Synthetic flints?

MattShlock

I have found cut agate fine. Use it in smaller locks generally. I think the key is to introduce the flint edge to the frizzen at not too direct, not too perpendicular, an angle where it slams the thing but touches it at an angle as close to less than 45-degrees as possible yet where it runs its edge along the steel face for as long as possible and produces hot sparks...

...like running a nail along the nape of a woman's neck. Easy does it.

I had a "magic flint." It came with a used Jap Bess and it must have lasted me a few hundred shots. I don't think I ever did more than readjust the edge to the face of the frizzen which is something folk simply fail to do too often, usually thinking they should, and can, knap.

I bought a used squirrel gun off Gun Broker, I didn't know it at the time, but, it has that Ferro-cerium applied to the frizzen, & has a piece of steel where the flint would normally go... it appears to have a very long life, & throws sparks like crazy... had a thread for it here along time ago...

attachment.php

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365177

I know it's not traditional... it was, & is my only "flintlock" out of 5 muzzleloaders... as "ugly" as it is, it does function quite well...

I actually bought it a couple "shortages" ago, when you also couldn't get primers... & I was worried about having something that didn't require a primer ( I've since stocked up quite well ) so I don't shoot this one often

I had thought of switching it back, & bought a couple nice European knapped flints, but never put them in... as an aside... I thought I had heard that some states had outlawed this type of ignition, as they were afraid it could cause more forest fires ???

BTW... thanks to this thread, I never realized how much maintenance was needed for the flints... I thought they would work well until they cracked or broke ???

but sounds like you're lucky if you get a 100 shots off a good one ???

Rifleman1776

sounds like you're lucky if you get a 100 shots off a good one ???
mwm, this is an antique system with basically obsolete parts in the equation. I'm a pretty stubborn old coot and believe if you want modern, fine, shoot modern. I do at times. But if you want to remember, reenact and enjoy the old ways, do it the old way. But, that's me.
Luck is only part of the equation. If you flint happens to be a good one you will get more shots than with a poor one. They are a natural product and quality varies. Other factors involve the construction of the lock, in many ways and how you set it up.
This is a do it yer way game. I may spit and moan over deviations from the old ways but you don't have to fret over what I think.

Captchee

what the heck is all over the bottom jaw on that cock ?????
if thats fouling , its got to be the largest amount of build up i have ever seen :eek:

dahermit

dahermit,

That's called ferrocerium.
Thanks for the information. I had just assumed that they were made of magnesium, but now after reading your link and thinking about it, scraping a magnesium rod would not likely make sparks.

"scraping a magnesium rod would not likely make sparks."

Nope, it would not.

In fact, there are fire starters on the market that are nothing more than blocks of magnesium with a ferrocerium rod in them.

You scrape off a pile of magnesium shavings with a knife, then use the knife to spark the ferrocerium rod into the shavings. Magnesium burns EXTREMELY hot.

I have one I bought more than 20 years ago and have used quite a bit and I'm not anywhere near making a dent in it.

The only problem with them is if you don't get your fingers out of the way, you'll get a good scorching.

Ah, here we go.... one of these:

http://beprepared.com/block-magnesium-fire-starter.html?gclid=CPG7u6D4q7oCFUyk4AodHXkA_A

I always kept mine in the car during hunting season. That way I could always make a little fire to heat some water for coffee or to get warm if I needed.