Taking Guns To Canada

colbad

I am thinking about driving to Alaska and will be transporting a few guns with me through Canada. Most likely a lever rifle, shotgun and possibly a 6" Blackhawk.

I was wondering if any of you have experience bringing guns into Canada or how long the permit process takes. Once you have your permit was there any issue at the either boarder?

g.willikers

JERRYS.

mail them to an ffl, pick them up when you get there. Canada is as bad a mexico for an American caught with a firearm, except the water is better.

or..... claim to be a Syrian. they will take your guns but give you free housing, free healthcare, free food, and some pocket money.

kilimanjaro

Check with both RCMP and Canada Customs through the internet or a consulate. Their are limits on ammo transportation, storage and quantity.

Don't even think about having the pistol loaded.

I've heard some horror stories, being a frequent visitor to Vancouver. Follow the rules, you're OK, but deviate and lose big time.

Do delouse your vehicle now, search very carefully for a loose round of ammo or a spare magazine laying around. They're serious about stuff.

Make sure to complete the forms before showing up at the border.

carguychris

g.willikers said:
If you do a web search on the subject, there's links to be found for both the US and Canadian government web sites that explain things in detail, including the forms needed and required procedures.
Here's a few:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm
Re: the RCMP link, it doesn't really emphasize some important information regarding handguns, although it should be clear if you read the linked documents closely.

All handguns are considered either "Restricted" or "Prohibited" firearms under Canadian law. (Prohibited firearms are actually not truly prohibited in the most literal sense, as certain Canadians can own them under a grandfather clause, but you almost certainly won't qualify for this.)

When reading the links, applications, etc. you need to pay close attention to the parts that concern Restricted firearms.

I don't believe that the Blackhawk is Prohibited, because it has a barrel over 105mm (4.13") long, but it may be Prohibited for some other reason; I'm not familiar enough with the regulations to know for certain.

Last edited:

g.willikers

Isn't there a ferry that goes from the north western US to Alaska, bypassing Canada all together?
One of these days, maybe Canadians will discover they are no longer colonies.
It could be worse, ask an Australian gun owner.
Or even a New Yorker, for that matter.
See how lucky the rest of us still are.
Of course, luck has little to do with it.
Is everyone up to date with their memberships in the national and local gun rights organizations?
See, I can nag about things other than firearms training.

Last edited:

carguychris

JERRYS. & Doyle...

...it is generally unlawful for a civilian without an 01, 02, 07, or 08 FFL to use the U.S. mail to send or receive a handgun. This is covered in the "How to ship firearms" sticky.

The shipment must go FedEx or UPS, which will be expensive to AK, and their policies may prohibit this type of shipment (I haven't reviewed their tariffs lately).

In the case of the Blackhawk, this may effectively preclude shipping it, as it's unlawful for an AK FFL to transfer a handgun to an unlicensed resident of another state. :( (A very narrow exception would be if it's old enough to be C&R-eligible and the OP has an 03 Collector FFL, in which case it could be mailed to an AK FFL from an 01/02/07 FFL in the OP's home state, then transferred to the OP in AK.)

Last edited:

JERRYS.

I know you can't mail guns using the uspo. I didn't know you couldn't mail them to yourself and pick them up at a ffl.

carguychris

^^^ Unless prohibited by law in the destination state, AFAIK mailing it to him/herself in the care of a 3rd party is perfectly legal if it's a mailable rifle or mailable shotgun (refer to the sticky). It's also lawful for an AK FFL to transfer a long gun to the OP, assuming it's legal to possess in both states, and AK law does not prohibit this type of transaction (and I'm nearly certain it doesn't).

Not so much if it's a "firearm capable of being concealed on the person"—i.e. handgun, stripped rifle/shotgun receiver, or SBR/SBS. Only certain classes of FFL or "Authorized Persons" (generally LE/military) may lawfully send or receive such firearms via U.S. mail.

Doyle

Chris, when I said "mail" , I wasn't specifically referring to USPS. Yes, I know that an individual can't use USPS for a handgun. I was using the world "mail" in a generic sense to "send/ship".

T. O'Heir

Canada is as bad a Mexico for an American caught with an illegally possessed firearm. Tell our Customs types, pay the $25 fee and you're fine. Don't tell 'em and you'll be arrested and turned over to Homeland Security. Likely not let back in here again either.
A 6" Blackhawk is just restricted, unless it's a .32 calibre. All you need is the declaration(Non-Resident Firearm Declaration. Form RCMP 5589) and to keep 'em ALL in a locked case. There is no CCW or hunting with a handgun, period.
"...Isn't there a ferry that..." It's called a cruise ship. No firearms on them either.
"...maybe Canadians will discover they are no longer colonies..." Canada is not part of the U.S. like some of ya'll seem to think either. Some State gun laws, like California's, are far worse than ours. Some U.S. cities make far more restrictive laws than our too. We have no Provincial and certainly no municipal firearm ownership laws.

carguychris

Doyle said:
Chris, when I said "mail" , I wasn't specifically referring to USPS. Yes, I know that an individual can't use USPS for a handgun. I was using the world "mail" in a generic sense to "send/ship".
I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure.

Not trying to pick on you, just trying to be concise. :)
T. O'Heir said:
A 6" Blackhawk is just restricted, unless it's a .32 calibre.
Good catch, I forgot that a few (rare!) Blackhawks are .32 H&R Mag, .32-20 WCF, or .327FedMag.

For those not "in the know", .25 and .32 caliber handguns are categorically Prohibited in Canada.
T. O'Heir said:
A 6" Blackhawk is just restricted, unless it's a .32 calibre. All you need is the declaration(Non-Resident Firearm Declaration. Form RCMP 5589) and to keep 'em ALL in a locked case.
Really, for a handgun? I thought you needed special advance permission.

Is this a special case (no pun intended...) for direct travel to AK?

T. O'Heir

Hi. You're right. DOH! You need to apply for our ATT. Authorization To Transport. RCMP form 5490 or 1 800 731-4000. No idea if the 800 number works from the U.S..

colbad

Perhaps I need to clarify. I know what needs to be done for the permits and what is and is not permitted. I am not mailing anything, I am carrying them with me and I don't want to avoid Canada....I want to explore it along the way. Plan to spend a few months on the road just exploring.

I was looking for someone who had personal experience with the firearms process in Canada and did all that was required. Did it all go as planned or are there pitfalls that should be considered aside from having all the proper paperwork?

Last edited:

osbornk

Isn't there a ferry that goes from the north western US to Alaska, bypassing Canada all together?

Yes. Three friends made the trip last week with a BMW motorcycle each. The trip is about 1,000 miles and it cost them $1,000 each.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I took 3 shotguns into Canada in 2014 to duck hunt. Canadian Border Guard Hollingsworth (who apparently had been relieved of his sense of humor) seemed a little bothered by the fact that I was taking 3 virtually identical shotguns, but everything went smoothly beyond that. Truth be told, getting shotguns into Canada turned out to be easier than getting them back into the US.

For returning to the US, there is a process by which you can "register" your firearms. I declined to do so, but this supposedly will help speed things along coming back. From what I understand, you fill out the form, and it is checked on exit and re-entry, but the US border guards do not copy, scan, etc. They just check serial numbers. As I did not do this, take this post for what it's worth.

Skans

The State of Alaska should consider addressing the difficulties of taking personal firearms from other states to Alaska for hunting / woods protection, etc. It's a popular destination for people who enjoy guns and the outdoors. You would think they would initiate a state-wide program to make it easy to take your personal firearms to and from Alaska to promote tourism.