suggestion for 6x scopes

PawPaw

WyomingWhitetail said:
that is one thing that concerns me about the weaver as both guns will be long action and ive heard that mounting them can be touchy on long actions.

I agree that nothing in this wide world is quite as long as a Savage long action and mine gave me fits until I figured out what I needed.

I've got extended rings and extended bases on my Savage 110. It works for me and sets up quite nicely.

Give Brownell's a call. They'll fix you up with what you need.

im seriously considering the weaver 6x or even a 4x and a good pair of binocs to do most of the looking with instead of using the scope. The Leupolds are nice im sure of that but so far i haven't heard a single bad thing about the weavers and for the money im thinking they would be worth a try.

huntinaz

im seriously considering the weaver 6x or even a 4x and a good pair of binocs to do most of the looking with instead of using the scope. The Leupolds are nice im sure of that but so far i haven't heard a single bad thing about the weavers and for the money im thinking they would be worth a try.

Definitely safer to use binoculars for looking and a scope for shooting. My experience with Weaver has been great, all with older scopes though. The old K-4's are still going strong after years of use. And the price is right. Durable, dependable, affordable.

langenc

""You may find the Leu 6x42 does not have a lot of extra 1 in tube length,either.However,they do have good eye relief.You might try going to big box sporting goods and doing some looky-loo research.Some of them have a wooden dummy gun with rubber rings to try scopes,""from above

The Leupold and Nikon seem to be 'short scopes and dont allow much room for forward--backward in mounting. I fooled with extended rings and still had trouble. I just went back to the K4 (on my 03A3)w/ post, a wonderful scope.

lefteyedom

Get a Variable 3X9

I am as old school as anybody but sometimes one should be willing to embrace modern technology. 30-40 years ago a fix power scopes could truly be said to be stronger built than variable scopes. Today's quality made variable power scopes are as tough as any fixed power. Like carburetors verse fuel injection, times change.

If you buy a high quality 3X9X40 scope you will get a better scope for the dollar. Why? because there is such a demand for the 3X9 scope that market place drives the price down.

If you are really worried about your scope failing in the field My suggestion is to buy a second scope with same quick detach rings. If you zero the scope in and remove it, it will be close enough to hunt with should your primary scope fail.

See through mounts place to scope too high for a good cheek weld. Plus the fact they are ugly as sin.

I have a fix 10 power on my 308 target rifle, but when I had to press it into service as a deer rifle I swapped the scope to a 3X9. It is not the top end magnification that is helpful, it is the wild field of view of the lower magnifications.

If you really like carrying a 6 power scope then simply set the magnification ring at 6 and leave it there.

Even here in wide open Wyoming there are many times when game is found in close cover. Nothing worse than not finding the deer/elk 35 yards in front of you in your scope. Maybe seeing only brown and not know what part of the deer/elk you are looking at.

Picher

The K-6 is an excellent, tough scope! I had a Weaver K-2.5 and was able to kill woodchucks at ranges beyond 400 yards, provided someone with binoculars spotted for me and the chuck's side-hill mound was visible in the scope.

The power of a scope is not a relevant measure of the increase in accuracy afforded over that of iron sights. One needs to consider the fact that both target and reticle are on the same plane and brightness is enhanced. There is also no change in sighting accuracy when the sun is at different places with regard to line of sight, as there is with an exposed front sight and rear notch.

Also, a 6X scope with a target compatible with reticle size, can be nearly equal in accuracy to a 20X scope, according to tests done many years ago with three scopes and iron sights mounted on the same bar.