Taking The Plunge

GarandTd

The ladder testing looks like the fun part.

I'll be happy if I can duplicate 200gr Remington Corelokt for my 141. That rifle does very well with that round. It was my grandfather's rifle and I hunt with it.

The Marlin is where I'll experiment a little more. It does better with the Hornady LeverEvolution, but still not as good as I'd like. The Hornady seems a little hotter and thumps a little harder in the Marlin and I would like to work on that. Pistol bullets for plinker loads sound fun too.....

BJung

Your next new toy

I think a chronograph is worth buying. First, after you find your pet load using your 1st pound of powder, the charge might change slightly in the second pound you bought. Some quick test loads with the chronograph helps you. Second, I use to conduct my ladder test solely by looking at my printed groups. That's fine but a MV to back it up using the chronograph is worth it. Then there is finding the right bullet seating depth using the chronograph. I suspect that the chronograph can identify a pet load for a pistol too using the chronographed ladder test. Anyone want to chime in or should this go to another topic?

GarandTd

Things I've overlooked so far:
Shell holders for the Lee Auto Bench Prime
A headspace gauge
A 2nd loading block

I'm also adding a digital scale. I ordered and received the Lee Safety Scale. I am content with the Lee for measuring powder charges, but I want to be able to weigh completed rounds and or bullets and the Lee scale only weighs up to 100 gns. I would like a digital scale for backup anyway.

Last edited: