Surprised with a 10/22

pete2

I have 3 10/22 rifles and I want at least 2 more. One is a heavy bbl with 4 to 12 scope and laminated stock. One std. carbine with Williams peep sight, one std with a Bushnell red dot TRS 25.
WANT one more with a 4X or 3-9X scope, and #5 will get some kind of black rifle treatment.
There is some good info on Rimfire Central, trigger jobs etc. you can do yourself.
Big fun for not much money!

mxsailor803

Start by looking at rimfirecentral.com So much information over there. Those guys are master tinkers with the 10/22. I mean, a guy built a receiver out of brass just because lol.

Pahoo

Tinkerer's dream !!!

If you like to tinker as I do, the 10/22, is calling your name and mine. ... :)

Recently bought a Dealer Exclusive SS with Tapered target barrel. I came in a Birch Sporter. Had a laminated thumbhole stock for standard barrel. I do like the T/H stocks to I channeled it out for the tapered barrel. Did one of my home-made trigger jobs, buffer, home made bolt release and bolt handle. Depending on what I'm shooting, I switch back and forth between a RedDot and cheap CenterPoint scope. Not much invested and great performance .. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Boomer58cal

I have 2 of them. One would be about 10 years ols,the other?? I would guess 30 or more. Both just keep shooting. I likeshooting very small targets,so both are sporting a 24 power scope. Ya I know it's over kill,but manit's fun. You will have this one for years guy.

You're totally right on the just keeps shooting. My original 10/22 has 60,000+( stopped counting at 50,000 a few years ago) rounds through it. The original barrel still shot 4" groups at 100 yards with no rifling left in it. Straight smooth bore.

Boomer

Last edited:

ocharry

good deal and great wife!!!!

many changes can be made,,,good trigger should be first,, and the easy ones,,extended mag release and bolt release,,,maybe the new ones already have some of that stuff,,,but the lawyer trigger would have to go ,,lol

enjoy

HEY PANFISHER,,,that stuff you got sitting in the corner of your loading room,,,,,, if you want to get rid of it i may be interested:)....... well that is if you want to let it go????

ocharry

dgludwig

Conratulations on getting your new Ruger. Imo, every serious shooter should have at least one 10-22 in their inventory. And my advice is to take your wife shopping with you more often...;)

I recently purchased (not a gift from my wife :() a Talo-inspired, Mannlicher style (RBI W International), all s/s 10-22, with a nicely figured and checkered walnut stock from my lgs. Because I prefer a .22 sporter to be as trim and handy as practical, I installed a Williams receiver sight (WGRS-RU-22) on it and a trim carry sling. I think that the little Ruger carbine will make for a perfect camp gun/squirrel rifle.

Shadi Khalil

Ocharry,

Believe it or not, I actually like the stock trigger on my 10/22! I also like the the trigger my mkIII so maybe my standards are low :)

Ludwig,

Sounds like you got a nice set up. What type of sling are you using?

Edit to add:

I've been reading some online complaints about the finish in the all weather model. From what I read, the barrel and receiver have a painted on stainless finish. Anybody have any insight on what it is? I'm not concerned, just curious. As promised, a better shot of the new rifle:

Last edited:

Pahoo

Still that good !!!???

I read, the barrel and receiver have a painted on stainless finish.
I really don't know how else to express this but through various generations of 10/22's they have gotten cheaper in manufacturing. Don't get me wrong as I feel they are still that good. They have had various coatings and the latest is close to a two-part epoxy. With time, it will flake off, starting inside the receivers. The receivers themselves are an aluminum alloy and I hope the barrels are still steel. I dread the new generations as I wonder where else, they will cut corners. I'm fairly current on what is in your rifle and they are not the same as the older ones. ..... :cool:

Be Safe !!!

Matno

Ocharry,

Believe it or not, I actually like the stock trigger on my 10/22! I also like the the trigger my mkIII so maybe my standards are low.

