• 50% bullseye

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • never bullseye

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

L. Boscoe

Mike, the survey says 38% are Bullseye only, so maybe we won't be the last
of the bunch. Personal concentration, much like meditation, is a big part of the Bullseye appeal-IMHO

reynolds357

If I could +1 this I would.

It’s been my experience that the shooting “community” is really a collection of niches. One niche often cares little for the others, sometimes they seem outright hostile. It’s unfortunate because in trying activities from the different niches there’s something to learn in all of them. Not only that, but there’s fun in the new experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Over the years, the niches have fought like cats and dogs in our club.
I shot everything at some point in time over the years. Honestly, they are all at fault. The stupidest thing I have ever seen done was by bench rest rifle. Less than 5% of our club shoot B.R. center-fire. Almost everyone deer hunts. They closed the rifle range the entire weekend before opening day of Deer rifle season for a registered shoot. I thought someone was going to get shot over that.

mrray13

I got my start in bullseye in high school as part of the rifle team. Eventually stepped away for football as the seasons were at the same time and football coach made me choose. But it got me hooked and taught me the fundamentals.

Got into law enforcement, during my mandatory 40 course, the instructor yelled at me because I was literally shooting the heart out of my target and he couldn’t count the holes. Told me I was practicing “marksmanship masturbation”. As the years went on, he quit yelling at me because I wasn’t changing. I always felt a person could shoot fast and keep ‘em close at the same time.

Now that I’m retired from law enforcement, I still practice both bullseye and tactical shooting.

Rob228

the instructor yelled at me because I was literally shooting the heart out of my target and he couldn’t count the holes. Told me I was practicing “marksmanship masturbation

On the Marine Corps annual pistol qual if three or more holes are touching and there are 'missing' shots the scorer has to assume that the missing shots went through the existing mess of holes. Its not common, but not unusual to see people start to miss the whole target on purpose on the 7 yard line after firing their second pair. (much less common on the 15 and 25).

mrray13

On the Marine Corps annual pistol qual if three or more holes are touching and there are 'missing' shots the scorer has to assume that the missing shots went through the existing mess of holes. Its not common, but not unusual to see people start to miss the whole target on purpose on the 7 yard line after firing their second pair. (much less common on the 15 and 25).

That’s pretty much what Chuck did, assuming everything “missing” was in the hole..he just didn’t like it. He would say, “more holes, more bleeding.”

Shadow9mm

As a young ish shooter, 35, i would be interested in shooting bullseye. But i dont know much about it or where to get started. I have not actively looked for it, but i have never seen it advertised either.

L. Boscoe

Bullseye shooters only?

Look for the Encyclopedia of Bullseye shooting on the web. It will take you many months if not years to get through all the sources and instructions on that site.
one of these days I will figure out how to do the link thingy:cool:

L. Boscoe

You are spot on, Eindecker, BE is a sport that pits you against yourself, rather than a lot of action, you need to be very mindful, a trait that is rare in the
video game world

TunnelRat

I have played my fair share of video games. I hold myself to a fairly strict accuracy standard, frankly stricter than a number of the people I see show up at my range (some of whom are in fact older). I'm not sure video game playing inherently means a person wants to blast away and can't hit the broad side of a barn, but let's roll out those sterotypes regardless. That tendency to immediately judge younger shooters and write them off surely isn't correlated to the reduced participation in bullseye shooting sports.

stuckinthe60s

bullseye is about relaxation and detail. thats me.
todays generation is spray and pray, shootum' up bang bang.
makes one wonder where they get all that money and leads for ammo!
heck 50 rounds lasts me a long time on a Thursday night league shoot!
kids today? 10 seconds.

and fyi, im not being judgemental. I base my observations on fact. I own and run a range.
a different mindset exists. mindsets are the result of inputs. and where do most inputs today come from?

heck, ask a kid to get some stone and smoke his sights and he just looks at you.:rolleyes:

TunnelRat

their peers and the net.
where it use to be parents and a solid social foundation.

I hear you. Going to the net to interact with people of similar ages and interests is problematic. I can’t imagine people doing that and finding it productive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob228

It appears as if we have just hit the point in this discussion where the lack of new entrants into bullseye is due to bad parenting.

Yet again the bullseye crowd isn't doing itself any favors. There are other disciplines of shooting and they are every bit as challenging.

ChuteTheMall

Although I believe a well-rounded shooter practices a variety of disciplines, it's hard to convince an action shooter that a slow fire requirement of shooting 10 rounds within 10 minutes is useful when 10 seconds is enough.

Bullseye and Cowboy Action Shooting are both "aging out" along with their expensive equipment races which are too far away from EDC carry guns.

saleen322

I started out competition shooting in pistol silhouette, iron sights out to 200 meters. It was later that I tried Conventional (Bullseye, now Precision) and was mid pack in performance right at the start. I improved and got a chance to shoot some international; free pistol, standard, air, and center fire. Bullseye was tough and international was harder but if you give it an honest effort, it makes you a lot better shooter.

I have shot some PPC and did well because Bullseye, Silhouette, and International teach good fundamentals. I did have people who never did it say in Free pistol that a minute per shot is too long but I have yet to see any of the same people put on a clinic to show me how it is done.

44 AMP

Staff
I shoot bullseye TARGETS, but I don't compete in any Bullseye shooting matches. Does that make me a bullseye shooter, or not?

One of my favorite "games" was shooting the 200yd gong on the rifle range. Standing, one handed, left hand in left hip pocket. (lit Marlboro dangling from corner of mouth optional...;))

Looking into Cowboy shooting, didn't care for it. Powderpuff ammo, hits anywhere on targets at ranges I could spit and hit, all counted the same, and too many silly rules, that eventually went from just annoying to really irritating for me. Never minded the dress up part, that much, but not really for me...

Gave up all the "combat" type games around 40 years ago, I was a soldier, and young, once, but never a cop, never going to be one, and playing the run, dodge, & jump combined with pistol shooting, for speed just wasn't fun for me.

(also never liked being told when I HAD to reload my gun)

Lots of people shoot and practice shooting for the competition of matches. I don't. I shoot for my own personal recreation and the only person I compete against is me.

If you enjoy playing a certain shooting game, PLAY IT! And don't let anyone talk you out of that. But isn't the point to enjoy it?? IF you don't, why bother??

stuckinthe60s

spray and pray has replaced accuracy and concentration when it comes to pistols.

yet, there are more people in this world wanting to act like snipers than infantry when it comes to rifles.

strange observation.

44 AMP

Staff
yet, there are more people in this world wanting to act like snipers than infantry when it comes to rifles.

well, duh! :D:rolleyes: Infantry gets shot at! :eek::rolleyes:

Look at popular entertainment. Movies, TV, games...if you've got a rifle, you're a sniper. Anything else and you're John Wick (or Neo, :rolleyes:)