Tale of two guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreyzhorse

I wouldn't sell it without a disclaimer.. and I sure as hell wouldn't buy from you if you did.

I'm not sure that I blame Kimber on this one.... you dropped a double charged handload in it and you own that and you own the liablity.

runningbear

I bought three Kimbers years ago all .45s one was a 3" and i had to send it back when the ejector broke, it was designed really long, Kimber made the replacment shorter but again it broke.
Next was a 4" it had a recoil spring that was really hard to remove, and this Kimber needed replacing at around 100 rounds fired.
The best of all my Kimbers was the 5" TLE ll but i decided to get rid of them all.
The 4" was used as a trade in for a LMT AR-15 Defender, both the 3"&5" Kimbers were used in a trade for two 5" all blue steel .45 Colts, and they have never had any problems.
Kimber service Dept. treated me good no complaints about them, i just started seeing the Kimber Company just making to many new type firearms and thought it was time to tell Kimber good bye.

HisSoldier

All I have to add is RCBS's Lock out die which detects over and under loaded cases and locks the press until the bad load is removed.

I would NOT respect Kimber if they had done anything different than what they did. I cannot understand how anyone can think they would risk so much liability over one gun that a owner clearly violated the warranty with a over charge and to the point of serious risk to any possible future shooting.

Good for Kimber. They did exactly the right thing.

Brutus

The thing that bothers me is that the op is selling the gun, probably on consignment. Hope the poor guy who buys it isn't injured as a result.:(

Brit

To my my knowledge, all pistol manufacturers have the disclaimer on hand loads. They kill the warrantee.
I worked for Glock GA for two years. So became friendly with some of the staff.

Officiating at an IPSC Ontario Canada match, at an indoor range near Orlando, one Sat. afternoon. An older shooter, he was 80. Fired the course, with quite the horrendous report from his Glock 17. He was new to the reloading game.
(I am 84, 80 isn't old!) He asked me could I adjust his rear night sight, I had the tool in my shooting bag. It was shooting to the left. Yes, 7" to the left, at 10 yds! I fired one shot, just like shooting a .44 Mag! Stripped it down, the slide was cracked at the bottom of the ejection port.

After cleaning up, locking up, off to Tim Hortons for coffee and doughnuts.
I know, real men go for beer! Canadians, what can I say.
He explained his reloading technique. He was using 115g hardball rounds with the max. charge of 700X (we bought that Dupont powder in Buffalow in 12 lb kegs) lasted a long time. We were supposed to declare it at customs?
I am an American now, more honest?

Back to his re-loading. When he used up his 115g bullets, he switched to lead cast 169g bullets he bought from a friend. No, he did not change the powder throw! I sent the slide back to Smyrna, with a note, asked that they send me a new slide. They had my credit card on file.
A funny phone call! And a new slide turned up, no note! No charge. Another buddy who had been loading for .45 & 9mm for years took our new loader under his wing. Done.

Brit

If all the parts where dissembled, and every part were to be X-rayed done by an expert in metallurgy (which I am not) plus each part measured and matched against the factory new parts physical measurements, and replace out of spec parts.

If this was my gun, I would keep and shoot it. And fit my reloading system with a fail-safe check for double loads.

dogtown tom

Uhhhh.................OP hasn't posted to this thread since his original post on April 10th and hasn't posted to TFL at all in over a month....so I doubt he has any interest in the conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnKSa

Administrator
When he used up his 115g bullets, he switched to lead cast 169g bullets he bought from a friend. No, he did not change the powder throw!
That's scary. I'm surprised Glock replaced the slide free.

And I think this thread is done now. I'm going to delete some posts that are needlessly hostile and put it to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.