Suggestions on a 300 yrd rifle

FirstFreedom

Ahhhh, thanks for the clarification, tINY! :) Not throwing your brass all over creation is plenty good enough reason for LRPV..... no, the HS stock is not "cheesy" on an absolute scale, but it is indeed "cheesiER" in my book than a fiberglass, wood, or laminate one. Just wish that the HS that comes with was fiberglass or similar instead.....

Last edited:

SavageSniper

Ok men, I made my choice. I got a Savage 12 FV in .223. I found one in a sports shop in the mall believe it or not. They had one in .223 and one in 22-250. The .223 was missing the scope, and they could not find it, the rings or the tool kit( trigger tool, allen for the scope or the lock) so they made me a deal. $389. Lets just say that I have plenty of cash left to buy a scope. Action feels real good, better than my other three Savages. Adjusted the trigger and that works just fine. I have a Simmons 4-12x40 that I put on it for now. Now its of to the range to see how it shoots. I'll keep you guys posted. Oh yea, they thru in a plastic hard case too:) :)

el Divino

I am saving to get a VERY good 300 to 400 yard rifle. I am strongly leaning to the .223 for a number of reasons. Cost of ammo for plinking and I am very familiar with the round are a few. I am also interested in the Rem 700 PSS. My local vendor says that it will shoot 1/2 to 1/3 moa if I do my part. I do know that I will need trigger work( must be at 8# from the factory). I am looking at spending in the $2000 range. The 700 pss is $799 without scope, so I would have money for a good scope and some trigger work. What do you think?

Ok men, I made my choice. I got a Savage 12 FV in .223. I found one in a sports shop in the mall believe it or not. They had one in .223 and one in 22-250. The .223 was missing the scope, and they could not find it, the rings or the tool kit( trigger tool, allen for the scope or the lock) so they made me a deal. $389. Lets just say that I have plenty of cash left to buy a scope. Action feels real good, better than my other three Savages. Adjusted the trigger and that works just fine. I have a Simmons 4-12x40 that I put on it for now. Now its of to the range to see how it shoots. I'll keep you guys posted. Oh yea, they thru in a plastic hard case too

$2000 what a waste!!!

Now that you go cheap, you have enough money for another Savage package rifle in 300 WSM or 300 win mag for 1000 yds shooting and even buying this you will still have enough money for another 2 Savages, how about a combo Rifle-Shotgun and a all around rifle in our venerable 30-06 :D

Last edited:

SavageSniper

Ok I just got back from the range. I ran about 60 rounds thru the new rifle. I then started to group test it. All that I could find on sunday was rem 55gr ammo. I tested it at 100 and about 290 yards. The one with the quarter is at 100 yards. I really do not think it was a "waste". I am very pleased. Now I am in search of 65-75 grain ammo. This was my best group at 290 yrds. The wind was a factor today, and I am sticking to it:D

Attachments

• 0401071600[1] (4).jpg
    0401071600[1] (4).jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 0401071559[1] (2).jpg
    0401071559[1] (2).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 48

tINY

Not bad at all for the cheap ammo.

Since you saved so much money, you could consider a different stock. Check the fore-end to make sure the barrel doesn't touch the stock when you bend it a bit. A lot of the synthertic savage stocks are not very good this way. It will effect your shot-to-shot consistency.

What are you shopping for in a telescope for that thing?

-tINY

Last edited:

SavageSniper

Thanks Tiny. I have allready been looking at the Boyds sight. The stock has to go, but I knew that. I am also looking at a few other stock makers. As for the scope, I really like the Bushnell Elite 4200 in 6-24x40.