Tactical XD with compact grip...Why?

AZGlock13

I'm surprised Glock hasn't tried the same thing with taking a G21 slide and putting it on a chopped gripped G21 frame that accepts G30 mags (a G21 compact basically).

I have always found barrel length to not be as hard to conceal as grip length. That makes this a good idea in my book. In fact I just bought the 4" XD-45acp Compact (OD and stainless) today.

You can always stick the extended grip mag is you want the full size grip.

patrol

grip not barrel

The reason is because the grip girth and length not the barrel length are what actually makes a concealed handgun "print". Especially on IWB Holster carry where the gun is stuffed down your pants and the grip is the only thing that is not concealed. At the same time you dont want a grip that is so short that you have to "dig your gun out" to get it into action.

45reloader

I would say for thin framed men and women who don't want the pistol grip to print.

Then you could use it for open carry 13+1 or undercover work 10+1

CraigC

As the others have stated, barrel length is easier to conceal than grip length. However, that big 5" Tactical model with the short grip is gonna look goofy as hell!

PlayboyPenguin, how much harder would the 5 inch realistically be to conceal compared to the 4 inch?
Are you talking barrel length? If so it would not be that much harder at all with a good holster that holds the gun high enough. :)

imahotshot

Hey, Electrichellfire---I always thought the only part of the gun hard to hide was the grip---I don't have a bit of trouble with my "full size" Para P-14. How well it hides seem to hang on the holster. Some holsters will keep it tucked in close to my side, others let it hang out "western style." Sometimes I carry my P-12, other times I carry my 9mm (with +P+) but heck, I never had any trouble "hiding the big one!"

XD45Sooner

LOL it would look goofy as hell!! Is this a model that they are planning on making in the future or is this just speculation? I havent heard anything about it is why I ask

CraigC

That's not too awful bad. More like the difference between a Glock 17 and 19. Now if it were as short as a Glock 26, it would be too fugly to live. Like those 1911's with a Commander slide and Officer's grip frame.

parrothead2581

Colt did a similar thing with their Concealed Carry Model. It incorporated an Officer's size frame with a true Commander length slide, like CraigC described.

As stated before, the grip is the tell tale give away.

Hey, Electrichellfire---I always thought the only part of the gun hard to hide was the grip---I don't have a bit of trouble with my "full size" Para P-14. How well it hides seem to hang on the holster. Some holsters will keep it tucked in close to my side, others let it hang out "western style." Sometimes I carry my P-12, other times I carry my 9mm (with +P+) but heck, I never had any trouble "hiding the big one!"

Well I carry IWB and for me at least when I try to carry a 5 inch barrel protrudes too far downward when seated causing the entire pistol to begin riding up and off my belt/waistband after Im seated for a while. I carry at about 4 o'clock pos. Thats just me. Im sure if you are carrying OWB or in a different configuration it may work much better.

ssilicon

Do they offer the compact grip in a 5" tactical barrel? I thought the compact grip was only an option on the 3" and 4" barrels.