Suggestions on a 300 yrd rifle

SavageSniper

I am saving to get a VERY good 300 to 400 yard rifle. I am strongly leaning to the .223 for a number of reasons. Cost of ammo for plinking and I am very familiar with the round are a few. I am also interested in the Rem 700 PSS. My local vendor says that it will shoot 1/2 to 1/3 moa if I do my part. I do know that I will need trigger work( must be at 8# from the factory). I am looking at spending in the $2000 range. The 700 pss is $799 without scope, so I would have money for a good scope and some trigger work. What do you think?

FirstFreedom

Remington is coming out with a brand new trigger "system" on all their model 700 and model 7 rifles, ostensibly to compete with Savage accutrigger etc.

You might wait for that to actually hit the shelves. Otherwise, I like your plan & choices.

hodaka

I like your choice

I have a 700 VLS with a B&L (Bushnell) 4000 scope. Just under $1000 in the package about 5-6 years ago and is very similar to the one you are looking at. With my reloads it shoots under an inch at 200yds with many 1/2 in groups at that range. Totally factory configuration, except I did float the barrel. It originally had a raised tab in the front of the stock. The trigger adjusted pretty good although it has a touch of creep and is a bit inconsistent. If I were to do one thing to it I would add a Jewell trigger someday.

SavageSniper

I will mainly use this rifle for paper, but I want to be able to take crows out all the way on the "other side of the field".
I have read that the throat of the chamber is too long for max. accuracy and that reloads should not be seated as deep(the bullet). I do not reload at the moment, but that will change.

hodaka

I don't know about the throat, but I seat 52gr SMK's at 2.28 and they work real good. I get about the same accuracy with several different powders too. It seems that Remington can make a decent barrel afterall.

kayakersteve

Weatherby 22-250 works great for me

I use mine totally stock with Leupold 4-12 scope and Harris Bipod and can easily shoot 1 litre pop bottles at 400 yards. I am sure it's capable of much longer shots, but I don't find that kind of open area to shoot in very often. Why spend that much on a gun, then worry about cost of ammo?

sanson

in my humble opinion at 300 yds the 223 is not a good hunting round anymore.
.243 still has lots of punch left at that range

SavageSniper

I have considered the 22-250 and the .243. I like both, and I have a .243. The reason why I am leaning for the .223 and the 700 platform is that it is what others are judged by or most designed from. As for cost of rounds, I would rather pay top dollar on the "tool" and save money on the maintenance, which is what alot of people do not understand. Kinda like spending 50k on a car that gets 50 miles to the gallon. If I run 10,000 rounds down the barrel over my lifetime, it really adds up. For what I need it for the.223 is plenty. I only intend on shooting nothing bigger than a yote with it. I have always dreamed of having a Sako though.....;)

tINY

You should look at the Savage LRPV. It's a single shot with a port on the left.

Makes a lot of sense if you are shooting mostly form the bench and want a nice stiff action. And it has a fast twist for those 77+ grain 223 bullets - another boon for long range precision.

-tINY

sneaky pete

From your description of projected usage I'd recommend the Thompson Center Encore with a "Match " barrel in .223 Rem. or the .223 Ackley Improved. They would have the .223Rem chamber not the 5.56 Nato so the long throat situation isn't there. Not very traditional but it should work OK THANX--- SNEAKY

goalie

Savage. Either the LRPV left-port, right-bolt model, or any of the heavy-barrel varmint (or Law Enforcement) rifles would shoot well enough.

Take the money you save on the rifle and trigger job and buy a nice scope.

629 shooter

I am also interested in the Rem 700 PSS. My local vendor says that it will shoot 1/2 to 1/3 moa if I do my part.

Doing your part might be reloading with quality components in addition to you shooting technique. If you reload that will be a great aid if you find your bullets need to be seated out for best accuracy. I have a 700 LTR which is sort of like a short barrel(20") version of the 700P/700PSS.

I do reload for it and for best accuracy do seat the bullets out closer to the rilfling. Yes , it does have a long throat , but it is also the most accurate rifle I ever loaded for! The current 700 Police /Tactical .223s also have the 1 in 9" twist barrels which allows the use of the heavier bullets like the Sierra 69 MatchKing.

I also have .223 Savage 12BVSS stainless with laminated stock , it is a good shooter too and another I would recommend. It also has the 1 in 9" twist.

FirstFreedom

So Tiny, does that LRPV Savage eject the shells to the left, or not eject them (manual pull)? I don't know why you'd want that gun over the dual-pillar-bedded 12 Varminter Low Profile Single Shot, particularly at a higher price - the extra heavy barrel of the LRPV negates any weight advantage gained by its lighter (and much cheesier) plastic stock, so I admit that I don't get it unless there's some advantage to the left-hand port.

tINY

Well, I like the laminated stock on my 12BVss, but I wouldn't call the H&S Precision stock on the LRPV "cheesy"......

The idea of the single shot with the left port is that you can grab empty case with your support hand as you operate the bolt with your right. Then grab the next cartridge with your left and close the bolt with your right. If you shoot off a bench and save your brass, this makes a lot of sense. Some of the bench resters have done this for a while - but spend 3 times as much or more on the action.

If you are looking for a rifle to carry down the trail and shoot from field positions, the LRPV wouldn't be a good choice. But the OP wanted it mostly for paper with occasional long shots at crows and maybe an oatey...

The varmint low-profile is not a bad choice either, but I'd give the edge to the heavier barrel and the single shot action from the bench. The H&S stock may be less aesthetically pleasing than a laminated one, but it's not bad and has a few advantages.

-tINY

mikejonestkd

my 2 cents on the topic:

remington 700 VS or the newer VSII. affordable, accurate, decent trigger ( hopefully the new trigger is even better than the old ones ),good value and will last a lifetime. .223 rem is all you need and it is cheap to shoot. I also like the look and feel of the VLS, laminated stock and blued action and barrel.

Ruger model 12 varmint rifles, as mentioned above are also a good choice.