Sweet! Remington has announced a new handgun...

It looks a lot like an old handgun, but appearances can be very deceiving!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/

While the action is based on the Pedersen system, not much else is the same. It's got a positive-action grip safety, it's in 9mm +P, and most importantly, MSRP is BELOW $400!

I've always wanted a Remington Model 51, but I've never been able to justify the price for a really nice one.

This may very well take care of that desire.

Am I excited?

Yep, just a little bit. :p

AK103K

I've always wanted a Remington Model 51, but I've never been able to justify the price for a really nice one.

This may very well take care of that desire.

Am I excited?

Yep, just a little bit.
Yup. Me too. :)

I still want a 51 too though. :D

When is the new one supposed to be available? I seem to have missed that part.

Looks like it's supposed to be released in February.

MSRP is $389, which means you'll probably be seeing them at the $330 to $350 mark.

And, I finally figured it out.

It looks like the bastard love child of a Remington 51 and a Whitney Wolverine!

Uncle Malice

Remington announces new R-51 single-stack 9mm

Parent article: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/

Remington recently announces this new gun, seemingly marketed to the CCW community. Personally, I think it's ugly as sin; based on the original model 51 from just about 100 years ago. I'm sure there are people out there who want the all metal design though. They are saying that it has an excellent 1911-ish trigger, so that may be a good thing. I guess I'll have to see one in person. At this point, I'm not terribly impressed by the aesthetics.

Photos from the article at The Firearm Blog:

R51-BeautyShot-660x621.jpg

R51-DetailGripSafety-541x660.jpg

Cheapshooter

The funny thing is that I actually like the classic look of the original 51. Might just be that cooked look of the new one.
The more I look at It the more I begin to like It. Kind of like the politically incorrect joke about larger women and mopeds.:D

JWT

Very interesting design from an aesthetic standpoint. I like it. If the quality is decent it should be a big seller at less than $400.

TunnelRat

The only thing that strikes me as off aesthetics wise is the rear sight. The dots for the rear sight are actually forward in the dovetail. It looks like it was done to make them less likely to snag, but it's pretty much the opposite of most pistols on the market.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I've been looking at these pictures off and on for about 2 hours now, trying to decide if I like it. I think I like it, but I'm still not entirely sure. Honestly, first thought was that it looks like something that Ming the Merciless would carry. I am certain that I'd like to shoot one, though.

Pond James Pond

I think it looks very nice and seems to combine two things that I've always liked but never found combined: 9x19 and the blowback design.

Most of the guns I find most pleasing to the eye are blowbacks: The Astra Constable, Sig P232, even the Makarov has a certain flare that I enjoy. This gun does the same for me: I find the lines very attractive.

What a shame then that one will probably never reach these shores!!

Glenn E. Meyer

Looking at the page - there's a new Sig in 380 - so that isn't dead either, given the Glock entry.

I like the Remington. Now how to get it into the house?

SaxonPig

First another copy of the 1911 and now this. Remington seems to be getting into the handgun market. Maybe they'll make the Python and Diamondback since Colt doesn't think they can make a profit on guns selling for up to 8K.

Wreck-n-Crew

Throw some dirt on it...;):D

My first impression was that it looked like Kel-Tec designed an updated version of the P-51!

Please tell me those are not rivets on the grip! Could have made them look less like rivets. Maybe black instead of bling?! First thing I would replace is those.

KMAX

The rear angle photos make the gun look sort of funky, but the profile shot looks a lot better. I kind of like it from the pics. It may look better or worse "live". I have said that if I could find a PPK in 9mm I would buy it. This might fit the bill. AFAIK there is no 9mm PPK. I just like the look and feel of the PPK, but not so thrilled by 380acp. The price of this gun looks good if the quality is acceptable. It is nice to see something kind of new coming on the market.