357

Some of may best friends have tattoos ....

with that said, I fear most tattoos for years were and indication of someone getting just a little too wasted and not being in their right mind.

Not sure if that is the case now...

I would think about it long and hard.

rattletrap1970

No offense Uncle Buck, but, if you are a good man and you are trained, competent and capable of doing a job well. Perhaps better than most and you are passed by because of a tattoo. I wouldn't WANT to work for a place that would do that.

skydiver3346

Hi rattletrap1970:

As you say, (no offense) but Uncle Buck gives very good advice here.

I just had a good friend of mine almost get turned down by the Army because of tatoos (and none were gang or drug related). He was going in as an enlisted man, not an officer. You have the rest of your life to get a tatoo so maybe Lavid should wait until he gets through OCS, etc and then decide if he wants to get one. Take that question out of the equation in the first place. By the way, we are a society of people that are first impressionsts. How is someone supposed to know if you are trained, competent and capable of doing a good job just by looking at you anyway? The tatoo may or may not sway a decision one way or another.
I understand what you are saying but the best advice to Lavid is to get his OCS out of the way and move on before worrying about "having to get a tatoo"... Just my opinion!

rattletrap1970

Understood. I am guilty of first impressionism too. There have been people I've seen and though, "Oh Jeezus look at this one." But upon meeting them said, "Damn, I totally called that wrong." It would be nice to see those misconceptions disappear someday. I see young chefs on TV and they have "sleeves" and at first I think holy crap and he's a chef. But then he talks about cooking and such and is very knowledgeable and professional. I say to my self then, nice to see that level of individuality is becoming mainstream.

Maromero

Ask yourself why do you want a tatto. To express your feelings?. To express an emotion, to express your interests? To inform evertone of what? B/c it's cool, hip, you like it? If you don't want one when your 40 you don't want one at all!

Tatoos are not for everyone.

KMO

Unless you're headed into the NBA or something, think again on it. Chances are, you won't like it after time has passed, and you'll never really know if that blown job interview or lost opportunity might have been the result of offending someone. Be different...scrap the idea.

Skans

Personally, I'm not into tats. Here are my reasons:

1. I don't like to advertise who I am, what I like, my hobbies, my hates, my loves, my girlfriend, wife, kid's name, etc. In this age where nothing is private, at least my thoughts and feelings are, unless I decide to divulge them.

2. I feel that the human body is a work of art in and of itself - I'm much better off spending my time and money making it stronger and healthier than printing cheap billboards on myself.

3. Most folks don't like "billboards" on their guns....why do they like them on their bodies?

5. Tastes change. Girlfriends change. Hobbies change. Likes and disslikes change. Long time ago, I cheated on a girlfriend - she broke up with me and demanded that if were were to get back together that I get her name tatooed on my butt. Oh, am I glad I didn't fall for that!!

6. Bodies change. (more for the women folk) Things sag and change places with age - use your imagination.

7. If you ever plan on being a professional, you better believe that having a german eagle plastered across your chest and neck will make a difference - it did for one of my friends.

This will probably get closed - just wanted to add my 2 cents, though.

45Gunner

I usually don't comment on these types of threads but, if you have an entire future ahead of you, you MUST be aware of the ramifications of everything that you do now, affects your future.

OCS will not accept you if you have a tattoo that is visible with a short sleeve shirt on. Any tattoo must not be gang related nor of a nature that the average person would find offensive, which includes nudity or personifies killing or violence. Remember, as an Officer, you are held to a higher standard and must set the example.

Most professions, ones which require an advanced degree and where you deal with the public or do business, do not accept tattoos where they are readily visible.

Everyone that I know that has a tattoo they got as a youngster, now regrets it. I am not against tattoos but appreciate they are not for everyone. Think long and hard before you do what you will have to live with for the rest of your life and whatever you do, make sure it is not visible wearing a short sleeve shirt.

EdInk

Okay, I have to weigh-in on this post. As you can guess from my name, I am heavily tattooed. I wear a suit to work and even if not required by policy, I would to cover my artwork. (Sometimes, you still can catch a glimpse of my calf piece if I cross my legs when I sit down.) I love all my tats and have no regrets about any of them. They all have meaning and were done by a great artist. I am all for people having tattoos.... if they really are sure it's what they want.

Alot of people see my ink and say "Oh that's cool. I want to get (fill in the blank) on my (fill in the blank)." My response is you better be real sure. There is a social stigma to it. Especially with large pieces.

People associate them with lower class, although good tattoo work is anything but cheap. My FULL backpiece (from collar to belt) alone took around 50ish hours and a couple years to complete. Cost would be around $8000 dollars. For anyone saying that's too much for a tattoo. You're wrong. This is something that you will have forever. It is the same mentality as never paying more than $350 for gun that may save your life. People also associate being heavily tattooed with being a criminal because of the popularity of gang and prison tattooing. However, anyone who bothers to look can usually see the difference quickly.

In terms of work and jobs, I can tell you visible tattoos are still not accepted in most career fields. One thing I made a decision to do was stop at all my arm tats at my mid-forearm. The reason is even with long sleeve shirts, your cuff will move a little and expose any tattoos that go further than mentioned.

The most common reponse to tattoos if discovered by co-workers will be curiousity. I know when I started at my current job, I fully
planned on keeping all my tats secret. It is a very conservative enviroment. Then after only about 3 weeks, we had a tornado touch down about 300 yards away and destroy a neighboring building. Well, after the storm me and one another guy went out in the POURING rain and still 30+ mph wind to pull debris off and tape trash bags over the shattered rear windows of several of the girls' cars. Fully soak and freezing cold we both wrung out our shirts. And me (because I see them everyday) didn't think about my tattoos. Surprise!!! Would've been an understatement. Fortunately, everyone working that day was younger and pretty cool. I think they were so shaken up from the tornado and happy we were able to pull the debris off there cars that they'd have been happy to have anyone around that day. But since they found out after doing a "good deed" (which IMHO is just proper manners), I think it made people see PASSED the tattoos. If they had JUST SEEN the tattoos, I think the responses would have been more close-minded.

Anyway, in regards to the OP....
If you are asking others what you should have indelibly put on your skin IMHO you are not ready for this tattoo. Every tat on my body has personal meaning and is there everyday forever. In my case, the ideas kind of just come to me. And are linked to something going on in my life or at least inside my head. Then with the exception of the two that honor my deceased grandparents, I will dwell on the idea for a few months MINIMUM. (And sadly/honestly the ones for my grandparents I had started to plan when their health started declining. The only shock was that my grandma died first. Her heart gave out suddenly, we think from the stress of worrying about my grandpa who's health had been very poor for a couple years.)

In regards to military employment, the rules have changed lately. In the past the armed forces used to be very tolerant of tattoos but lately have been cracking down because of public opinion. (Which IMO is a dumb reason to do things in the military. Fear of public opinion is ONE OF the reasons we have not done what is needed WIN the current war. A war that has ran LONGER against a SMALLER enemy than all fronts of WWII.)

Ultimately, my advice is to wait. You will know what/if you want a tattoo for certain. The concern about not liking it when you're older hints uncertainty. (In reality if your 70 years old and your biggest concern in life is that your tattoo doesn't look as good as it did 45years ago... then you're life is pretty darn good!)

If you REALLY want it, nothing anyone says or does will change your mind. The design (which you should at least give the artist a BASIC idea for the theme) will come to you. As will size and placement. Furthermore, it is never a good idea to bargain hunt (you get what you pay for is true) or be turned off by having to wait (even several months) for an appointment. Good artists ARE hard to find, ARE booked in advance and ARE NOT cheap. Once you've decided completely on your own what you desire. Then
go for it wholeheartedly. Tattoos should never be done impulsively, intoxicated, to be cool or for anything other than a true personal desire to have it done. (Most tats people regret are done in such a manner.)

Best of Luck

-Ed

kraigwy

Like others said, TASTEFUL tattoos are ok if they dont show in T-shirts, in the military.

HOWEVER: That dosnt mean they are allowed for officers. I dont know of any regulations that prevent them for officers, but I know officers. Regardless how you are comissioned, you are going to have to go before a board of officers to determine if you are "officer material". The board is going to be made up of officers who will look at everything.

Read the above post.....how many post start with............"I got drunk and...........or ...........I woke up with........"

I went though this board, I set on these boards. Like I said, I dont know of any Regs other then I posted above, but I will tell you from experience that a tattoo WILL NOT HELP YOU.

EdInk

I forgot to mention, do not even consider going into this thing with the idea
of having it removed later if you don't like it anymore.

Removal is expensive, time consuming, far from 100% successful, uncomfortable and only exsists because people that never should have gotten tattooed in the first place decided against their own better judgement.

As far as inks designed to be easier to be removed, no respectable artist would use them, the permanency helps makes tattooing such a unique art form. Plus, they are new and the longevity (if you decide to keep the tattoo) is unknown in terms of fading over time. I also suggest staying away from glow-in-the-dark and blacklight-activated inks. There haven't been too many reported problems but durability has been less the stellar and IMHO there is no way you can honestly tell me that stuff that GLOWS in the damn dark is 100% non-toxic and the same for the blacklight ink.

noelf2

Hmmm.... How is this firearms related?? :confused::confused: Mods might close this one down.

Anyway, I wouldn't judge someone with a tasteful tatt, but I wouldn't hire someone with big gaping holes in their earlobes.... :p:D

Lavid2002

firearms related b/c I wanted a gun related tattoo : )

Too much garbage. Thanks for the advice. Im going to wait to get one. At least untill after OCS. Maybe not even then.

Thanks fellas!

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.