swaged or cast?

Old Dragoon

Tinker2
Whistle pigs are Groundhogs.
Have you never heard one whistle? Actually is is more of a series of squeaks or squeals, but it sounds like a whistle.

I really like your trade guns and isn't that a buggy rifle in the picture? Nice Guns!! OK I went back and read yoiur post Wow the Buggy Rifle is 1 inch across the flats, I didn't know they made them that big.

13/16 X 45 Cal makes for a light rifle also. 45 Cal is the largest Cal. you can put in a 13/16 bbl I think. Cut the bbl short. You'd have to check the twist so it'd shoot well. but you could get almost two short bbls out of one 40" long bbl. If that 13/16 were to be of the swamped variety that takes more weight out also.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:

Remington kid

Tinker2,The one my friend had looked like a small version of a Hawkin and it was really old. That thing was accurate too!
I'll keep and eye out and if I hear or see anything like that I'll let you know.

Steve499

My son has a .32 Hawken style rifle I got him when he was about 12. I was hoping he'd get hooked on muzzle loaders but it just didn't happen. Anyway, I think it was a CVA and was quite small, like it was made as a boy's rifle. I don't have it here to measure anything and my son is in Fargo ND on a job for a week so I don't even have access to it until he gets back. It would definately be one of the lighter rifles you would find assuming they are still available.

Back in the early 70s, there was a write-up in one of the gun magazines about a rifle which was supposedly going to be in production soon. It was a breech loading system similar to the Hall where the chamber tipped up for loading. It used a #4 buck as the bullet. The bore was smaller than the chamber so the ball was swaged down some upon firing.I don't remember much more about it except that I decided to buy one when they came out. They never did or if so, I haven't heard about it. That rifle was also small and handy. Too bad it didn't make it.

Steve