Talaban "Hit" Photo sequence!

fmjcafe

Uh,guys...I remember seeing this on the net about a year ago.If memory serves it`s Russian soldiers being hit by Mujahedeen.

EchoFiveMike

Close, it was Russians getting killed by Chechens. Probably 152mm arty shell, small bomb or SAM warhead, command detonated. Was on Chechen website, about 6-8monthes ago. Semper Fidelis...Ken M

RT

They showed us that sequence last summer at OBC and said that it occured in Kosovo and was the result of an incorrectly cleared mine.

Meowhead

Hey, I remember seeing this a few months ago. Does anyone know where/when it actually happened?

Anyway, since when are F-14s doing ground-attack sorties? Why would two of them simultaneously drop bombs on an APC?
meh.gif

EchoFiveMike

It was Chechneya, not Kosovo, not Afganistan. Those are Russians, probably conscripts. It was a large charge, perhaps a mine, likely command detonated. The second shot(the one taking out the poor losers trying to retreat) is likely an RPG or perhaps a 40mm grenade(GP-25, 40mm muzzle loaded Soviet thing) The Chechan's videotaped it, and put it on their web site(I don't know, www.evil-terrorist.com?)

George, the BTR is a POS. A 14.5mm in an unstabilized mount is good vs troops(maybe), but the stabilized 25mm Bushmaster with thermals on the LAV will eat it everyday, and twice on Sundays. Plus American troops are trained five times better then even the best Russian troops, and it isn't even a contest. Why do people have this thing for Russian gear? It's mostly crap. Semper Fidelis...Ken M

Arrell

Y'all'r all wrong...

As one can clearly see, it is a wagon full of damyankees, gettin their cumupance from some faithful and true sons of the Confederancy. One can almost hear "Dixie" softly playing.

Destructo6

Tomcats have been dropping bombs since shortly after they were shut out of the Gulf War. Though it's not their forte, they're now quite capable ground attack aircraft.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
The BTR can mount many other goodies other than the 14.7mm HMG. It's a POS? Right. Sure thing. Our aluminum hulled pepsi can LAVs could survive a tusle with a steel hulled BTR?
I want what your smoking.

Fred S

Geroge Hill says: "Everyplace I have seen that it is said to be a BMP.
Really it is a BTR.
Something our LAV III wants to be. A BTR 80 would EAT our LAVs."

Not quite Geroge. The BTR-80 is only protected against 7.62mm Ball ammuniton, the IAV variant of the LAV III has a base armor protection agaisnt 14.5mm B32 API. It will also have add-on armor to protect against unitary RPG-7.

BTRs are OK vehicles but are nothing compared to the LAV-III IAV.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
For a wheeled vehicle (armored car), i'd rather have the BTR over an LAV. Think about this... if you put the same amount of dollars into the BTR as you will for your LAV III, you will have one serious vehicle. You could afford to outfit it with additional armor, weapons and com systems... and still not come close to the cost of an LAV III. But money aside, the BTR is still better. STEEL. Real STEEL. Think about that.
BTR-80A This vehicle incorporates a new turret system which is referred to as the modular weapon station (MWS). The MWS is of all welded steel construction. Mounted externally on the top of the turret is the same 30-mm 2A42 cannon that is fitted to the BMP-2. A PKT 7.62-mm machine-gun is mounted coaxially to the right of the 30-mm cannon. Mounted on either side of the cannon is a bank of three 81-mm electrically operated, forward firing smoke grenade launchers. Turret traverse is through 360º with weapon elevation being between -5 and +70º. Although it lacks the protection level of the BMP-2, the BTR-80A has the advantage of a higher road speed and range and, therefore greater strategic mobility.