10/22 triggers are not created equal. My dad got his before I was born, and it is a fantastic trigger (don't think it's ever even been cleaned). My brother and I got ours in the 80s, and they were both really heavy, plus mine was rough. Tuned both of them up really nicely, but it took quite a bit of stoning on mine. Recently bought a "tactical" model (the lightweight one with a flash hider), and it's target quality smooth. Go figure...

Shadi Khalil

Pahoo,

I figured it was something other than steel. Most of my collection is current and it seems everything is not what it used to be.

Boomer58cal

Yeah the trigger on my old school wood&blue was way better than my newer SS model's. About 5 lbs on the older one vs 10 lbs on the newer ones. So I eventually upgraded to a 2.25 lb trigger set. It will instantly cut your group size in half on the newer models.

Boomer

Homerboy

The stainless Rugers 10/22 and Mini 14 have a horrible finish. I had a mini with the stainless finish, and it had the coloring of duct tape. And the 10/22 stainless looks like it was sprayed on with a can of paint they bought at Walmart.

My 10/22 is about 10 years old. Put on Tapco stock just cuz I wanted the rail for putting on the Harris bipod and I like the collapsible stock for when I teach my son to shoot. The wood stock is still in the safe, ready to be installed again one day.

At 50 yards, I stick pencils in the dirt and shoot the erasers off with a Nikon Pro-Staff 3X9. Fun as hell.

Shadi Khalil

I was at the lGS yesterday looking at a take down model and realized the finish was different than what I have on mine. The receiver is indeed painted with some sort (two part epoxy) finish, however, the barrel is definitely not. The barrel appears to be a brushed stainless. The second picture gives a good comparison.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378829755867.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378829755867.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378829788315.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378829788315.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 25

Deja vu

Here is mine.

0910131040.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

let me know if you cant see it

It is a Tacsol rifle. It supports the mag release extension, a lighter 2 lbs trigger group, Forrest laminate stock, Leupold Rimfire scope, TacSol sbx barrel with a Element 2 silencer/suppressor.

Last edited:

ocharry

yep guys I too have an older 10-22,, and the trigger isn't to bad

I have a rifle that I built from scratch and another one in the works,,they both have stainless steel receivers and phat barrels.....and big scopes

the first one I put a valquartzen trigger in it,, this one I'm doing now has a kidd tigger in it,,,,i think the kidd gets the nod,,,both are about the same money but the kidd is just a little nicer

they will do min. of squirrel eye at 50yrds

the first one I just finished it and got it lined up,,did some group stuff with it with bulk ammo,,,next week we went to an apple seed and first qualifying target shot a 229 score,,next was a 232,,next was 235,,,i was really happy with it

this new one has the barrel threaded into the receiver,,,really ridged set up,,,should be a better shooter I hope

way to many aftermarket parts for these things,,,lol

they will shoot if you want to play with them,,for sure

ocharry

Shadi Khalil

Deja,

Now I can see, that's a great looking rifle.

Ocharry,

Sounds like you have a nice see up as well.

Well, after doing some research, I've decided I'm going to make a few modifications. Here's what I've come up with so far:

-GSG detachable bipod
-Pro mag barrel band
- Giles Sling
- Williams fire sights
- Some sort of reflex sight

I had the chance to try out a giles sling the other day and really liked it. It will also removed the need for any drilling which is a big plus. The pro mag barrel band allows the sling and bipod to easily be attached and also has a rail. I have not decided on a optic yet but know I don't want a scope. I'll most likely end up with some sort of reflex sight, provided I can find a decent one for under $100. Whichever optic I choose,# I'd like it to be something that can be attached and removed fairly quickly, hence the Williams sights as well.

As I said before, im happy with the rifle in its stock configuration, however, I feel a few simple mods give the rifle much more utility.

Can anyone recommend a moderately priced optic? I'm not looking to shoot really long distances so something that works well within 100 yards. Any other recommendations as far as the items on my list (different brands, products etc) is greatly appreciated.