Target 9mm?

chris in va

I may be looking to get a target 9mm here soon, something that will reliably hit a 2.5' steel target at 100 yards if I do my part.

So far the CZ TS Orange looks to check (Czech?) the boxes with long sight radius, SA trigger, accurized barrel/bushing. I'm not too keen on the 'race gun' purpose however.

Also looking at an Sig 210 Target, the CZ A01 is sweet but way out of my price range and reliability has been reportedly spotty.

Any other suggestions?

bac1023

I have them all

What’s your price range? If you want a true target gun, stay away from polymer stuff.

Jim Watson

Hundred yards on a budget, let's see now.
Colt New Python. S&W Model 27.
Oh wait, those are not 9mms.

If a CZ A01 is too expensive, maybe a CZC 75 Bullseye.
The TSO is probably good but why are you hung up on "the race gun purpose" when YOUR purpose is long range steel?

Hmm, the HK Expert is cheaper than I thought.

I don't know about a Beretta, although David Sams can make them very accurate.

If a .45 would do, obsolete iron sight accurized 1911s turn up every now and then, but not many 9mms. There are 9mm 1911s set up for PPC that would serve but are likely out of your willingness to pay.

chris in va

Wow that CZC Bullseye looks amazing. I like 'sleeper' guns, unassuming until you pick off a golf ball at 50 yards.

My 97b was exactly like that until it broke.

Sevens

The TS Orange would be a fine choice but know going forward that these are no longer in production. The way I roll, this is perfectly fine as I prefer to buy used anyway.

The S&W Performance Center Limited guns are also quite capable here (the 952 and PPC-9) but you're talking beyond $2k to even think about getting in.

If we're still in the discussion stage and nobody is feeling overly twitchy about the "thread drift", history has shown us that most folks can get .45's to display the kind of accuracy you seek -FAR- more easily than they can with 9mm chambered pistols.

44 AMP

Staff
reliably hit a 2.5' steel target at 100 yards if I do my part.

tough act to do with any service class semi auto pistol, even the "match" and "target" grade ones. I'm not sure any tilt barrel gun (with sights that move in relation to the barrel) is actually capable of the level of accuracy you want.

Remember, there are 3 major things involved, and some other factors as well. The major factors are, the gun (mechanical accuracy), the ammo, and the shooter.

In order to reliably hit a 2.5" target at 100 yds the entire combination of factors, gun, ammo, and shooter have to be able to shoot groups smaller than 2.5".

If any of the factors cannot do this, you won't get reliable hits.

TunnelRat

The OP used ‘, not ”, which last I knew meant feet. Hitting a 2.5’ target at 100 yd isn’t easy, but I’ve done similar with Glocks. That’s not to say it isn’t easier with pistols with nicer triggers.

Sevens

I made the same mistake at first... 2.5 inches at 100...?!

But after a re-read... oh for sure, 2-1/2 feet isn't that hard, especially if you start from a rest to figure out your hold.

I often shoot a 12-inch gong at 100 with pistols of all kinds. It's especially enjoyable with .22 pistols but you can really only enjoy that on a quiet day with almost no other shooters at the range simply because you cannot hear the hits if there is other gunfire and you certainly cannot see the hits of .22LR on a heavy plate.

TunnelRat

I made the same mistake at first... 2.5 inches at 100...?!

But after a re-read... oh for sure, 2-1/2 feet isn't that hard, especially if you start from a rest to figure out your hold.

I often shoot a 12-inch gong at 100 with pistols of all kinds. It's especially enjoyable with .22 pistols but you can really only enjoy that on a quiet day with almost no other shooters at the range simply because you cannot hear the hits if there is other gunfire and you certainly cannot see the hits of .22LR on a heavy plate.

When other shooters are on the long side of my range I can barely hear my 30 carbine hit the 300 yd steel. 22 at 100 yd must be pretty quiet.

44 AMP

Staff
Oops, my bad, sorry

I did misread the size, and yes, 2.5 feet is a much different matter.

Before the "glorious result of a misspent youth" (advancing age) took effect, one of my favorite games was ringing the 200yd gong on the range with handguns. Offhand, unsupported, and often one handed.

Hitting a 2 and a half FOOT steel plate at 100yds should be possible with any decent handgun, PROVIDED the shooter knows how to aim for that distance.

My favorite gun to use for that is my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt, but I have done it with a stock Browning Hi Power 9mm and also with many other guns, including a freinds .357 Sig I had never shot before (gun or caliber). That one took me two sighter shots....:D

Sevens

With decent electronic ears, the .22LR hits make a beautiful sound even at 300 on a 12-inch plate. (I think my hit rate was 8 or 9 out of a hundred...) If I remember correctly, I was doing that with a 1952 Colt Challenger.

But yes, it's gotta be you and very few others on the range.

It's funny that you mention .30 Carbine on steel -- I was slapping the 100 yard target (mini-IPSC) with my .30 Carb Blackhawk last time out. For a handgun it is an exceptionally flat shooter and good fun on the rifle range.

Mike38

I may be looking to get a target 9mm here soon, something that will reliably hit a 2.5' steel target at 100 yards if I do my part.

2.5 feet? Or do you mean inches? If you mean inches, no such handgun exists.

chris in va

2.5 feet. It's called a 'tombstone' target.

The TSO has been discontinued?? What the heck.

That Sig 210 definitely looks to be a contender. I can't make heads or tails as to what CZ is offering these days. Interesting about the 45ACP, wish I could get my 97 fixed.

44 AMP

Staff
2.5 feet? Or do you mean inches? If you mean inches, no such handgun exists.

There absolutely are handguns that can reliably hit 2.5 inch targets at 100 yards. I own some. They are scoped, and are best shot from a rest or braced position, are single shots and use rifle cartridges but they ARE handguns!