Taking Your Gun Apart Blindfolded

SONICMASD

well its in the movies so why not try it? hah.

i just finished taking apart and reassembling my Taurus 24/7 9mm blindfolded. I started with a full clip and one in the chamber and thats the condition that i reassembled to.

takedown: 1 min 26 secs
reassembly: 3 min 1 sec

there is a lot of room for improvement, but seeing as this was my first time i am thoroughly impressed with myself (pats self on the back)

anyone ever tried this too???

SONICMASD

yeah i think from now on i'll take the rounds out of the magazine and just cycle the slide empty to signal the end of reasembly.

Kayser

Frankly, if you were using live rounds - I'd consider that extremely dumb. If you've got a brain - sit back and think of how that could have gone wrong - hopefully it'll be a sobering experience.

zappadragon

i just finished taking apart and reassembling my Taurus 24/7 9mm blindfolded.
VERY COOL!

I started with a full clip and one in the chamber and thats the condition that i reassembled to.
VERY VERY DUMB!

Shamus

Yikes!!!!!!!! Your taking down and reassembling a firearm with your eyes closed an with ammo in the same room?

Anyway, I have been doing that with firearms since the military only I do it at night with the room pitch black. I never take down any firearm, for any reason, with ammo in the same room. I know two individuals that "accidentally" shot themselves. One was an instructor the other a LEO. ND's happen and I try my best to stay out of the stats.

bodu55

I second the VERY VERY STUPID! I guess that skill will come in handy if you are ever kidnapped and ordered to break down your Taurus blindfolded. Congrats on your accomplishment! :eek:

U.F.O.

Playing Devil's advocate.

I can certainly see how blindfold "speedstripping" a loaded gun could be uhhhh.....dangerous. BUT, the operative danger word here (IMO) could be speedstripping, not blindfolded, necessarily. Reason: We sometimes practice shooting, reloading and clearing in low light/no light situations for the primary reason that many attacks, if not most, happen at night. Just something to consider because showdowns at high noon only happen in the movies and the ability to handle your firearm in the pitch dark might just save your life someday.

U.F.O.

bodu55

Shooting, clearing and reloading in low light or in pitch black are very different than breaking down and re-assembling. If you have a gun that would require a field strip to clear a stoppage, I suggest you get a better gun.

dsk

Just for the sheer hell of it, I once DETAIL-STRIPPED then re-assembled a 1911 in the dark. I had no trouble taking it apart, but putting it back together I had more trouble finding the parts in the pitch black than actually putting them back in the gun. Ironically, the part that was the most difficult was at the very end, getting the slide stop back in without being able to see the link through the frame hole.

Shorts

Dumb to do it with live rounds? Yes. Use snap caps if you can :eek:

But very good to handle and hone your feel for the gun. In any sport/activity people do random things for practice that don't seem to serve an obvious purpose. Some do it for sheer fun, some do it out of curiosity, some do it for the "let's see if I can do it" factor...regardless, the end learning results in better confidence and all around understanding...you become one with the ball :eek: heh, sorry, one of the things we'd say to ourselves during basketball practice or horribly frustrating drills :D

Lord_Nikon

I think we can agree that, as he posted on this forum, SONICMASD is not illiterate, so give him a break on the live round thing. It's one thing to remind someone to be safe; it's quite another to continue to hammer on him for a mistake. Give him some credit.

Sven Hoek

Let's cut SONICMASD a little slack. In his second post he said in the future he'd do this with his pistol unloaded. Furthermore, though I've never attempted this with a loaded firearm it certainly isn't impossible to safely dissemble one blindfolded if you unload and clear. Even if you don't unload and clear it until after you've blindfolded yourself or turned out the lights. I guarantee you I can tell whether or not my firearm is unloaded and cleared in the dark by touch. Now after stating all of that there is nothing wrong with practicing as safely as possible either! ;)

SONICMASD

ahaah yeah cut me some slack ahah, its ok i knew id get hazed for telling you i did it with live rounds, but i know it was dumb and wont do it again. i think its a good skill to learn however, you never know if you will have to take down your gun, clean it, then reassemble it in very dark/low light situations.

Tom2

Hipoint

Here is how to take apart your Hipoint pistol blindfolded. Put gun on hard surface such as a heavy workbench. Put on blindfold. Pick up 20 lb. sledgehammer and apply vigorously to the pistol-you will get tactile feedback from the sound and feel if you are being successful. Wait, you did say take apart only? :p

James K

Member In Memoriam
Like dsk, I have detail stripped and reassembled a M1911A1 in total darkness, including removal of mag catch, trigger, and the springs and plungers, but not disassembling the mainspring housing. I won a $20 bet doing so, but was not dumb enough to do it with a loaded gun. Yes, finding the parts is harder than putting them in, although the sear and disconnector is a bit tricky without being able to see.

Jim

i just finished taking apart and reassembling my Taurus 24/7 9mm blindfolded. I started with a full clip and one in the chamber and thats the condition that i reassembled to.

While I would not consider using a loaded gun as particularly dangerous, assumed one could always maintain muzzle safety and have significantly large backstops all the way around you, what I did find problematic was the logic for using the loaded gun, that it was the condition to which he was used to having the gun. While he may have been used to having a loaded, what he was NOT used to was performing these procedures bindfolded. So the logic on using the loaded gun did not match the logic for doing it blind-folded (to see if he could do it like in the movies, only he had never done it before. In the movies where I have seen it practiced, they don't use [supposed live ammo] loaded guns.

ahaah yeah cut me some slack ahah, its ok i knew id get hazed for telling you i did it with live rounds, but i know it was dumb and wont do it again. i think its a good skill to learn however, you never know if you will have to take down your gun, clean it, then reassemble it in very dark/low light situations.

I am having trouble picturing which might result in the unknown circumstances of someone not in the military where a person might need to strip and clean a pistol in low light circumstances that would also include having cleaning gear with you, much less needing to do it in a hurry.